cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Message to ASUS about Unnecessary Hardware in their Gaming Laptops. Please Input

molokow
Level 7
(1) Blu-ray Drive .... we can always put an external one.. I personally just download my stuff, and windows _ I just usb Iso.
(2) Card Reader... who the heck needs one of these? They have micro SD now, and anyways your camera can just connect to your computer.
(3) DVI Port...while yes it can be useful.. I have never, ever used one of these to connect a monitor.. always used a HDMI, and anyways if you really, really wanted to, you could get an adapter from HDMI to DVI
(4) Ram that is easily accessably, i.e., not under the keyboard... all though I understand cheap ram is just as good as expensive ram, other people do not.
(5) Do something with the battery. For me, I usually plug in my laptop for gaming, and when I am not gaming the battery lasts for hours... SO why the hell are people using a battery for gaming (make this a point when advertising.. I would not buy a laptop for exceptional gaming hours on battery). I am sure every gamer knows to plug in their laptop.. I mean really, where are you playing your games without a power point?
(6) Various adjustable keyboard colours.. Here you will win people over who have depression, and well, yeh it makes your laptop a little more interesting.
(7) Having the best GPU is not everything, and we understand the cost involved.. but perhaps you could work something out with a detachable gpu that is running around in the market instead on a soldered on board one.

Thanks
I have G751J - the overweight laptop... but I love it... CHeers.
253 Views
49 REPLIES 49

Rares95 wrote:
Also the button is on the low side (that you usually grab the laptop from) and sometimes the ODD opens (when trying to move the laptop for a presentation for example)

This is one of the reasons I bought an HDD caddy and took out the Bluray Drive.

Cables do get in the way of my mouse, especially when I'm fast-charging my phone. I'd rather have the majority of ports on the left side of the laptop.

Rares95 wrote:
Also the button is on the low side (that you usually grab the laptop from) and sometimes the ODD opens (when trying to move the laptop for a presentation for example)


Agree there - experience this almost every day. Sometimes I play aorund with the side of the laptop to open it just for fun ^^. No, but seriously, it is in such a spot that it is easy to open if you even grab the thing to move it 2 inches.

Then again you can't say it's hard to open.

Cables on the right side can be an issue, yes, but I find most of the time it's barely worth mentioning. You kinda get used to these quirks, most all laptops have them in one form or another. It's par for the course.

Edweird wrote:
Agree there - experience this almost every day. Sometimes I play aorund with the side of the laptop to open it just for fun ^^. No, but seriously, it is in such a spot that it is easy to open if you even grab the thing to move it 2 inches.

Then again you can't say it's hard to open.

Cables on the right side can be an issue, yes, but I find most of the time it's barely worth mentioning. You kinda get used to these quirks, most all laptops have them in one form or another. It's par for the course.

I always use 90 degree angled extensions for all my cables to make things more managable. Right now i have it on a pad and using 90 degree down for usb hdmi and thunderbolt making all the cords run under the laptop and away from the mouse. They are literally $1 to $2 a piece on ebay. Heres a picture of the USB 3 ones but they also make them for everything else.
51462
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TugaPower
Level 8
@JustinThyme me too, use all the thing, sdcard, vga port to connect second monitor and BlueRay to watch movies, so, quite happy that my LapTop have this included.

molokow
Level 7
Well, my friends, you are missing the point.

Running around with a 3.5 kg behemoth and a camera seems unrealistic. And, yes, MSI do get it.
If you notice they have taken out all the extra junk gamers do not need.
Ger with the times.
Ok, Edweird, you are a spanner, not a tool.
Sometimes, it can be hard to let ASUS know what does suck.. Just say it.

I have a ASUS mini ITX (for my desktop), and that is an amazing product.

molokow wrote:
Well, my friends, you are missing the point.

Running around with a 3.5 kg behemoth and a camera seems unrealistic. And, yes, MSI do get it.
If you notice they have taken out all the extra junk gamers do not need.
Ger with the times.
Ok, Edweird, you are a spanner, not a tool.
Sometimes, it can be hard to let ASUS know what does suck.. Just say it.

I have a ASUS mini ITX (for my desktop), and that is an amazing product.


You are missing the point. The machine you want exist and is being serviced by other makes. If that is what you want in a machine go buy one. If Asus thinks they can make a good profit selling such a machine you will see one.

I am personally very happy with my g751JY and use every aspect of it. I don't know what you call a gamer, I certainly consider myself one, heck I would wager money I've had my Steam account since the time you were in grade school.

The G751 is a desktop replacement device, it is meant to be versatile... like a desktop. It is quite simple, I hope you get it now. I find my laptop to be amazing in this role and wouldn't trade it for a crippled, overheating sleek looking device that self professed 'gamers' drool over. Function over form for me, thanks.

molokow wrote:
Well, my friends, you are missing the point.

Running around with a 3.5 kg behemoth and a camera seems unrealistic. And, yes, MSI do get it.
If you notice they have taken out all the extra junk gamers do not need.
Ger with the times.
Ok, Edweird, you are a spanner, not a tool.
Sometimes, it can be hard to let ASUS know what does suck.. Just say it.

I have a ASUS mini ITX (for my desktop), and that is an amazing product.


