cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new GPU for ASUS ROG G20AJ

soldatino
Level 7
Hi all,

I have ASUS ROG G20AJ and I want to upgrade.
i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
GTX 770

180W+230W adapters are included for units with GTX760/GTX770/GTX780/GTX970/GTX980 video cards, see https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1010575/

Which GPU can be installed without converting the PSU?
And which GPU (RTX?) can be installed if the PSU is also replaced? And with which PSU?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best,
Marco
1 REPLY 1

cityhunter62
Level 8
Hi there. I can happily report that I successfully upgraded my ROG G20aj with a RTX 3060 Ti founders edition.
I guess it’s the maximum you can upgrade in the G20aj in terms of power consumption for your PSU.
It works like a charm, very silent (fans turn off when idle), very reasonable in terms of power consumption (200w), fits like a glove in the case (though cable management is a pain)… So far, I’m very happy with it. As it is not a blower style card, I made some holes in the side of the case, for extra caution. Doesn’t seem to be a problem so far. I also changed the thermal paste during the operation.
I didn’t change the original PSU (apparently it’s useless with the G20aj which cannot handle more power anyway), just using the regular 180 + 230 power bricks.
No troubles with mouse or keyboard not recognised at startup (I made some changes in the bios thanks to spartan_hoplite advices), and no trouble with the drivers either… Card was recognised almost immediately.
I can now run RDR2 at high/ultra-settings in full HD with DLSS on with solid 60 fps (far enough for me and my video projector). Not too bad for a 2015 rig (7 years old !). I have yet to try Elden Ring… I’m probably bottlenecked by the CPU but I don’t really care to be honest.
If you need more info, don’t hesitate.