cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

【Fun Fact】Some settings that can help save data usage

BigBunny
Level 10

I'm someone who finds it hard to stay away from the internet all day.

The importance of the internet to me is probably second only to activities like eating and sleeping that are essential for survival.

My smartphone is on an unlimited data plan, so I usually don't pay much attention to how much data it's transmitting; there's no anxiety about running out of data.

Before achieving financial freedom, I've at least attained the freedom of internet data, which I consider a small source of happiness.

The only situation where I need to restrain my use of internet data is probably when traveling abroad and activating roaming mode.

If you planning to travel, I hope the following settings can help you save some data usage.

Enable "Data Saver Mode"

Android versions 8.0 and above come with a Data Saver Mode that can be activated as follows:

Open the "Settings" app on your phone.

Tap on "Network & internet" => "Data Saver," and choose whether to enable Data Saver Mode.

Once Data Saver Mode is enabled, you'll see a circle icon in the status bar at the top of your phone's home screen.

Disable Google Automatic Updates

If you have many installed applications and typically have automatic app updates enabled, it's strongly recommended to disable automatic updates for apps before traveling abroad.

You can follow these steps to modify the settings:

1.First, open the Google Play Store.

2.Tap on the circular profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.

3.Select "Settings."

4.Go to "Network Preferences."

Next, open the dropdown menu for network preferences and adjust the options to match the configuration shown in the image below.

Disable Automatic App Updates and Autoplay Videos

Screenshot_20240303-225511294.jpg

Setting YouTube Video Quality

To adjust the settings, follow these steps:

1.Click on the "gear" icon in the top right corner of the screen.

2.Select "Data Saver."

You can directly activate the top option, "Data Saver Mode," which will enable all options below.

Screenshot_20240303-225707150.jpg

Next, return to the previous settings menu and find "Video Quality Preferences." Adjust the options to match the image below.

Screenshot_20240303-225740521.jpg

The setting for "Background play and downloads" can be referenced in the image below.

Screenshot_20240303-230325516.jpg

Above are the settings I modify before takeoff to conserve data usage.

0 REPLIES 0