cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.35V memory required in G751/G771/G551s (same as G750)

X-ROG
Level 15
Please note we fit 1.35V memory into the G751s (and G750s). Haswell CPUs require this and using 1.5V memory can sometimes cause problems along the lines of:
> Overheating
> Damage to the CPU IMC (due to the increased potential difference)
> Greater battery use than our stated values.

There is more discussion and recommendations of memory to use in this thread, as both G750 and G751's use the same Intel 4th Gen 'Haswell' processors: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1-35V-memory-is-required!
140,105 Views
151 REPLIES 151

Arnas
Level 7
Hi. What is need to be done when upgrading ram? On G750 you turn off it and pull out the battery. On g751 just turn off?

Arnas wrote:
Hi. What is need to be done when upgrading ram? On G750 you turn off it and pull out the battery. On g751 just turn off?


Yes, just turn it off. I didn't have any problems. Turned it off, flipped it over, removed the access panel (one screw) and away I went. More details here. Don't forget to run a memory stability test after you've installed your new RAM.
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

Arnas
Level 7
Thanks buddy :D. Appreciate your help.

dav_simonyan
Level 7

dav.simonyan wrote:
Will Mac Memory work on G751JM? This kit:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-mac-memory-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-sodimm-memory-kit-cmsa16gx3m2...


dav.simonyan, it's best to match the memory make/model if you can when adding memory, for the best compatibility.

For me getting another SODIMM of the same Hyundai HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB installed originally was the the best match.

You can check using CPU-Z SPD tab for what memory you have installed, and then search for the best price for the same make/model SODIMM.

46272

CPU-Z 1.71.1 Custom ROG version
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.71.1-rog-en.exe
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.71.1-rog-en.zip

The G751's seem to be better at handling mixed memory configurations, different makes at same specs, but there really is no reason to not get the same memory - there are lots of places to get it online and at a good price.

Please come back and let us know what you get and how it works out 🙂

dav_simonyan
Level 7
hmscott, I bought my G751 with 16GB Ram(on the specs in store they mentioned 2x8GB), I asked them also about voltage of the ram, that it should be 1.35V DDR3L Ram instead of 1.5V of simple DDR3 and they said that there is 1.35V Rams. When I reached home I installed CPU-Z(the same CPU-Z ROG version you've mentioned above 🙂 ) and saw that there is 2x4GB DDR3L Kingston Rams(1.35V) and one 8GB DDR3(!) TwinMoss Ram with 1.5V voltage. I called them and said that I warned them regarding 1.5V rams. The seller was surprised(maybe the seller didn't know that they changed configuration, I don't know) and said that they will replace that DDR3 Ram to DDR3L with no charge. Then they called me 10 minutes later and said that they have ONLY Corsair Mac Memory Kit(CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11) and they are ready to replace the wrong Ram with one of Kit's Ram. Also they suggest me to pay a little more and put a whole Kit. Then I come here and asked that question in this thread 🙂 An hour later I decided to put the whole Kit(since the models and timings are different, 11-11-11-28 on 2x4GB and 11-11-11-30 on 2x8GB, I think that it will work more stable with the whole kit). So now I have 24GB DDR3L ram. I have used my notebook widely about a week(for programming with 2 VMs, ran PCMark and 3DMark multiple times, also a little for gaming, e.t.c.) and there is no issue yet(I hope wouldn't be in future).

dav.simonyan wrote:
hmscott, I bought my G751 with 16GB Ram(on the specs in store they mentioned 2x8GB), I asked them also about voltage of the ram, that it should be 1.35V DDR3L Ram instead of 1.5V of simple DDR3 and they said that there is 1.35V Rams. When I reached home I installed CPU-Z(the same CPU-Z ROG version you've mentioned above 🙂 ) and saw that there is 2x4GB DDR3L Kingston Rams(1.35V) and one 8GB DDR3(!) TwinMoss Ram with 1.5V voltage. I called them and said that I warned them regarding 1.5V rams. The seller was surprised(maybe the seller didn't know that they changed configuration, I don't know) and said that they will replace that DDR3 Ram to DDR3L with no charge. Then they called me 10 minutes later and said that they have ONLY Corsair Mac Memory Kit(CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11) and they are ready to replace the wrong Ram with one of Kit's Ram. Also they suggest me to pay a little more and put a whole Kit. Then I come here and asked that question in this thread 🙂 An hour later I decided to put the whole Kit(since the models and timings are different, 11-11-11-28 on 2x4GB and 11-11-11-30 on 2x8GB, I think that it will work more stable with the whole kit). So now I have 24GB DDR3L ram. I have used my notebook widely about a week(for programming with 2 VMs, ran PCMark and 3DMark multiple times, also a little for gaming, e.t.c.) and there is no issue yet(I hope wouldn't be in future).


dav.simonyan, so you bought 2 x 8 GB CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11 and left the 2x4GB in for a total of 24GB?

Or, what is the final 24GB configuration?

If you can replace all 4 slots with the CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11 that would be best performance.

I don't think the memory is running in Dual Channel mode unless the dealer swapped slots back to front to pair up the 4GB SODIMM's with each other and the 8GB SODIMM's with each other - check under the memory tab in CPU-Z to see if it says Single or Dual:

46361

I think it is slots 1,3 and 2,4 that need pairing to enable Dual Channel mode

Good job checking out the included RAM configuration. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
dav.simonyan, so you bought 2 x 8 GB CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11 and left the 2x4GB in for a total of 24GB?

Or, what is the final 24GB configuration?

If you can replace all 4 slots with the CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11 that would be best performance.

I don't think the memory is running in Dual Channel mode unless the dealer swapped slots back to front to pair up the 4GB SODIMM's with each other and the 8GB SODIMM's with each other - check under the memory tab in CPU-Z to see if it says Single or Dual:

46361

I think it is slots 1,3 and 2,4 that need pairing to enable Dual Channel mode

Good job checking out the included RAM configuration. 🙂


hmscott, yes you are right, I have 8GB on 1, 3 slots and 4GB on 2, 4 slots and CPU-Z shows Dual Channel.
46375

>If you can replace all 4 slots with the CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11 that would be best performance.

Agreed, but it's a little complicated. To swap slots 2 and 4 I need to take out front panel also, because they are under keyboard. Also it will void the warranty as I know.

dav.simonyan wrote:
hmscott, yes you are right, I have 8GB on 1, 3 slots and 4GB on 2, 4 slots and CPU-Z shows Dual Channel.

>If you can replace all 4 slots with the CMSA16GX3M2A1600C11 that would be best performance.

Agreed, but it's a little complicated. To swap slots 2 and 4 I need to take out front panel also, because they are under keyboard. Also it will void the warranty as I know.


dav.simonyan, hey that's great, Dual Channel mode!

Unless you do lots of VM work, or have another heavy memory need, 24GB should be enough.

Glad to hear it all worked out 🙂

dav_simonyan
Level 7
hmscott, yes, that's great, currently I usually use only 13-14GB and only once or two times there was about 18GB memory usage, so 24GB is more than enough 🙂
And thank you a lot for your continuous help and support!