cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help 🙏 GA35DX Strix Case ... Sequence to remove GPU so as to install m.2 SSD?

mark_piatowski
Level 7
Hi there ..
*I bought my GA35DX about 3 months ago and got to the point where I need more space, so bought a 2TB WD *M.2. Has anybody done this upgrade and might be able give me an idea what to dismantle to get to the m.2 slot. Definitely looks like the GPU has to come out, but unsure which screws to undo and whether the case fan above gpu needs removing. I have a 3080RTX that came with it, installed 90 degrees to the slots it looks. Not sure if it eventually gets pulled out or rotated (looks like a black hinge close to it, but unsure) *If anyone can help ... that would be awesome. If you can add photos even better, but you may be able to describe it from my photos here.
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
I believe the card is connected by a flexible ribbon cable. So as long as you don't stress it you should be able to maneuver the card around and then disconnect the ribbon from the motherboard. Cards are anchored by two screws at the top of the metal bracket at the rear panel of the case. Yours might have a cover that needs to be removed to get to those two screws.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I believe the card is connected by a flexible ribbon cable. So as long as you don't stress it you should be able to maneuver the card around and then disconnect the ribbon from the motherboard. Cards are anchored by two screws at the top of the metal bracket at the rear panel of the case. Yours might have a cover that needs to be removed to get to those two screws.

Aha ... thanks for replying to my post. So the card is essentially loose when the 2 screws are undone. In the second photo, there is a small black plate just above the screws, held in by a tiny screw. I was thinking to undo that screw, but then wasn’t sure if the case fan to the left of that image would need to be removed too, in order to undo the two screws you mentioned ?

Does that make sense ? Just want to make sure I’m not undoing something unnecessarily. Won’t be doing look8ng at it for at least a week due to back injury, so feel free to add more information if anyone has done the upgrade themselves

* *Once again, thanks for your assistance*

xeromist
Typically you do not need to remove case fans to work on a GPU. Start with the gpu/cover plate and only start removing other stuff if you need to.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Typically you do not need to remove case fans to work on a GPU. Start with the gpu/cover plate and only start removing other stuff if you need to.

Okeedoakes ... will give it a go ... thanks for that ... will see what happens once I get that small plate off. Probably be kicking myself If it turns out ridiculously simply. ðŸ‘�Â*

There is a small support plate on the back of the card, with 2 small screws; remove that also before removing the card from the case. Also, the ribbon is long enough so you dont have to remove it while installing the m.2

Is there a place for second M.2 SSD on GA35 motherboard ? Hard too see behind GPU...

Ishtor wrote:
Is there a place for second M.2 SSD on GA35 motherboard ? Hard too see behind GPU...

Yes, both are blocked by the GPU due to it's veritcal install.

Would need to install the new RTX 4080 16GB that takes more space than the RTX 3080 TUF 10GB (assuming the same GPU as in the pictures above).

This post has been helpful on how to disconnect the GPU, now just need to make some more space and adjust the fan a setting higher as it is now.

How did you remove the front glass panel. Are there specific screws that can be accessed for this?