cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ Upgraded (RTX 2070 Super Evo)

mortenstj
Level 9
Hi

Just wanted to share with saying that it's still possible to update your G20AJ with newer graphics card, such as a RTX card.

Today i changed my GTX 1080 to RTX 2070 Super, with no problems and still running with default power supply. (230+180w)
Just remember this card needs 6 + 8 pins

Feel free to ask questions

More pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/JKZequh

20 REPLIES 20

Gengaku
Level 9
Hi thanks for sharing!
I would like to know if you encounter any problems at all since installing the rtx turbo.
What is your current max temps under load and on idle?
And whats the stock specs of your rog g20aj?

Sorry too many question but im planning on upgrading since my stock gpu( gtx 745 oem i know sad gpu ) just died.

Gengaku wrote:
Hi thanks for sharing!
I would like to know if you encounter any problems at all since installing the rtx turbo.
What is your current max temps under load and on idle?
And whats the stock specs of your rog g20aj?

Sorry too many question but im planning on upgrading since my stock gpu( gtx 745 oem i know sad gpu ) just died.

Hi

No problem at all.

The stock specs was i7-4790, 16gb ram, GTX 980, 2TB HDD.

Also used GTX 1080 on my system for over 1.5 years, no problem with that (230W stock)

Current upgrade:
2 x SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 512 + Kingston 256)
RTX 2070 Super (ASUS)
Dell 330W Power Supply (Works also fine with default 230W supply)

Gpu Idle: 34-38
Gpu Load: 80-85

I also installed this card and i am waiting for my + 180w pwr supply. its rediculous how hard it is to get oem aasus parts for these laptop /desktop hybrids but man they are beast for their size and i just love the design of the chassis. what processor are you useing i installed an I7 4790k and can not wait to try it out. but I have not seen anyone mention how much of an amd can be used with these systems. Does anyone know WHat AMD processors are compatible with this sytem that would go well with this video card?

@Mortenstj - thank you so much for posting this including the pictures.

Actually, I was in the process of building a new gaming system before I stumbeled over your post. I figured there was nothing to loose, since I could also keep using that ASUS RTX 2070 super card, even if this would fail and i had to go for a new system. It works like a charm though, even with the stock external power supplies. I upgraded from a GTX 970 (from 2014?) and the fps increase in simracing is insane. It seems my i7 4790 CPU @3.6 GHz is still doing a decent job along this new GPU, though calculating things on some website resulted in a "loss" of around 30% of the RTX 2070 super capabilities. In other words i am CPU capped now, but with a +50% fps increase from the old graphics card i dont really care. Drove a few practice laps in assetto corse competizione, ended with 57 degrees celsius GPU temp. Decent. Might even go for a wider monitor now, since it seems i have enough GPU power to haul around some more pixel millions.

However I had 3 issues doing this upgrade, which i want to share here, maybe its helpful for other G20AJ readers doing similar upgrades:

During card installation it didnt fit smoothly into the 2 slot frame provided by the G20AJ. I used some soft tape / felt pad here and there and an old plastic motherboard post for a solid fit into that tin frame. Not a big issue, but some tinkering is required here.

After installing the GPU, my G20AJ would not boot any more, but return me to the bios screen without detecting a keyboard or mouse, asking me to press F1 to access the bios... Yeah dude, but how? In the end my solution was to loose the lower power cable and connect to the internal graphics, because i was too lazy to disassemble the system for a 2nd time. Now my keyboard was detected and I changed "fast boot" in the bios to "off". I booted into win10, deleted the NVidia drivers and installed new ones from scratch (select "new installation"). Seriously, if you upgrade your GPU, do this before you take out the old card, not after installing the new GPU, and it will save you some stress and time... On reboot, it still gives me the error message that a keyboard cant be found, but then it decides to boot anyway and also loads the USB stuff and everything works as expected.

My 2nd issue remains unsolved, this Asus card is a tad louder when it idles about during E-mails or surfing the web, than my old GTX 970 which turned completely silent when it did not render any games. It might be that the fan of the RTX 2070 super has an acoustic frequency disturbing my ears a little bit more and maybe that is all. Fan is running @22% speed when win10 is idling, and i still can hear it humming, not much, not loud, but it is clearly there. The GTX 970 didnt humm at all, it was just completely silent in desktop mode. Well lets give it a few days and see how this develops.

VerKer wrote:
@Mortenstj - thank you so much for posting this including the pictures.

