cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got confused

0xRohit
Level 7

I recently bought ROG Strix GA35 RTX 3080 pre-built desktop, now I want know I should buy a separate PSU or not ?? I'm confused because some of colleagues told me that this desktop should already has pre-built PSU? NOW WHAT I DO ?😐

I also want to know, can I connect my desktop 16A Plug with ROG Thor PSU ?? 

2 REPLIES 2

ChrisL1971
Level 10

No need to buy/upgrade the PSU . Just use the new system for a few weeks to get to know all the settings. 

Murph_9000
Level 14

@0xRohit wrote:

I recently bought ROG Strix GA35 RTX 3080 pre-built desktop, now I want know I should buy a separate PSU or not ?? I'm confused because some of colleagues told me that this desktop should already has pre-built PSU? NOW WHAT I DO ?😐

I also want to know, can I connect my desktop 16A Plug with ROG Thor PSU ?? 

As above, an ASUS pre-built tower should have a suitably rated power supply built into it, just requiring normal mains voltage into the back of it (follow the user guide that came with it).

As far as a 16A plug and the Thor series go, that's not enough information to give good advice.

First, to be clear, you absolutely should not need a Thor for a pre-built that is in its original factory configuration, only if you were doing something like swapping out the GPU for a much more power hungry GPU.  The Thor series would probably be higher spec, higher efficiency, etc, but the practical benefits would be near zero unless you are doing something quite unusual.

Second, only the Thor 1600W has a special power inlet.  The 1200W and lower use the standard IEC 320 C14 inlet for a C13 power cord (rated for 10A, which does put it over the limit for 110V mains, so should really be limited to around 1000W or less average sustained power usage on 110V).  The 1600W has an IEC 320 C20 inlet for a C19 power cord (rated for 16A); but the tech specs say it is only rated to 1300W for supplies below 115V.  The 1600W model is really only for truly exceptional cases, there's no normal desktop build with a single GPU which should need more than 1200W at present (and 1000W is sufficient for a 9-series CPU and a RTX4090 / RX7900 in normal usage).

You don't need a 16A supply, even with 100V mains, for a standard unmodified GA35.  You don't even really need it for a normal DIY desktop build with a Thor.  You might need it to supply a large UPS, or a high end power strip / power distribution unit.  On 200V+ mains, you probably don't need anything special on the supply end, even for the 1600W (e.g. standard British BS1363 wall outlets can supply up to 3000W / 13A @ 230V).

See also: RECOMMENDED_PSU_TABLE.pdf