cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG G20CB Where to find the Windows serial number??

AlexySK
Level 8
Does anyone know where to find the Windows Serial Number?
There is no sticker on the PC.
13 REPLIES 13

chilinmichael
Level 10
There isn't going to be. Windows 10 is hardware locked, meaning it uses your hardware ID and registers the purchased copy of Windows to it upon first startup (which is done by OEM).
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

What part of hardware???
that means that if I will change the motherboard or the graphic card will not work anzmore???

chilinmichael wrote:
There isn't going to be. Windows 10 is hardware locked, meaning it uses your hardware ID and registers the purchased copy of Windows to it upon first startup (which is done by OEM).

AlexySK wrote:
What part of hardware???
that means that if I will change the motherboard or the graphic card will not work anzmore???

usually, the motherboard.
windows won't whine if you swap out the cpu. (tried that with office pc, forgot the old processor, but swapped it out for an i5 LGA 1155)
changed GPU, no problems there.

old motherboard died, old license went along with it. had to buy a new license for the newmotherboard. as when i plugged in the old ssd which tied to old motherboard, the windows refused to behave normally (it's hard to explain, kind of like the entire taskbar went missing, keyboard keystrokes won't register. the only input device that worked was the mouse). and also: old sssd license was invalidated.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Menthol
Level 14
There are APP's that can show the actual product key, AIDA64 shows it, but the product is locked to your system unless you purchase a retail copy which can be moved to another system

What do you means per "system"?
What parts the Lincense consider to be "the machine" on which is installed Windows?
Menthol wrote:
There are APP's that can show the actual product key, AIDA64 shows it, but the product is locked to your system unless you purchase a retail copy which can be moved to another system

chilinmichael
Level 10
To be honest, even working in IT, I'm not entirely sure.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael
Level 10
I know what you are aiming for here, so I'll answer the question you aren't directly asking which is "can I moved the license on my G20CB to another PC", the answer is no.

I had a Windows 8 license that entitled me to 10 on my last PC, retail infact, but once that 10 license was installed even with the key there was no way to move it. Windows 10 licensing is literally fool-proof, infact, I've seen it go bad where it should not and you have to contact MIcrosoft. I set up, deploy, upgrade and reimage PCs on a daily basis. It's not happening. You are going to have to buy a new license, sorry to say.

haihane
Level 13
i forgot stuff again.

the windows that came with your G20CB is most likely Windows 10 OEM version.
OEM = it lives and dies with the unit (motherboard).

if memory serves me right, there's a Windows 10 Retail version. it's more expensive than OEM. you can only install it on one PC (still), but you can transfer that license to another pc provided that you deactivate it on your old pc (don't ask me how, because i don't know. never bought a windows retail version).

try contacting / phoning microsoft and ask 'em directly. half of what i know above was through chatting with microsoft rep (after paying much for their Office 2016 version. pfft).
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

chilinmichael
Level 10
I'm pretty sure it's like 7 where if you change too many other components, it'll deactivate itself. Don't get your hopes up, basically.