cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the RTX 3070 with the G20CB (180 W + 230 W Power adapter)

coldsilver_2020
Level 7
Hey everyone! Thinking of upgrading from my GTX 1080 to the RTX 3070 after almost 4 years. I've read so far that the 3070's TDP is 220W, and I was wondering if you guys also think it's possible with the 230W power adapter of the G20CB.

I've been reading this helpful thread for months now, and I've been heavily inspired to follow in their G20 upgrade footsteps with the CPU and GPU.

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

Jesseinsf
Level 10
If you want the power supply to last then the quick answer is no. If the power supply had 70 more watts then there would be no issue.

Drizztorbber
Level 7
coldsilver_2020 wrote:
Hey everyone! Thinking of upgrading from my GTX 1080 to the RTX 3070 after almost 4 years. I've read so far that the 3070's TDP is 220W, and I was wondering if you guys also think it's possible with the 230W power adapter of the G20CB.

I've been reading this helpful thread for months now, and I've been heavily inspired to follow in their G20 upgrade footsteps with the CPU and GPU.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm in the same situation but with a GTX980.
The RTX 3070 seems very attractive but I'm afraid this will not compatible on a G20CB (180 W + 230 W Power adapter).
I hope someone will confirm that is possible.

In parallel, I'm studying to move my config in an ATX box.
I realized the Mobo has a very "special" format then cannot be fixed on it. Also, it is not compatible with an ordinary PSU..
The "less cost" solution is to buy a new mobo, new DDR (yes, the G20 are using sodimm...), new ATX box, new PSU and just keep the cpu and ssd/hdd...
In fact, I just have to buy a new complet PC if I want to play with this RTX 3070.

Drizztorbber wrote:
Hi, I'm in the same situation but with a GTX980.
The RTX 3070 seems very attractive but I'm afraid this will not compatible on a G20CB (180 W + 230 W Power adapter).
I hope someone will confirm that is possible.

In parallel, I'm studying to move my config in an ATX box.
I realized the Mobo has a very "special" format then cannot be fixed on it. Also, it is not compatible with an ordinary PSU..
The "less cost" solution is to buy a new mobo, new DDR (yes, the G20 are using sodimm...), new ATX box, new PSU and just keep the cpu and ssd/hdd...
In fact, I just have to buy a new complet PC if I want to play with this RTX 3070.

hi, not necesairly. You just need to get better osu for example 330w dell one and make sure you will choose card which will fit into case, by far i found 2 of them 3070fe and gigabyte 3070 eagle/3070 eagle oc. Those 2 with better supply will work no problem.Â*

Just throwing this out there but the G20 can run the GTX1080 and some of the power consumption comparisons I've been looking at put the RTX cards as being more efficient with power consumption.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13762/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-founders-edition-6gb-review/14

The article above shows the RTX 2060 and 2070 using a lower power consumption than the GTX1060.

XeonInside
Level 7
It's possible! I managed to get my hands on a 3070 turbo and with a extionsion 8pin cable it works! However with the stock 230w birck it's only like 95% stable under full load and I swaped it for a 280w brick it now runs very stable.

Yeah the 280w power brick is definitely a must and also download throttlestop and msi afterburner to regulate your TDP to make sure it doesnt have any random shutdowns under full load. It takes a bit of trial and error but you can even OC with it. I have a 2080TI and a 9900k in a G21 with two 280w power bricks and it just requires some tinkering to get both OC and TDP to make the system stable at full load.

Where do you get a 280W power brick? Is this from Asus and do you guys have a link and/or part number? Thanks.