cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20 Upgraded with ASUS RTX 2080 Turbo

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
Might be helpful so I share it here. I replaced my GTX 1080ti FE 2-weeks ago with Asus RTX 2080 Turbo, it works perfectly with 180+230w bricks, no jumper switch needed.

In my country this Asus card is really overpriced, it`s around $1200 USD for ASUS RTX 2080 Turbo and $1700 USD for 2080 Ti Turbo, planned to buy the Ti before but I am not sure RTX 2080 Ti will be 100% stable in my G20ci, so I decided to get the non Ti .

Tear it Down to replace the thermal Paste

It`s Binned A chip inside, although this turbo is non OC version.

Fit perfectly

Manage to OCed this card manualy(not with oc scanner) +200mhz Core and +1000mhz Mem for benchmark test (but for daily used I only used +200mhz core and +500mhz Mem)
3Dmark Timespy Extreme Score: (10% higher score than Oced GTX 1080Ti)
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/30311798

The Conclusion is, the GPU of ASUS ROG G20(that comes with 2 bricks 180+230w) can be upgrade to RTX 2080, but You need to buy the Blower Cooling version like Asus RTX 2080 Turbo, non blower cooling won`t be able to run well with G20. How about Founder Edition RTX 2080? it won`t work, I mean it can run but your GPU and system surely overheated.
59 REPLIES 59

Cyb0rge wrote:
this is what I bought to be safe. Card hasn’t arrived yet but I’d imagine it’ll cover both.*PCIE 8 Pin male to Dual 8 Pin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0796NVNY7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Just found this video and he has 2 separate cables at 6:50*
*https://youtu.be/p122GI5A3pg

ogkle wrote:
Just found this video and he has 2 separate cables at 6:50*
*https://youtu.be/p122GI5A3pg

So the cord I bought should work for both inputs correct? And I’ll have a free 6pin slot on the motherboard?

Cyb0rge wrote:
this is what I bought to be safe. Card hasn’t arrived yet but I’d imagine it’ll cover both.*PCIE 8 Pin male to Dual 8 Pin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0796NVNY7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

you cant use that splitter cable(1x 8pin to 2x 8pin), it will be unstable, coz one 8pin only can deliver 150w power max. You have to use 2 seperate cable (1x 8pin and 1x 6pin), usually included from the G20AJ box package.

spartan_hoplite wrote:
you cant use that splitter cable(1x 8pin to 2x 8pin), it will be unstable, coz one 8pin only can deliver 150w power max. You have to use 2 seperate cable (1x 8pin and 1x 6pin), usually included from the G20AJ box package.

thank you my rtx 2080 arrived and was installed yesterday, I had a feeling that would be the case so I bought the right cables at frys Electronics last week I will be uploading specs and time spy score as soon as Im off work

ogkle wrote:
Sorry if this might be a stupid question, but would I have to get a male 6 pin to male 6 pin adapter for the 2080?

yes, mine used a 6 and a 8

I've got a ASUS G20CB and for some reason, the thing burnt out 3 2080s already, first one blackscreened, second is stuck at 300mhz, 3rd one won't boot at all. the first two cards showed very strange power usage in GPU-Z. I use the 2 power adapters, I've done everything correctly. I managed to game a little on the first two cards but within 24 hours they were fried.

I've tried all 3 cards in a seperate PC afterwards, they are showing the same issues. Something on the card went out, ASUS delcared all the cards defective under RMA, they didn't determine a cause.

Beeteez wrote:
I've got a ASUS G20CB and for some reason, the thing burnt out 3 2080s already, first one blackscreened, second is stuck at 300mhz, 3rd one won't boot at all. the first two cards showed very strange power usage in GPU-Z. I use the 2 power adapters, I've done everything correctly. I managed to game a little on the first two cards but within 24 hours they were fried.

