cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple questions about using an optical bay drive caddy on G750

linear214
Level 7
The first question is: Will any generic 9.5mm caddy work? How about 12.7mm?

Second question: Generally when you install a caddy, do you just use the front cover plastic of the caddy, or is there a way to remove the cover plate from the preinstalled Bluray drive and use it on the caddy? I would hope there's a way to do the latter, since that would maintain the aesthetics of the laptop.

Thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
I think yes it normal procedure to move your cover from the older drive and put in on the new drive. I would have a look at what your Current drive is 9.5 or 12.5 and purchase the same size. Not quite sure why you would spend money to replace a BR drive it should do anything that any other Optical drive would do. If its a hard drive you want to put in then 9.5 would be the maximum the thicker hard drive are not based on the Same 2.5" format.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I think yes it normal procedure to move your cover from the older drive and put in on the new drive.

This is what I needed to hear, thanks.

And that's right I'm planning to put a hard drive in it. Obviously I wouldn't be putting another optical drive in it, the in-built Blu ray drive is more than sufficient.

Thanks for your help.

Faberge
Level 7
I have done similar operations with my G752 notebook and yes, you can easily remove the front bezel cover from the DVD tray and install it on Optibay adapter. There are several videos in the Internet where u can look how exactly do this, just note there will be two small hooks on both sides u have to move a little bit to release the bezel. Use the flat screw driver or whatever u see fit for that particular purpose.

As for me, my current set up is 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD (default), both 2.5 inch size, installed in the notebook.

linear214
Level 7
I have done similar operations with my G752 notebook and yes, you can easily remove the front bezel cover from the DVD tray and install it on Optibay adapter. There are several videos in the Internet where u can look how exactly do this, just note there will be two small hooks on both sides u have to move a little bit to release the bezel. Use the flat screw driver or whatever u see fit for that particular purpose.

Perfect, thank you very much!