cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade G20AJ (i5-4460 model with 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and GTX-745)

JAV81
Level 7
Hi, I am new in the forum. I just bought a used G20AJ with an i5-4460 processor, 8GB of RAM, and 1TB hard drive.

I have just installed a Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB plus a clean Windows 10 Pro install and gives the computer a massive increase in boot times and responsiveness.

I have purchased a second SO-DIMM DDR 8GB (Samsung M471B1G73DB0-YK0 1x8GB) to double the RAM; should arrive next week.

I would like to upgrade the HDD, CPU and GPU.

Questions:

1) Does the motherboard support the i7-4790K? and, is this the best CPU you can put on this motherboard, or would you recommend something better?

2) I would like to replace the 1TB HDD with a 12TB HDD, has anyone experienced any power/compatibility issues doing so?

3) GPU - has anyone tested the RTX 2080 Ti on a similar G20AJ model? does it work properly with the original G20AJ power bricks?

4) My computer came with only one power brick, how do I know which one I have so I can buy the other one? a link would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
15 REPLIES 15

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
do you have any pci-e power cables now?

if not then the card takes 1 x 6pin and 1 x 8pin, which is the same on the motherboard

8pin - https://www.ebay.com/itm/8pin-pcie-GPU-Video-Card-Cable-for-Asus-G20-ROG-Power-Supply-30cm-Shakmods-...

6pin - https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pin-to-6pin-pcie-GPU-Video-Card-Cable-Asus-G20-ROG-Power-Supply-30cm-Shakm...

both are 30cm in length, the links are for the ebay.com

Thanks, I've ordered both today.

Another question - the 230W charger has arrived. If I unplug the 180W and plug in the 230W the computer doesnt turn on - is this normal? I am just worried that the 230w might be faulty

Cheers

JAV81 wrote:
Ps: I got the i7-4790 CPU running, going well but didn't notice that much performance increase to be honest.

Any help with the PCIE connectors I need for the Asus RTX 2080 Turbo?

Cheers

Check in your G20 box packaging, last time my i5 gtx745 G20aj was included with 2 pci-e power cables
8pin and 6 pin inside the box. if not there, then you need to buy them.

JAV81 wrote:
Thanks, I've ordered both today.

Another question - the 230W charger has arrived. If I unplug the 180W and plug in the 230W the computer doesnt turn on - is this normal? I am just worried that the 230w might be faulty

Cheers

the 230w is only secondary power resource, it wont run solely if you set the jumper for 2 adapters.
Remember to run with 2 adapters you have to set the jumpers like this:

spartan_hoplite wrote:
Check in your G20 box packaging, last time my i5 gtx745 G20aj was included with 2 pci-e power cables
8pin and 6 pin inside the box. if not there, then you need to buy them.

the 230w is only secondary power resource, it wont run solely if you set the jumper for 2 adapters.
Remember to run with 2 adapters you have to set the jumpers like this:

Thanks, I bought a used g20aj and didn't come with the original packaging. I have purchased the power cables online.

What are the jumpers at the bottom for?

Ps: how is the RTX 2080 running on your system? does it ever get too hot?

Cheers,

JAV81 wrote:
Thanks, I bought a used g20aj and didn't come with the original packaging. I have purchased the power cables online.

What are the jumpers at the bottom for?

Ps: how is the RTX 2080 running on your system? does it ever get too hot?

Cheers,

Bottom jumpers are use to dividing the adapters power delivery, all goes up means all the 230watt power will be deliver to the GPU.
Top jumper is option for choose 1 or 2 adapter to use.

if you set the Top jumper(JDC11) to the LEFT and bottom jumpers(JDC01-05) all UP = 2 adapters will work together( 180w adapter for CPU and 230w adapter for GPU )
Top jumper to the RIGHT and bottom jumpers all UP = only the 180watt adapter will work for the whole system.
Top jumper to the RIGHT and bottom jumpers all DOWN = only the 230watt adapter will work for the whole system.

I got the GPU cables and ended up buying a used GTX 1080 Turbo for a third of the price of the 2080. It's all working great now and I am very happy with the results. Thanks again guys.

The Asus GTX 1080 Turbo GPU itself fits like a glove in the G20AJ, but the PCIE cable I got from eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8pin-pcie-GPU-Video-Card-Cable-for-Asus-G20-ROG-Power-Supply-30cm-Shakmo...) is a really tight fit. It was awfully difficult to connect the cable into the pin without removing the motherboard, I am lucky that the tight bend didn't damage the cable - the gpu is performing exceptionally well.

I am guessing the originals have an L-shaped connector? Can anyone post photos of the original PCIE 8 pin and 6 pin connectors that usually come with the case?

JAV81 wrote:
I got the GPU cables and ended up buying a used GTX 1080 Turbo for a third of the price of the 2080. It's all working great now and I am very happy with the results. Thanks again guys.

The Asus GTX 1080 Turbo GPU itself fits like a glove in the G20AJ, but the PCIE cable I got from eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8pin-pcie-GPU-Video-Card-Cable-for-Asus-G20-ROG-Power-Supply-30cm-Shakmo...) is a really tight fit. It was awfully difficult to connect the cable into the pin without removing the motherboard, I am lucky that the tight bend didn't damage the cable - the gpu is performing exceptionally well.

I am guessing the originals have an L-shaped connector? Can anyone post photos of the original PCIE 8 pin and 6 pin connectors that usually come with the case?

The original G20 PCIE male head plug was shorter than standard, yours was custom made with standard pcie male head.