Hello everyone, I have been asking ROG and ASUS for a very long time now and I still don't have a direct answer about as to how do i upgrade the GPU for my (pre-built) G21 desktop, since they market this build as EASY to UPGRADE.
So my my questions are:
• I have the GTX 1080 Turbo on the device which is powered by 1 8-pin power connector, And based on the video tutorials ROG and Asus have about my device, they say that it can be upgraded to an RTX 2080.
- How would i be able to power the 2080 when the device only has 1 8-pin power connector and the 2080 requires 1 8-pin and 1 6-pin power connector.
- Assuming I do figure out a way to power the 2080, What type of RTX 2080 Card should I get? If you research the Asus ROG G21 Huracan and look for pictures, The device is so compact that the 1080 inside is jampacked and is on a tight fit, that explains why they needed the TURBO version of the 1080 since it's a BLOWER style that sucks the air through the FLAP that can be opened on the case. SHOULD I GO FOR the RTX 2080 TURBO edition? Or can i go with the ASUS ROG 2080 OC edition?
- The GPU on the device takes up 2 slots so Im assuming that I only have the option of getting those slimmer RTX cards thus the FOUNDERS edition or the TURBO edition.
- However, I don't want to randomly buy a card and find out that even though it says it takes up 2 slots just like my old 1080, it still wouldn't fit because the dimensions are slightly bigger, or longer.
I Have so many questions about this device, It's a $2000+ system and yet they have no support about this device nor the information that we needed. Many people have posted on forums asking about the same question i am asking right now, and still to this day no response is given.
Also if ever we do get the issue solved on how to power and what type of RTX would fit, I have another question about how to UPGRADE my CPU. or even just the CPU cooler since the device just gets so hot on full load.
The G21 has a Custom dual sided mother board that was made specifically for this case. So they have a CPU slot and a fan / cooler that is not your typical type of CPU fan / cooler. It almost looks like its a laptop blower or a cooler, it seems like there is no way for me to replace the stock cooler with a different one.
Please if you have any idea or if you know someone who can help, it would be very much appreciated.
I have emailed, called, chatted and even went to an ASUS service center just so I can get more details about this but they only tell me that it is possible to upgrade the system. Then after that, they have no clue as to how or what to do about it.
Also this I bought this device as soon as it came out, and after 4 months of it being on the market, I can't find anyone else selling this device.
It almost seems like this device is a limited edition. So limited even the employees have no clue as to what im talking about.
Im a big fan of ROG and ASUS, all of my peripherals are ROG and ASUS. My phones are asus, my portable monitor is ASUS, my laptop's ROG. So i don't want to just sell this system and go to another brand mainly because this system can't be upgraded and in the near future might be obsolete.
Here is a link to the device description on ASUS website:
here's a quickview of the specs of the device:
Please shoot me an email if you can at Jerichos911@gmail.com.
Have a great day!
To other future people who want to upgrade their Asus G21 I just want to say it can be done. I upgraded my graphics card from a Asus Nvidia 1070 to a Asus Nvidia 2070 super (turbo version). Just have to make sure you have the right two power bricks (Power supply adapters). As for the power connector to the graphics card just get an adapter (VGA PCIe 8-pin female to dual 8-pin <6+2pin> male)and you will be fine. Works great and I tested it in VR and very stable. 2070 Super does not use much power to begin with.