cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20CB another M.2 Slot Not Recognising 960 Evo in BIOS or Windows

Rachid_A
Level 7
Hi All

I've Tried just about everything to try get my 960 Evo NVME 250GB SSD working on my G20CB M.2 slot but so far no luck, It works perfect on a PCIE adapter card in the PCIEx16 slot and has Windows 10 installed with Samsung NVME drivers and Firmware updated. BIOS is 2101 and while the drive is installed in the M.2 slot it gets warm but is not seen in the BIOS, Windows install or when I use a separate SATA SSD to run Windows 10 on. The Drive works and I know its getting power as it gets warm so hopefully someone here may know a trick to help and it is something silly I have been doing.
So far I have changed just about every BIOS setting based on other posts and all the YouTube videos I could find,
In boot I have tried the CSM Enabled, Disabled, Auto, Secure Boot on and off, Windows and Other OS.
In Advanced I Have tried all Options in SATA Storage with SATA in Raid or ACHI, Sata Enabled and disabled,
In Platform Misc Config tried enabling and disabling all options relating to PCI,
In Onboard Device Config I have tried with M.2 Device enabled and disabled (Only gives these options) and Intel Rom on and off
All of this I have tried with Graphics Card installed and Removed, with all other drives removed and with loaded Optimised Defaults, Also tried Clearing the CMOS and Removing the Battery but nothing seems to get the drive to show.

My only last thought is could be a problem with the Slot itself, but thought maybe someone else may know a solution to this as I have run out of Ideas to solve this

G20 CB
Mother Board - H170-P/G20CB/DP-MB
Intel I5-6400
8 GB Ram 2166
GTX 750ti

Thanks

Rachid
2 REPLIES 2

chilinmichael
Level 10
Compatibility isn't guaranteed, they list this as an option with the CB, but I've yet to see one pre-installed and results have been mediocre, at best. I believe I read some posts relating to the SSD/drive near it won't work if it's installed, I can't say I'm sure about any of this as I haven't had personal experience, but have you tried temporarily unplugging the pre-installed SSD that's tough to get to?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

MClumsy
Level 7
Rachid A wrote:
Hi All

I've Tried just about everything to try get my 960 Evo NVME 250GB SSD working on my G20CB M.2 slot but so far no luck, It works perfect on a PCIE adapter card in the PCIEx16 slot and has Windows 10 installed with Samsung NVME drivers and Firmware updated. BIOS is 2101 and while the drive is installed in the M.2 slot it gets warm but is not seen in the BIOS, Windows install or when I use a separate SATA SSD to run Windows 10 on. The Drive works and I know its getting power as it gets warm so hopefully someone here may know a trick to help and it is something silly I have been doing.
So far I have changed just about every BIOS setting based on other posts and all the YouTube videos I could find,
In boot I have tried the CSM Enabled, Disabled, Auto, Secure Boot on and off, Windows and Other OS.
In Advanced I Have tried all Options in SATA Storage with SATA in Raid or ACHI, Sata Enabled and disabled,
In Platform Misc Config tried enabling and disabling all options relating to PCI,
In Onboard Device Config I have tried with M.2 Device enabled and disabled (Only gives these options) and Intel Rom on and off
All of this I have tried with Graphics Card installed and Removed, with all other drives removed and with loaded Optimised Defaults, Also tried Clearing the CMOS and Removing the Battery but nothing seems to get the drive to show.

My only last thought is could be a problem with the Slot itself, but thought maybe someone else may know a solution to this as I have run out of Ideas to solve this

G20 CB
Mother Board - H170-P/G20CB/DP-MB
Intel I5-6400
8 GB Ram 2166
GTX 750ti

Thanks

Rachid

Actually i just literally found out how to solve your problem.
I realize it is because the SSD does not have the EFI and recovery partitions like HDD's.
So here is how i did it:
- Make sure that you already have an Windows 10 installing device.
- Enter BIOS --> Go go advanced and turn off sata of HDD
- Then boot into a win10 installing device.
- When you are in the window that tell you to choose where to install windows 10 (You should see only one disk number ). Just delete all partitions on the SSD and then format and install. (This helps to create exactly 3 addition partitions in SDD like in HDD's )
- After installing you can go back to advanced and turn on the SATA for HDD.