cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20 Overhaul

Urzu_7
Level 7
So I just got a G20 and I decided to replace the stock 760 with a 980, add an SSD and upgrade the HDD. The GPU was tricky but I managed however, 43904it looks like adding the SSD and replacing the HDD is near impossible. And tips?
260 REPLIES 260

stevox85 wrote:
Ok update on my story, I found that the 8 pin PCI cable was able to turn into a 6 pin cable 😄
Unfortunately when I turned on the pc the card is not recognized...
I have definately plugged everything in correctly, is there a way to force recognize the card?

Sorry brother I didn't realize you already figured it out when I sent you a private message but yes the eight pin can be broken down to a six pin

Also can you post some pictures or a video of the issues you're having with your graphics card? I might be able to help you out

chrimen
Level 7
I just recently got the G20 and love it so far, but I noticed I have 2 extra cables (total noob to discrete GPU cards on desktops), one seems to be the 6 pin adapter and the other not sure what it is. Are these supposed to be plugged anywhere or are they extra cables in case I decide to upgrade the GPU later on?

chrimen wrote:
I just recently got the G20 and love it so far, but I noticed I have 2 extra cables (total noob to discrete GPU cards on desktops), one seems to be the 6 pin adapter and the other not sure what it is. Are these supposed to be plugged anywhere or are they extra cables in case I decide to upgrade the GPU later on?

One cable is your extra six pin adapter for when you upgrade your GPU and the other cable is a short SATA cable for if you decide to install an SSD.

toronto699
Level 13

toronto699 wrote:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53539-G20aj-Breath-Light-not-working
lighting problems

The breath lighting only works if you set the G 20 to go to sleep when you press the power button. when the G 20 is asleep you'll see the LEDs dim and then brighten back up.

Urzu_7 wrote:
The breath lighting only works if you set the G 20 to go to sleep when you press the power button. when the G 20 is asleep you'll see the LEDs dim and then brighten back up.

Thanks for your response! I'm having this problem. So the Breath lightning effect only works, if the computer is put to sleep mode? And does it matter how you put the computer to sleep mode, in other words, do you have to put it to sleep mode via pressing the power button or does the "regular" way work aswell. In regular way I mean by selecting sleep mode from "Shut Down, Log off, Hibernate" when you right-click the Windows Icon in bottom left screen (Windows 8.1).

However, I tried both ways, but my G20 went to sleep mode without ANY lights glowing, except the white light of the power button. So my LEDs are completely shut down, while you say they should be "breathing".
Also does it matter, if hybrid-sleep mode is enabled? (It's enabled by default)

The effect im talking about is working in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjMuyiMWaI

Any ideas?

Tsigi wrote:
Thanks for your response! I'm having this problem. So the Breath lightning effect only works, if the computer is put to sleep mode? And does it matter how you put the computer to sleep mode, in other words, do you have to put it to sleep mode via pressing the power button or does the "regular" way work aswell. In regular way I mean by selecting sleep mode from "Shut Down, Log off, Hibernate" when you right-click the Windows Icon in bottom left screen (Windows 8.1).

However, I tried both ways, but my G20 went to sleep mode without ANY lights glowing, except the white light of the power button. So my LEDs are completely shut down, while you say they should be "breathing".
Also does it matter, if hybrid-sleep mode is enabled? (It's enabled by default)

The effect im talking about is working in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjMuyiMWaI

Any ideas?

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to upgrade the lighting software that you can find on the Asus website, once you update the lighting control software the breath lights will work.

Also the only method to put the computer to sleep that will activate the breath lights is to configure the power button to put the G 20 to sleep, if you select sleep via the start menu it will not work yet. Now about the hybrid sleep mode I don't know if turning it off will disable the breath lights but I have mine enabled and my breath lights work fine.

This is a direct link for the lighting control software update I pulled it from the support page for the G 20 found on the Asus website
Let me know if it works

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/ASUS_Lighting_V20106_A2.zip

Note you can also use the ROG command center that should have been preinstalled on your G 20 to look for updates for your bios, applications and I believe drivers though I'm not too sure on the third one. If you use the command center it'll handle the updates for your lighting software and anything else so it's actually pretty convenient.

Urzu_7 wrote:
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to upgrade the lighting software that you can find on the Asus website, once you update the lighting control software the breath lights will work.

Also the only method to put the computer to sleep that will activate the breath lights is to configure the power button to put the G 20 to sleep, if you select sleep via the start menu it will not work yet. Now about the hybrid sleep mode I don't know if turning it off will disable the breath lights but I have mine enabled and my breath lights work fine.

This is a direct link for the lighting control software update I pulled it from the support page for the G 20 found on the Asus website
Let me know if it works

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/ASUS_Lighting_V20106_A2.zip

Note you can also use the ROG command center that should have been preinstalled on your G 20 to look for updates for your bios, applications and I believe drivers though I'm not too sure on the third one. If you use the command center it'll handle the updates for your lighting software and anything else so it's actually pretty convenient.

I've updated the software and have and tried the link you provided as well (just in case my download was bad somehow). I put the computer to sleep and the the "breathing worked " once. Now when I put the computer to sleep via the power button or otherwise it just shuts off the light immediately. Still not working for me.

chrimen wrote:
I've updated the software and have and tried the link you provided as well (just in case my download was bad somehow). I put the computer to sleep and the the "breathing worked " once. Now when I put the computer to sleep via the power button or otherwise it just shuts off the light immediately. Still not working for me.

Try reinstalling the The lighting software, make sure breath lights are checked to be enabled within the software and reconfigure the power button to put the computer to sleep, see if that does anything. Also you can try enabling or disabling hybrid sleep mode and make sure that the power button is not set to hibernate.

Urzu_7 wrote:
Try reinstalling the The lighting software, make sure breath lights are checked to be enabled within the software and reconfigure the power button to put the computer to sleep, see if that does anything. Also you can try enabling or disabling hybrid sleep mode and make sure that the power button is not set to hibernate.

I did all of the above various times but still, when the PC goes to sleep it just shuts down the lights. I'll try to talk to customer support over the weekend.