cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20 Overhaul

Urzu_7
Level 7
So I just got a G20 and I decided to replace the stock 760 with a 980, add an SSD and upgrade the HDD. The GPU was tricky but I managed however, 43904it looks like adding the SSD and replacing the HDD is near impossible. And tips?
325 Views
260 REPLIES 260

markboston wrote:
if my g20 came with the big power brick that has two plugs one for system and other for card am i set? or do i need to get the second supply talked about in this thread?


Hey Mark, whats your PSU's power rating?

markboston
Level 7
no idea theres not one sticker or label on this thing. i finally had to contact asus and was told it was the higher rating. not the 180w but whatever the second power supply does. so theoretically i should be set?

markboston
Level 7
230w. couldn't remember.

Felcat
Level 7
Anyone have avg. temps for their GTX 980 running under full load? It usually sits idle at 43C for me and then stays steady at 80C while playing Wow, watching a strream and browsing. I do recall reading that the card has a 98 deg threshold but would rather play it safe. An I at decent temps?

Nadles
Level 7
For the 980 TI, which fits in the ROG G20AJ? I'm assuming only the reference design. I'll probably pick up the ASUS Reference design, but I figured I'd ask. Also, the model I have had the GTX 760, which the specs say it uses 2 X 6 connectors. But, I doubt that is what is in the case when I had a 6 Pin connector in the box.
If anyone can let me know which card I should order, and if it's really a 8/6 pin connectors inside, that would be great.

Thanks.

SynonymousYT
Level 7
Urzu_7 wrote:
So I just got a G20 and I decided to replace the stock 760 with a 980, add an SSD and upgrade the HDD. The GPU was tricky but I managed however, 43904it looks like adding the SSD and replacing the HDD is near impossible. And tips?


Can you link me the gtx 980 you got, im new to pc and not sure if i need a certain one, i have the exact same pc as you

xXxLoliHunterxX
Level 9
I just wanted to clarify something about the ssd upgrade.

Does the g20 already have the power and sata cables for installing an SSD inside? Or would I need to find/purchase those separately when doing an SSD install? Looking to put in a 240 kingston ssd this afternoon.

xXxLoliHunterxXx wrote:
I just wanted to clarify something about the ssd upgrade.

Does the g20 already have the power and sata cables for installing an SSD inside? Or would I need to find/purchase those separately when doing an SSD install? Looking to put in a 240 kingston ssd this afternoon.
The power line is already in the case, you'll need to add your own SATA data cable, but there's plenty of space for it if it's a bit long, just make sure one end has a 90 degree end to it.

dianebrat wrote:
The power line is already in the case, you'll need to add your own SATA data cable, but there's plenty of space for it if it's a bit long, just make sure one end has a 90 degree end to it.


Thanks for clarifying! I will give this a shot tonight.

Ravenholme
Level 7
I don't think the system can use a 90W AC Adapter because it wasn't tuned to the system, besides if it didn't come with it, and you didn't adjust the jumpers it's not going to work. you need a 180W and a 230W (or the Dell 330W) my set up works but mine was the G20AJ with the GTX760 at the time, now it runs with a GTX 980ti.