Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 inch gaming laptop from Asus ?

bandieiner
Level 7
Hello everyone !
i am new to this forum.

i am currently looking out for a new 14 inch laptop and while searching the net i did not find alot good laptops in that class. Good for me means:
- use of strong quadcore
- 1600x900 display IPS
- new nvidia graphics
- excellent cooling(low heat levels) & low noise
- and good keyboard (or at least one which is not made cheap)

most of what i found are cooking the hardware & are too loud. (also partly they exceed a purchaseprice of over EUR 1500 which is a nogo)

then i saw that asus had an older 14 inch model(G46vw) which was cool and quite. seeing the different review i started to like thatone - but somehow this model got never updated.

must be a reason for that i think - so my question is if ASUS is still interested in the 14 inch gaming market or if that market is too small / not lucrative ?

any answer appreciated
b
4 REPLIES 4

Fishman922
Level 7
Asus has not said anything about updating the G46. It was a successful laptop so I don't understand why they don't update it. There are a few other forum threads on this topic, I don't know how recent they are but there really has been no news on this front. Wish I had a different answer for you.

I have been told Alienware's 13 incher is pretty cool (external graphics) and runs fairly cool (I don't know how quit it is). It also seems to fit in your price range, with a QHD screen, an i7, GTX 860m, 16GB ram, 386GB SSD. Seems like a pretty decent little laptop to me. I wish Asus had something current.

Hi Fishman,

yes i was already considering that model. It seems to be a good quality build. On the other hand they offer only a ULV processor - and at that point it is a bit strange looking at the benchmarks of the videocards - seems that its limiting. And up to now i did not read an updated review from notebookcheck with the i7-5500u processor in combination with the GTX card.

another question - do you know which resolution is better to be used with downscaling: from 1920 x 1080 down to 1600x900 - or QHD down to 1600x900

which one does look better ? or does it not matter ? (for me on such a small screen like 13,3 (AW) or 14 inch a high resolution does not make sense (or maybe i am too old...)

b

bandieiner wrote:
Hi Fishman,

yes i was already considering that model. It seems to be a good quality build. On the other hand they offer only a ULV processor - and at that point it is a bit strange looking at the benchmarks of the videocards - seems that its limiting. And up to now i did not read an updated review from notebookcheck with the i7-5500u processor in combination with the GTX card.

another question - do you know which resolution is better to be used with downscaling: from 1920 x 1080 down to 1600x900 - or QHD down to 1600x900

which one does look better ? or does it not matter ? (for me on such a small screen like 13,3 (AW) or 14 inch a high resolution does not make sense (or maybe i am too old...)

b

You are definitely right about the high screen resolution, I am in college and have 20/20 vision and I still think QHD is just too many pixels for a 13 inch display....

Yes the processor is most certainly the limiting non upgradeable factor in that laptop. Only Dell would make a fully upgradable graphics solution with a soldered in processor 😛 How limiting depends on your usage. If it is all gaming then you would probably be okay for a while. If you are doing video editing then you want a full true quad core processor.

As far as the down-scaling the resolution it is hard to say. Maybe someone else can give a better answer, but from my experience every screen takes it differently. what you would probably want to do is just increase the font sizes in windows to compensate. If you have a specific application that requires 1600x900 then you might want to go find an AW 13 in the store and give it a shot. The one HD Dell I have access to (XPS 12) takes down-scaling very poorly, makes it look downright awful. It also cuts off the borders of the screen to early. The other laptops i have take it much better, so it really does vary.

The other option would be to go to 15-inch, which has its pros such as being able to find a case or backpack for it. I bought the only backpack i could find that fit my 14-inch G46VW, so You might want to consider that. If you decide to go 15-inch then you should go ROG (although AW has us on upgradable graphics for now). Hope that helps! Good luck! Let me know if you have anymore questions, and what you get/think of it!

Oh yeah and Welcome to the forum!

Hi Fishmen,

thanks for your infos - i think i will give the AW13 a try when it gets updated with the 960m - lets see (15 inch is too large for me)

cu around

b