cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20 Overhaul

Urzu_7
Level 7
So I just got a G20 and I decided to replace the stock 760 with a 980, add an SSD and upgrade the HDD. The GPU was tricky but I managed however, 43904it looks like adding the SSD and replacing the HDD is near impossible. And tips?
260 REPLIES 260

Jerbs
Level 7
Hey all, toronto699 was gracious enough to provide a link to this thread (thank you, sir!).

Turns out my unit doesn't come with an SSD (it has a 2TB HDD, instead of the 1TB + 8GB SSD combo). So, I guess I should add my own SSD! The unit came with an SSD cable, so the option to add one must be there, right? 🙂 I've built numerous PCs in the past, but this is the first time 'tinkering' with a pre-built PC.

So, I was thinking to add a 256GB SSD as my primary drive (OS and main programs/games I use) and then have the HDD as a storage drive for archiving and programs I don't run all that often.

I'm still relatively new to the SSD scene and this would be my 2nd machine to use SSD (my old rig had 2x 60GB SSD drives in a RAID setup). So focusing on the G20; incoming "newb" questions:
- what is a suggested brand/model (I'll most likely be going to www.frys.com )?
- any brands/models I should absolutely stay away from?
- any tips/suggestions for a first timer like myself? (e.g. I believe I need to create an image of the OS, as there is no disc supplied)

Many thanks in advance!

Urzu_7
Level 7
Attention to all who follow this thread, I'll be taking a two week vacation starting today. Although the amount of time I spend on this thread to help others with their G 20s will be limited, please feel free to send me a private message. I want to try and check on this thread from time to time as well to assist those who have problems.
My ultimate goal of this thread is to make it the go to place for any type of G20 moding, problems, upgrades, and general support. I believe the G 20 is a great machine and to those owners that are out there that are looking into pushing it past its stock form and do not yet have someone who has done what they are looking to do...

Good Hunting!
Happy Holidays!
Urzu-7

chrimen
Level 7
An update on the "Breath" lights issue. I spoke to support and they asked me to download the chipset drivers below is the link.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G20AJ&p=14&s=11

I've done that and it works only when I use the sleep button on my wireless keyboard.

Is the breathing effect supposed to happen only while it goes into sleep mode? or is it supposed to be flashing throughout sleep mode?

Mine only does it a couple of times while going into sleep mode then I hear the fans come on and then lights go out.

X-ROG
Level 15
Moved thread to G20 forum to keep everything in one place 🙂

yamark
Level 7
Hello folks. I just bought a G20 and successfully installed a 256GB SSD. It took me forever as it was very difficult to squeeze the SSD in and even harder to connect the cable with my big hands. This machine screams now. My main purpose for buying the G20 is for video editing with Adobe Premiere. I am now debating on upgrading to 16GB RAM. Has anyone successfully upgraded their memory? Did it make much of a difference? What memory is recommended? Will it be as difficult to squeeze in as the SSD was?

yamark wrote:
Hello folks. I just bought a G20 and successfully installed a 256GB SSD. It took me forever as it was very difficult to squeeze the SSD in and even harder to connect the cable with my big hands. This machine screams now. My main purpose for buying the G20 is for video editing with Adobe Premiere. I am now debating on upgrading to 16GB RAM. Has anyone successfully upgraded their memory? Did it make much of a difference? What memory is recommended? Will it be as difficult to squeeze in as the SSD was?

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner this will tell u your memory and what u need to upgrade

toronto699 wrote:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner this will tell u your memory and what u need to upgrade

Thanks. The scanner did not detect by SSD. I wonder why.

yamark wrote:
Thanks. The scanner did not detect by SSD. I wonder why.

SSD may be too new , list detection maybe out dated a little any thing else it did not detect ? I find the scanner pretty useful , what SSD model and brand u installed?

Bodycount69
Level 9
Urzu_7 wrote:
So I just got a G20 and I decided to replace the stock 760 with a 980, add an SSD and upgrade the HDD. The GPU was tricky but I managed however, 43904it looks like adding the SSD and replacing the HDD is near impossible. And tips?

What video card did you use got a link for it ?
Was it hard to replace?
Asus ROG PG348Q Black 34" 3440 x 1440, 100Hz Curved IPS G-Sync 21:9 WQHD Gaming Monitor
2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition in SLI