cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G20Ci Upgraded with GTX 1080ti, G20AJ Testing Results Included too

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
I just replaced the gtx 1080 in my G20ci with gtx 1080ti, it was unofficially supported but my curiousity really want to give it a try, and above my expectation, it works perfectly.
Tried many games and benchmark it was very stable. I even tried firestrike 3dmark loop for 6 hour with mild overclocking, +120mhz for the core and extra 500mhz for the mem and it works nicely with max temp 88 C degree.
Unlike my G20ci, putting gtx1080ti in G20Aj will only works nicely if I lower down the power target to 90%(with msi afterburner), and can`t overclock the GPU at all or else it will crash. G20AJ and G20ci have the same power brick 1x180w+1x230w, but somehow this 250w tdp gtx1080ti can works perfectly on G20ci but not in G20Aj, my guess that might be the G20ci board(H270) PCI-e 16x port that can deliver extra watt for the gpu.

Here is my firestrike 3dmark score link: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21152748

66156

66154
Gtx 1080Ti

66155
My G20Aj and G20Ci
10,813 Views
8 REPLIES 8

evantangcd
Level 7
I've tested 1080ti on my G20CB which has H170 (mother board). When I just unplug the 230w power supply, the gpu fan did span a little and then shutdown, seems it does not have enough power to boot up, that might be the fact to prove the mother board share some power with GPU. But also I used furmark and 3d mark to run my card with 100% power limit, nothing goes wrong, and GTV5 works without under power issue, but not with H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS. It suddenly shutdown when I start to go around to find things in h1z1. It will be fine if setting the power limit to 90%, cuz I added extra ssd which might require additional wattage, usually 90-92% is fine. It's just so strange that it passed the fire strike ultra in 100% power limit , and after testing, i checked the data, the GPU load is 99% most of the time, and 3 peaks at 100% load.

evantangcd wrote:
I've tested 1080ti on my G20CB which has H170 (mother board). When I just unplug the 230w power supply, the gpu fan did span a little and then shutdown, seems it does not have enough power to boot up, that might be the fact to prove the mother board share some power with GPU. But also I used furmark and 3d mark to run my card with 100% power limit, nothing goes wrong, and GTV5 works without under power issue, but not with H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS. It suddenly shutdown when I start to go around to find things in h1z1. It will be fine if setting the power limit to 90%, cuz I added extra ssd which might require additional wattage, usually 90-92% is fine. It's just so strange that it passed the fire strike ultra in 100% power limit , and after testing, i checked the data, the GPU load is 99% most of the time, and 3 peaks at 100% load.


Great! however you must have seen what I have done in the past; I used a gtx 1080ti when it came out with my g20aj and believe me or not but whatever the g20 you have, those power bricks are just not enough...even if you get the bigger dell power brick...nada.

I managed to get the gpu stable only by powering it with an external psu (i used a corsair rm650x) and eve then I did not like the very high temps...sure it was throttling away....good luck with yours mate.

litania72 wrote:
Great! however you must have seen what I have done in the past; I used a gtx 1080ti when it came out with my g20aj and believe me or not but whatever the g20 you have, those power bricks are just not enough...even if you get the bigger dell power brick...nada.
.


Not with G20Ci, I`v been using Overclocked GTX 1080ti inside my G20ci for more than 2 months and not a single crash ever happen.
Yes dell 330w power brick is useless for G20AJ, I`v tried before, because the powerboard of G20AJ is limited to 230w.
I also been using external power supply (seasonic X760G) long before this with my previous GTX 980ti inside G20AJ.

spartan_hoplite wrote:
Not with G20Ci, I`v been using Overclocked GTX 1080ti inside my G20ci for more than 2 months and not a single crash ever happen.
Yes dell 330w power brick is useless for G20AJ, I`v tried before, because the powerboard of G20AJ is limited to 230w.
I also been using external power supply (seasonic X760G) long before this with my previous GTX 980ti inside G20AJ.


I don't have and ci, if it works it fine, but for my cb, 1080p works fine for all game, but not under a 4k. it might because the graphic card Using more TDP under 4k. then the card lost power.

chilinmichael
Level 10
So can this be done with G20CB?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
So can this be done with G20CB?


Above, evantangcd tested with his G20cb and found it stable if only he set the TDP to 90%.
I don`t hav H1Z1, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUND games, so I can`t test it with my g20Ci.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Taking it a regular 1080 will work fine though and has less demand on power?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
Taking it a regular 1080 will work fine though and has less demand on power?


reg gtx 1080 will work perfectly.