cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ Upgraded (RTX 2070 Super Evo)

mortenstj
Level 9
Hi

Just wanted to share with saying that it's still possible to update your G20AJ with newer graphics card, such as a RTX card.

Today i changed my GTX 1080 to RTX 2070 Super, with no problems and still running with default power supply. (230+180w)
Just remember this card needs 6 + 8 pins

Feel free to ask questions

More pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/JKZequh

20 REPLIES 20

cityhunter62
Level 8
Wow, looks like a real chore to upgrade the ROG G20 AJ with the latest GPUs. Seems like it was quite okay with the GTX 9xx, and to a certain extent the GTX 10xx, but reaaally complicated with the new RTX range. I wonder if I should try to upgrade, or just resell the computer for some bucks, and buy a whole new gaming rig, like the G21 Hurican, which seems more easily upgradable...

Really hard times for PC gamers... GPUs are totally out of price here in Europe, G21 is nowhere to be found, out of stock everywhere...

Any thoughts ?

jeezy9
Level 7
decided to upgrade my 1070 to the 2070 super, based on this post! wish me luck everyone; i bought it off of amazon, its aftermarket so hopefully it wasn't owned by a crypto miner 😧

jeezy9 wrote:
decided to upgrade my 1070 to the 2070 super, based on this post! wish me luck everyone; i bought it off of amazon, its aftermarket so hopefully it wasn't owned by a crypto miner 😧

Good luck, I'll follow you right after that, as soon as I find a decent price for a decent GPU.

Last week-end, I updated the 1TB HDD to a 2TB SSD, updated the 128gb SSD to a 1TB SSD, and replaced the CMOS battery.
Thanks to all the tutorials aroung here, it wasn't too complicated... Excepted for the rubbish Samsung data migration software that did a terrible job at cloning my system drive. Tips for those who want to upgrade their hdd/ssd : use Acronis for Crucial software instead, whichever your ssd brand is !

Please keep us informed of your results Jeezy !

cityhunter62 wrote:
I updated the 1TB HDD to a 2TB SSD, updated the 128gb SSD to a 1TB SSD, and replaced the CMOS battery.
!

Noice! yeah its working fine at the moment, ran FurMark for 30min; no issues in that area so hopefully it remains that way. :cool:

jeezy9 wrote:
Noice! yeah its working fine at the moment, ran FurMark for 30min; no issues in that area so hopefully it remains that way. :cool:

GG ! So no GPU power consumption trouble, that's good to know. Thanks for the reassuring feedback !

jeezy9 wrote:

Hi Jeezy !
Finally found the GPU I was looking for ! About time... I have the choice between Asus 2070 turbo or 2070 super turbo.

Could you please precise :
- Did you upgrade from a Rog G20 AJ (not CB or CI) ?
- Did you upgrade with a 2070 super TURBO (the blower type) ?
- No power supply troubles so far (this requires 215w, a lot for the 220w power brick !) ?

Thanks a lot for your answer !

cityhunter62 wrote:
I updated the 1TB HDD to a 2TB SSD, updated the 128gb SSD to a 1TB SSD, and replaced the CMOS battery.

What battery have you used for the replacement? I need a new one for my system aswell.

Dung Hwangbo wrote:
What battery have you used for the replacement? I need a new one for my system aswell.

It's the flat one, really common, like CR2032 if I remember correctly. It's in the deepest part of the rig though, so you'll need to remove almost everything. But not that difficult really if you are patient and careful enough. As long as you are there, don't forget to change the thermal paste too.

cityhunter62 wrote:
It's the flat one, really common, like CR2032 if I remember correctly. It's in the deepest part of the rig though, so you'll need to remove almost everything. But not that difficult really if you are patient and careful enough. As long as you are there, don't forget to change the thermal paste too.

Thank you for answering! The problem tho is that the CB model unlike the AJ uses a battery with soldered wires for some reason, which are harder to find but eventually I found one! I also replaced the thermal paste two months ago when i upgraded the ram, so i think i'm good for now.

cityhunter62
Level 8
Hi there. I can happily report that I successfully upgraded my ROG G20aj with a RTX 3060 Ti founders edition.
I guess it’s the maximum you can upgrade in the G20aj in terms of power consumption for your PSU.
It works like a charm, very silent (fans turn off when idle), very reasonable in terms of power consumption (200w), fits like a glove in the case (though cable management is a pain)… So far, I’m very happy with it. As it is not a blower style card, I made some holes in the side of the case, for extra caution. Doesn’t seem to be a problem so far. I also changed the thermal paste during the operation.
I didn’t change the original PSU (apparently it’s useless with the G20aj which cannot handle more power anyway), just using the regular 180 + 230 power bricks.
No troubles with mouse or keyboard not recognised at startup (I made some changes in the bios thanks to spartan_hoplite advices), and no trouble with the drivers either… Card was recognised almost immediately.
I can now run RDR2 at high/ultra-settings in full HD with DLSS on with solid 60 fps (far enough for me and my video projector). Not too bad for a 2015 rig (7 years old !). I have yet to try Elden Ring… I’m probably bottlenecked by the CPU but I don’t really care to be honest.
If you need more info, don’t hesitate.