I've tried all 3 cards in a seperate PC afterwards, they are showing the same issues. Something on the card went out, ASUS delcared all the cards defective under RMA, they didn't determine a cause.

damn that’s horrible to hear man. You did change the jumpers for the power supply right? I was really wary buying rtx after I heard about the few confirmed bad graphic cards due to the on board memory. Looking back on my posts you can clearly see I’m no expert but I’d try completely reinstalling from scratch refollowing guides. I’m having a few problems but nothing on that level. The few black screens I’ve had were from me trying too overclock the card then after I hard restarted it I couldn’t get the card to power back on. After a few minutes of frantically panicing I took a look at the actual psu and discovered the lil green light wasn’t glowing anymore. I unplugged the power cord from the power supply waited a few seconds and then boom power was back to the graphics card.*

Idk maybe try that and in the meantime also try contacting nividia and whatever brand you bought if not a FE

I’m still having my same keyboard issue but I’m going to try like I told you a full reinstall *

Cyb0rge wrote:
damn that’s horrible to hear man. You did change the jumpers for the power supply right? I was really wary buying rtx after I heard about the few confirmed bad graphic cards due to the on board memory. Looking back on my posts you can clearly see I’m no expert but I’d try completely reinstalling from scratch refollowing guides. I’m having a few problems but nothing on that level. The few black screens I’ve had were from me trying too overclock the card then after I hard restarted it I couldn’t get the card to power back on. After a few minutes of frantically panicing I took a look at the actual psu and discovered the lil green light wasn’t glowing anymore. I unplugged the power cord from the power supply waited a few seconds and then boom power was back to the graphics card.*

Idk maybe try that and in the meantime also try contacting nividia and whatever brand you bought if not a FE

I’m still having my same keyboard issue but I’m going to try like I told you a full reinstall *

I have the g20aj with a hp 2080, I’d be dumbfounded if it was a issue with your computer with yours being the newer model. I was even able to of the card at +124 to the core clock and +650 to the memory I just got it stable been running metro exodus all day today with rtx on now this is my first all day test but no issues with that part so far

Cyb0rge wrote:

Have you tried what i instruct you before?
"To fix that you need to go to bios setting with working keyboard, but you cant, coz your usb are not working when booting, so what you need to do now is take off your rtx 2080 first, and run your pc through intel integrated graphic(without the RTX gpu attached). Plug hdmi cable to the integrated port.
Now you can go to bios setting with working keyboard, and change some setting"

"Go to "advance", "pch storage configuration" then set "Enabled" on Pcie Nand configuration" to fix random blackscreen
(But in your case are different, you got a blackscreen becauce you Overclock your GPU too much, just do mild overclocking it will be fine and NOT to increasing the power limit, because the maximum power draw for the GPU is only 230 watt, overclocking can make the GPU pull more than 230watt of power, the power board cannot take it, if so your Adapter will shut off automatically. To fix that you just need to shut down, unplug and replug it make it work again)

"and then go to "USB Configuration", MAKE SURE Intel xHCI mode was NOT set to "smart auto" or "enabled", You MUST " DISABLED" it, then only your usb peripheral will works (keyboard & mouse) when using RTX card.

spartan_hoplite wrote:
Have you tried what i instruct you before?
"To fix that you need to go to bios setting with working keyboard, but you cant, coz your usb are not working when booting, so what you need to do now is take off your rtx 2080 first, and run your pc through intel integrated graphic(without the RTX gpu attached). Plug hdmi cable to the integrated port.
Now you can go to bios setting with working keyboard, and change some setting"

"Go to "advance", "pch storage configuration" then set "Enabled" on Pcie Nand configuration" to fix random blackscreen
(But in your case are different, you got a blackscreen becauce you Overclock your GPU too much, just do mild overclocking it will be fine and NOT to increasing the power limit, because the maximum power draw for the GPU is only 230 watt, overclocking can make the GPU pull more than 230watt of power, the power board cannot take it, if so your Adapter will shut off automatically. To fix that you just need to shut down, unplug and replug it make it work again)

"and then go to "USB Configuration", MAKE SURE Intel xHCI mode was NOT set to "smart auto" or "enabled", You MUST " DISABLED" it, then only your usb peripheral will works (keyboard & mouse) when using RTX card.

I’m doing that now I’ll update when completed*