cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG strix GL12cx OC and chassis fan management

eg4usdm
Level 7
Hello,

I'm new to the PC world but I've spent the last few weeks researching and I just cannot find any information on my issues.

I currently have a pre-build ROG strix GL12-cx with some additional components:
- 9th gen i7 9700k
- RTX 2080 8gb
- Vengeance rgb Pro running @ 2933MHz
- 2 Corsair LL120 fans (1 on cpu radiator and 1 on front of case)
- mobo is a custom one only available for this pre-build, I believe it uses a Z-390 chipset though

I have updated BIOS, software and firmware for the cpu, OS, and gpu.

I am trying to use the Armoury Crate setting "Turbo" but every time the system boots I get a notification " Armoury Crate You can't modify CPU's frequency because BIOS setting "Overclocking Lock" has been enabled. I have gone into BIOS > Advanced > and there's no information for this "Overclocking Lock" setting anywhere.

Additionally I have downloaded ASUS GPU TweakII hoping that would enable some tab in BIOS but I am only able to run the application and make any changes there. If I do select a pre-set profile in Tweak and run a stress test with MSI kombustor, it seems to work. I see a differentiation in a couple statistics like voltage, mem freq, and more.

I'm still learning about overclocking so I don't want to create a custom profile but rather utilize one of the pre-set in the Armoury Crate while I do more research. But, I am unable to enable those pre-sets within Armoury Crate.

I would also like to know if there is an application that I can manage the Chassis fan speed? I'd like to get more air flow and I found ASUS Xpert Fan 4 but the I'm not sure if it's compatible with my system.

Sorry for long winded post and thank you for any help. Please let me know if you need any further specs or information.
2 REPLIES 2

ROGStrixGL12CX
Level 8
i have a same system as yours. did the asus fan expert work? armoury crate is buggy.

Ninja-Jo
Level 7
eg4usdm wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to the PC world but I've spent the last few weeks researching and I just cannot find any information on my issues.

I currently have a pre-build ROG strix GL12-cx with some additional components:
- 9th gen i7 9700k
- RTX 2080 8gb
- Vengeance rgb Pro running @ 2933MHz
- 2 Corsair LL120 fans (1 on cpu radiator and 1 on front of case)
- mobo is a custom one only available for this pre-build, I believe it uses a Z-390 chipset though

I have updated BIOS, software and firmware for the cpu, OS, and gpu.

I am trying to use the Armoury Crate setting "Turbo" but every time the system boots I get a notification " Armoury Crate You can't modify CPU's frequency because BIOS setting "Overclocking Lock" has been enabled. I have gone into BIOS > Advanced > and there's no information for this "Overclocking Lock" setting anywhere.

Additionally I have downloaded ASUS GPU TweakII hoping that would enable some tab in BIOS but I am only able to run the application and make any changes there. If I do select a pre-set profile in Tweak and run a stress test with MSI kombustor, it seems to work. I see a differentiation in a couple statistics like voltage, mem freq, and more.

I'm still learning about overclocking so I don't want to create a custom profile but rather utilize one of the pre-set in the Armoury Crate while I do more research. But, I am unable to enable those pre-sets within Armoury Crate.

I would also like to know if there is an application that I can manage the Chassis fan speed? I'd like to get more air flow and I found ASUS Xpert Fan 4 but the I'm not sure if it's compatible with my system.

Sorry for long winded post and thank you for any help. Please let me know if you need any further specs or information.

Hi buddy! I have the same system rog strix gl12cx with i7 9700k and rtx 2070. I don't have any awnsers to your questions but I would BEG you to tell me how did you manage to switch memory sticks and make them work at 2933mhz? When I go to bios I can't even see XMP profiles anywhere. This bios is so incomplete. There are barely any changes I can make beside changing the time on clock and few little things like that. I would like to talk to you so I can show you what I see on my bios and you tell me what to do to boost my memory. Thank you for your help 🙂