cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.1 surround from laptop to TV via HDMI doesn't work

Scave
Level 7
Here is my question on SuperUser.

I have an ASUS G75VX with an NVidia GeForce 670MX card. I have it hooked up to my Sony Bravia xbr55x850 via HDMI. The Bravia is hooked to a Visio 5.1 surround system via Optical. Here is what my output device looks like:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/ASHI1.png

When I try to configure it, I get the following options:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/lCsjp.png

When I test either of the bottom two (one is for side surround channels) it outputs both rear and front to the front. The subwoofer test makes no sound at all.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make this work?
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
Maybe try using the Mini Display port either direct or adapted to HDMI??? Just a shot in the dark I really have no idea.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Have you tried restarting you NB after you changed the settings to HDMI?
Sometimes that will work (works for me), leave HDMI hooked up then restart your NB.
You can also try the fn+f8, or try the windows key+p.

Hope any of these suggestions help!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

taz291819
Level 8
It's because of the way you have it hooked up. The TV won't pass 5.1 uncompressed to your receiver.

You have two options:

1. If your receiver has HDMI inputs, connect the laptop to it, and then connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI.

2. If your receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, use S/PDIF out of the laptop to the receiver for audio, and HDMI out of the laptop to the TV for video. (Note, this option will only give you surround when playing something that has been encoded to Dolby Digital or DTS, as S/PDIF only passes 2-channel uncompressed).