cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ROG Ally] Don’t update BIOS to 330 and 331. Issue - Sounds similar to electricity.

AlexHakeem
Level 8

After updating to BIOS 330, I began to hear sounds similar to electricity.

It looks like the sound source is somewhere near the fans.

https://youtube.com/shorts/jW42SJevQw0?si=XOC27zJcmWMdTO65

I’m not sure if this is exactly related to the BIOS update, perhaps it’s a technical defect.

Has anyone encountered such a problem? How to fix it?

50 REPLIES 50

AlexHakeem
Level 8

don't update to version 331, still the same problem

damianibwa
Level 7

This happened to me as well. I thought my charger was busted 

adyojon
Level 10

i went to bios 331 and coil whine is still there. 

MitsuhaKitsune
Level 9

Yep, updated to 331, the noise still here 😕

BriGamer73
Level 8

I've never heard any type of issue.  The video posted is for an older update from 4 months ago, how does that even apply to this?  I've had 3.30 for two weeks and no performance issues or fan noises of any kind.  

If you have that noise on fan it's probably more noticeable with the firmware update but it was probably there to begin with.  I'm not convinced the firmware update is causing the issue.  Maybe making it more noticeable.   But the issue could be a bad batch of game decks.    

I've tried to duplicate the issue on my deck by making my deck heat up and getting fan to work harder and still no whining noise.  

MitsuhaKitsune
Level 9

Power on the Ally, wait to Windows start and put your ear in air vents (the lines, not the ROG logo) you gona hear electric sounds inside, it's like constant chime and unregular electric shortcuts.

noobatp
Level 7

My Ally is working fine with the new 331 Update. On 330 i had the same sounds going on.

What i recognized - the fanspeed was lower than before. When the fan is driving faster there was no sounds. With 331 it's completly gone and the performance and temps are way better than before

adyojon
Level 10

the coil whine is still there from 330 and 331. 323 never had coil whine. now i am VERY observant on these things i was hoping 331 would fix thie coil whine but it didn't..