We are not missing the point. We get that you prefer a stripped down machine. Problem is all of the stripping you are suggesting will do little in the realms of weight reduction. Not everyone shares your sentiment. I like all the amenities. I knew that this machine was more of a dektop replacement than an ultra portable solution. Powerful CPUs and GPUs generate heat, to dissipate the heat you need copper. Copper is not light. There are plenty of other solutions on the market, if you want ultra lightweight then maybe you should look to something like a microsoft surface that you can get an I& processor, 512GB SSD and crappy grahics for what you would pay for a G751JT maxed out.

You call it junk that users dont need and I call it necessary. No optical drive? How do I play my old GTA III with no optical drive? Or my old Unreal tournament? They both require a play disk to be inserted. I use all of the installed devices and skipped right by other manufacturers including MSI and others because there was no optical drive. If I had bought one of those then I would have to pack around an external optical drive that is actually heavier so that would go over like a rudder on a ducks azz. I use all of the processing power for multiple applications including barch processing with Adobe CS for 500 images at a whack.

The only thing that sucks is someone who buys something then bashes the product because its not like something else that obviously you should have bought that product instead. I hear the same complaints from people over camera gear. I have a side business as a professional photographer and pro grade cameras and lenses are not only expensive, they are heavy! When Im shooting outdoor sports my go to lens, a canon EF400mm F2.8L when coupled with the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV camera body weighs in at 17 lbs and retails for $15K. I listen to people say how they can get equal images from an 8 oz point and shoot. Then they come crying of why they cant get decent action shots, low light shots, etc. If you want the quality you have to put up the $$ and deal with the weight, otherwise you cant get images like this from 100 yards away. Yes thats olympic team captain Christie Rampone of NY SkyBlue in their WPS inaugural game making Marta of LA Sol look like an idiot. No its not a choke hold, she ran right into it.





“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
We are not missing the point. We get that you prefer a stripped down machine. Problem is all of the stripping you are suggesting will do little in the realms of weight reduction. Not everyone shares your sentiment. I like all the amenities. I knew that this machine was more of a dektop replacement than an ultra portable solution. Powerful CPUs and GPUs generate heat, to dissipate the heat you need copper. Copper is not light. There are plenty of other solutions on the market, if you want ultra lightweight then maybe you should look to something like a microsoft surface that you can get an I& processor, 512GB SSD and crappy grahics for what you would pay for a G751JT maxed out.

You call it junk that users dont need and I call it necessary. No optical drive? How do I play my old GTA III with no optical drive? Or my old Unreal tournament? They both require a play disk to be inserted. I use all of the installed devices and skipped right by other manufacturers including MSI and others because there was no optical drive. If I had bought one of those then I would have to pack around an external optical drive that is actually heavier so that would go over like a rudder on a ducks azz. I use all of the processing power for multiple applications including barch processing with Adobe CS for 500 images at a whack.

The only thing that sucks is someone who buys something then bashes the product because its not like something else that obviously you should have bought that product instead. I hear the same complaints from people over camera gear. I have a side business as a professional photographer and pro grade cameras and lenses are not only expensive, they are heavy! When Im shooting outdoor sports my go to lens, a canon EF400mm F2.8L when coupled with the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV camera body weighs in at 17 lbs and retails for $15K. I listen to people say how they can get equal images from an 8 oz point and shoot. Then they come crying of why they cant get decent action shots, low light shots, etc. If you want the quality you have to put up the $$ and deal with the weight, otherwise you cant get images like this from 100 yards away. Yes thats olympic team captain Christie Rampone of NY SkyBlue in their WPS inaugural game making Marta of LA Sol look like an idiot. No its not a choke hold, she ran right into it.




We are all wasting our time here man. I don't get the self loathing he has for his purchase either... I can only speculate it was a gift and he is acting out because it isn't exactly what he wanted.

Anyhow regarding old game disc I've had great success with this product and not juggling them any more. You do need the original disc to be read the first time though. Afterwards it is no longer needed: http://www.slysoft.com/en/gamejackal.html Helps prevent damage to your old disc as well. Important for me I need to keep such things locked up and out of the way due to having little ones. I havn't tested it on Win10 though, don't know why it wouldn't work. Seams not affected by all DRM protection as well, I've yet to have an issue.

joshindaphils wrote:
We are all wasting our time here man. I don't get the self loathing he has for his purchase either... I can only speculate it was a gift and he is acting out because it isn't exactly what he wanted.

Anyhow regarding old game disc I've had great success with this product and not juggling them any more. You do need the original disc to be read the first time though. Afterwards it is no longer needed: http://www.slysoft.com/en/gamejackal.html Helps prevent damage to your old disc as well. Important for me I need to keep such things locked up and out of the way due to having little ones. I havn't tested it on Win10 though, don't know why it wouldn't work. Seams not affected by all DRM protection as well, I've yet to have an issue.


Whats does it do? create an image of the play disc on the HDD? Ive tried other ways before but could never get past the well hidden partition.



“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Whats does it do? create an image of the play disc on the HDD? Ive tried other ways before but could never get past the well hidden partition.


It has different methods it will employ, including profiles of what is needed for some games. It can do full disc images as well. There is a free trial if you want to test it out.