cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ questions for the PSU and i5-4660 upgrade

enyc3z
Level 7
Hi all, super excited to finally be able to post and hopefully get my questions answered as well as possibly helping anyone on here.

I currently have the 2014 Asus ROG G20AJ Model, the i5-4660 3.20ghz version which had the GTX 750 and 8GB.

So long story short I tried to play Modern Warefare last month and this PC failed miserably to support anything remotely close to being playable. 6 years now I have only been playing CS:GO with absolutely 0 problems in FPS and choke.

Now, I've spent most of July and now August doing endless research in upgrading my components. Thanks to the like of Welsh Whoopee on youtube whos also a member here and Drew on youtube as well as I was able to reclaim my muscle memory of building PCs and making sure everything works. Now the tirade of questions and possible misunderstanding......

Currently I have already purchased the 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3, works great (to my knowledge).
Then I went and purchased myself an EVGA RTX 2060 KO as was recommended in one of Welsh's GPU upgrade videos by a commentator (taken down now).
Followed by buying an Asus AC/DC Adapter Modell # ADP-180MB 100-240V 50-60Hz 2.34A 19.5V (which I'm not sure is providing extra power and have no way of telling).

Now that I have you guys caught up. Here comes the tirade, as mentioned above I have no way of telling if the PC/Mobo reads the full 410w of the PSU, I assume it is because everything is working. Secondly I am looking at upgrading my CPU, a friend suggested this i5 http://newegg.com/core-i5-9th-gen-intel-core-i5-9600k/p/N82E16819117959 over the i7 that came with the more expensive version at the time. I'm also terrified of installing the CPU because its been so long and I'm worried about the pins.

I'm having a hard time understanding this machine because I finally took it apart and was brought to the attention of it being a laptop/desktop hybrid, no biggie. I know this is a long rant, so sorry. I really need help with choosing the right CPU so I can upgrade it, and also understand why A) I'm not able to tell if the PSU is working as it should and B) why it seems to me that the upgrade in my GPU leads to a lot lower FPS and overall gameplay in CSGO over the GTX 750. In example, on the GTX 750 I would average about 110-160 fps while in gameplay with a full 10 v 10 server, at Idle in menus it would top 400-500fps. For the RTX 2060 KO I'm averaging around 70-110 fps in a full server but at idle I'm topping 800-900fps in menus.

Now I have been tinkering with settings and it has been a love hate relationship so far especially with how warm to hot this GPU runs. In CS gameplay the card is slightly, for Modern Warefare it runs pretty hot like a fresh grilled cheese in your hand, granted that MW is very GPU hungry.

Thank you all in advance for viewing this post and responding in advance.
1 REPLY 1

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
enyc3z wrote:

Now that I have you guys caught up. Here comes the tirade, as mentioned above I have no way of telling if the PC/Mobo reads the full 410w of the PSU, I assume it is because everything is working. Secondly I am looking at upgrading my CPU, a friend suggested this i5 http://newegg.com/core-i5-9th-gen-intel-core-i5-9600k/p/N82E16819117959 over the i7 that came with the more expensive version at the time. I'm also terrified of installing the CPU because its been so long and I'm worried about the pins.

Welcome to the forums!

As far as the cpu upgrades go, you may be able to find some posts about what others have tried if you trust their information, but if you check the third-party site below, it doesn't appear you can even physically plug in the i5-9600k cpu into your G20AJ cpu socket since the pins will be different as you may have been thinking.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_1151_H4_LGA1151.html#:~:text=The%20socket%20LGA1151%20has%20...

"As already been mentioned, the LGA1151 has 1151 land contacts. They are arranged as a grid 40 x 40, with a 24 x 16 section de-populated in the center of the grid. 65 contacts are also depopulated mostly from the socket corners and edges. The socket LGA1151 has the same width and height as socket 1150. However, the sockets are not interchangeable, and the socket 1150 (Haswell) processors will not physically fit into the socket 1151, and vice versa. Socket 1150/1155/1156 fan/heatsinks, however, can be with the socket 1151."