cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair RAM speed issues on GL12CM

TheFifthPillarM
Level 7
Hi there,

I recently decided to upgrade a my ram with 16gb of corsair vengeance rgb pro clocked at 3000mhz but unfortunately the ram only clocks at 2133Mhz.

I've tried searching for an xmp profile in the bios but couldnt find one there so I tried updating the bios to see if it would appear then but still no such option has appeared.

My PC is an ROG Strix GL12CM with a motherboard with the same name.

Please ask me for any more details but would love some help on this as I'm still fairly new at stuff like this.
5 REPLIES 5

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the GL12CM supports XMP, so you might consider exchanging or getting a refund for your memory if necessary, but also sounds like it may not be compatible with your other memory or maybe the system.

If you remove the 16gb of Corsair Vengance RGB Pro memory, does the original memory show the correct speed at least and have you tried running the Corsair memory by itself to see if that makes any diference?

Unfortunately, we don't normally approve many upgrades for these systems sold complete, so hopefully other members can share their experiences to give us a better idea.

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

I did try what you said with running only the corsair ram but it still only clocks at 2133Mhz. Oddly enough the bios does show that the ram has xmp revision 2.0 but nowhere to enable it.The original ram also would clock at 2666Mhz when it was installed by itself too.

Im guessing the only solutiin would be to get a new motherboard that can use xmp profiles. Any suggestions?

Once again thanks

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
TheFifthPillarMan wrote:

I did try what you said with running only the corsair ram but it still only clocks at 2133Mhz. Oddly enough the bios does show that the ram has xmp revision 2.0 but nowhere to enable it.The original ram also would clock at 2666Mhz when it was installed by itself too.

Im guessing the only solutiin would be to get a new motherboard that can use xmp profiles. Any suggestions?

Once again thanks

Hi,

If your corsair ram only runs at 2133Mhz by itself, doesn't sound like it runs well with this system unfortunately, although if possible, you might try to make sure it runs faster on a different system to confirm the memory is ok.

Since the original memory is running at 2666Mhz by itself though, guessing it may work better if you can find the exact same kind of memory to add, or maybe similar/compatible memory if you want to just try more memory?

Unfortunately, don't deal as much with upgrades in these systems sold complete, so you may want to try to talk to more people about it (or hopefully get more feedback on the ROG forums), but if you have a store you trust, you may want to either check if they can sell you some memory that will work better, or maybe ask them to test and install it in your system for you if you would rather not replace the motherboard.

Alternatively, you can try to talk to some memory manufacturers for recommendations. There are probably others you can check with, but in the U.S. Crucial will list memory they have approved on their end for the GL12CM as below although it hasn't been checked or approved on the ASUS end, so you would need to deal with them if you run into any issues and don't know if it would work with your original memory, so you might need to replace it too.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-strix-gl12cm
Again, don't know a whole lot about it, but have seen someone suggest trying to match the same timings as your original memory if you want to look into that and wondering if it's a good idea to use memory that supports XMP or not on this kind of system, so something else to consider.

TheFifthPillarMan wrote:

Once again thanks

I found the same issue with some HyperX Fury 3200MHz ram. The mobo clocks it at 2133MHz. In my case I bought the GL12CM mobo with i5 8400 processor together very cheap used with no ram, so I can't really complain, I still got great value for money.

However if I had bought a Asus GL12CM new I would be really annoyed. Asus market the PC as upgradeable. Surely swapping ram is one of the most basic upgrades you can make? Asus should update the mobo bios to give their customers exactly what they paid for - an upgradeable gaming PC.

BigJohnny
Level 13
To my knowledge no ASUS laptop is capable of anything past 2400 so buying anything rated higher is a waste of money. Best laptop ram I’ve seen is Gskill ripjaws 2400 in the lowest cas you can find. Already been down that road with a G752VY and forced it with XTU.....HUGE mistake! Do you know where they put the CMOS battery in those? *Yep complete disassembly to recover.*