Actually, I was in the process of building a new gaming system before I stumbeled over your post. I figured there was nothing to loose, since I could also keep using that ASUS RTX 2070 super card, even if this would fail and i had to go for a new system. It works like a charm though, even with the stock external power supplies. I upgraded from a GTX 970 (from 2014?) and the fps increase in simracing is insane. It seems my i7 4790 CPU @3.6 GHz is still doing a decent job along this new GPU, though calculating things on some website resulted in a "loss" of around 30% of the RTX 2070 super capabilities. In other words i am CPU capped now, but with a +50% fps increase from the old graphics card i dont really care. Drove a few practice laps in assetto corse competizione, ended with 57 degrees celsius GPU temp. Decent. Might even go for a wider monitor now, since it seems i have enough GPU power to haul around some more pixel millions.

However I had 3 issues doing this upgrade, which i want to share here, maybe its helpful for other G20AJ readers doing similar upgrades:

During card installation it didnt fit smoothly into the 2 slot frame provided by the G20AJ. I used some soft tape / felt pad here and there and an old plastic motherboard post for a solid fit into that tin frame. Not a big issue, but some tinkering is required here.

After installing the GPU, my G20AJ would not boot any more, but return me to the bios screen without detecting a keyboard or mouse, asking me to press F1 to access the bios... Yeah dude, but how? In the end my solution was to loose the lower power cable and connect to the internal graphics, because i was too lazy to disassemble the system for a 2nd time. Now my keyboard was detected and I changed "fast boot" in the bios to "off". I booted into win10, deleted the NVidia drivers and installed new ones from scratch (select "new installation"). Seriously, if you upgrade your GPU, do this before you take out the old card, not after installing the new GPU, and it will save you some stress and time... On reboot, it still gives me the error message that a keyboard cant be found, but then it decides to boot anyway and also loads the USB stuff and everything works as expected.

My 2nd issue remains unsolved, this Asus card is a tad louder when it idles about during E-mails or surfing the web, than my old GTX 970 which turned completely silent when it did not render any games. It might be that the fan of the RTX 2070 super has an acoustic frequency disturbing my ears a little bit more and maybe that is all. Fan is running @22% speed when win10 is idling, and i still can hear it humming, not much, not loud, but it is clearly there. The GTX 970 didnt humm at all, it was just completely silent in desktop mode. Well lets give it a few days and see how this develops.

Hi!

I never experienced that the G20AJ wouldn't boot after upgrade, but i think i removed all nvidia drivers before i did the upgrade.
But, i still have the same issue with mouse/keyboard can't be detected during startup, that means i can't access BIOS anymore. Have not find a solution yet 😞

For temps my system is on idle: CPU 45 GPU 55 (fan speed 25%)
For load during gaming: CPU 65/70 GPU 80 and GPU Fan speed 40%

VerKer
Level 7
Well, after 2 days with the update it turns out that the card is operating around 85°C under heavy load (simracing on 1440p widescreen). While this seems just ok according to Nvidia (maximum allowed 88°C) I am concerned what would happen during summer, when outside temperature is not 20°C like now, but 40°C. Thus, i am considering to cut a hole into the G20AJ case and cover it with some mesh material to allow for better airflow just where the fan sits, on the other hand this would make the PC significantly louder. Has anyone done something like that before and can give advice (pictures or noise data / impression)?

So, during webbrowsing under win10 the temperature drops -7°C when PC is running without the side panel. I figure this effect would be larger under GPU load, also. I will start to drill a few small holes into the case to learn if it is worth doing more, will report back here.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
when people can't access the bios is purely down to the system not be able to load the USB drivers up so you can gain access to your keyboard and mouse to enter bios. some desktop still have the old PS/2 ports and that allows you to gain access with a PS/2 to USB plug. the only thing I can advise is to take anything you have upgrade to out, use the onboard HDMI display port and see if the pc comes to life, if you get to windows and everything runs fine. then the install of the device wasn't install tidy and caused a issue. I have seen many people not install the graphics card tidy and have several issues with picture and not switching on etc....

sandeshanimax
Level 7
I have ASUS ROG AJ20 PC
i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHZ
Nvidia GTX745 Graphic

Is it possible to update with newer graphics card, such as a RTX card.
with default power supply. (230+180w)

Or Please suggest necessary parts to upgrade in full extent.

Thanks for sharing this!

I've read that you've used a Dell 330W Power Supply for your GPU upgrade (I only have the default 180W + 230W power bricks). Do you have a pic or link to the specific one you've used?