cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20CB Water cooling project

six4bravo
Level 10
Hi guys,

I've been bored lately and was throwing around the idea of water cooling in a custom loop on my G20CB,
or using an AIO type and modifying the case, or even making a base station for the custom loop to house everything in matching the design of the G20 with a PSU, fan
controller, radiators, reservoir, etc. I will be adding a GTX 1070 soon as I game in 1080P at 144Hz and find the 970 only slighlty lacking sometimes.
I was thinking of maybe waiting for a water cooled version of the 1070 or adding a water block from EK and into a custom loop with the CPU.

My CPU idles around 45C which is great actually, peaks at 65C gaming, the 970 peaks at 75C max with a custom fan curve. The cpu really doesn't even
need water cooling IMO, but like i said I'm bored lol. The graphics card I'd like to atleast do this to, my 970 sounds like a PS4 fan full boar, but it stays
decently cool, never seen it above 75C.

Has anyone attempted this yet on a G20?

I poked around in the BIOS, noticed that under the monitor section, it seems really really neutered for options. The fan control is just enable or disable q-fan control,
which if disabled just spins the fans up to max. The options listed shows in the info section PWM mode, DC mode, and a few more options,
yet you can only choose to enable/disable q-fan control. I wonder if this will cause issues with the AIO systems that have a 3 pin connector for the
pump and a 4 pin PWM for the fan on the radiator if I'm going that route plugging into the MB for the power. The MB has a cpu fan header, chassis 1 and chassis 2 which is
down by the gfx card, all 4 pins looks like and I know you can plug in a 3 pin onto a 4 pin.
65 REPLIES 65

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
It's a shame we didn't see the final product. Perhaps one day we will see the project continue in the shape of an HTPC or compact scratch mod?

Who knows, I have a ton a spare water cooling parts, maybe it will continue someday, but I need to get a good workstation pc going for content creation. I do plan on making a YouTube series about the g20 and the mods that were performed.

xeromist
Looking good. A bit different from the crowded G20, eh?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Not sure if you'll get much content creation done on it. Too tempting to tweak and play games on it 😉

It’s definitely different and beautiful. I went with a Z370 gigabyte Aorus motherboard this time and it’s my first time venturing away from ASUS. Hopefully it works nicely.

Still waiting if fittings so I can finish the loop and fill it up with mayhem’s pastel white coolant.*

The ekwb waterblocks and x-res are top notch too.*

All done with the new build in the enthoo evolv case. Very happy with it.

Hi I came across your liquid cooling project for the rog g20 and I admit I would like to have as much detail as possible on the welds to be made on the pump and fan level on the asus origin sheets for example... could you please share all these details because I plan to run an i7 4790k on my rog g20 and would very much like to associate a corsair h60 to cool everything down...thanks in advance ^^