cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound from speakers and monitor speakers on my ROG Ally

nycoagung
Level 8

So I updated my ROG Ally to the latest firmware (RC71L.334), all went well, I still got sound etc from it and from my monitor (Samsung C34H89X, and connected to a logitech speaker through audio jack)

Then for whatever reason Armoury Crate SE did not want to update to the latest, so I uninstalled and tried to reinstalled, but couldn't (same problem specified here Armoury Crate SE not installing ON rog ally; stuck... - Republic of Gamers Forum - 976668 (asus.com)

So I did a cloud recovery, all went well, updated everything again and I got everything back again and even sound from the Ally speakers.

But the moment I connect it to my monitor through its USB C, I lost sound from the speakers and from the monitor.

Whatever I do (removing/updating/reinstalling drivers etc) will not restore the sound.

The only way to get the sound back is to do cloud recovery again (and not connecting it to the monitor).

I know it's not the monitor, cause I can get sound from my Dell XPS 15, and I know it's not the Ally, because I get sound until I connect it to the monitor USB C.

Any idea? Please help? I used to be able to connect my ally to my monitor and get sound with no problem.

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

nycoagung
Level 8

Help anyone?

dopeyish
Level 8

Have you checked to make sure the correct output device is selected in Windows? On your Ally, you should see the sound icon in your tray, click it and set the sound output to the correct output device. For the Ally, they're called RealTek Audio speakers. I'm unfamiliar with what Windows would call your monitor. I hope this helps.

Hi,

For whatever reason, there's no audio device found, and I found out that Windows Audio Service kept crashing (windows audio service unable to start)

Any clue? I'm pretty sure it's a software issue as I can hear something from the speaker when the Ally boots up.

Right click on your Windows start button and open Device Manager. Under Sound, video and game controllers, it should list the audio devices Windows has detected on your system. The most recent RealTek audio driver version I installed through MyAsus on November 28 was version 6.0.9556.1. You can attempt to scan for hardware change in the Device Manager app and see if it locates and updates the missing hardware. All the latest supported drivers for the ROG Ally can be found in the MyAsus app, under Customer Support, then LiveUpdate, then Latest, untick the box and you can see all the drivers available. Update only to the latest driver version.

You might also post to the reddit page. There are far more tech savvy people than me there that are very helpful. https://www.reddit.com/r/ROGAlly/

riipah
Level 7

I'm having the same issue. Sound disappears when I connect to external monitor using USB-C. If I disconnect USB-C and run Windows audio troubleshooting, the sound starts working again, but no audio when connected to USB-C. It used to work before. Realtek audio version 6.0.9556.1.

riipah
Level 7

Okay, I got it working just now at least temporarily. I went to Device Manager, disabled "AMD High Definition Audio Device", which I assume is the USB-C audio. Then I ran Windows audio troubleshooter again, and now I'm getting audio again. When AMD High Definition Audio Device was enabled, there was no option to select audio output, Windows said "no audio outputs detected", so I don't see way to switch to Realtek when the USB-C audio is enabled. Also note that it used to work before, so something happened with a recent update.

nycoagung
Level 8

I just updated the latest bios 335 (before plugging it back to my usb c monitor), and I get sound back now.

I don't know what's changed in the bios, but seems like it fixed itself.

riipah
Level 7

I was already using BIOS 335 actually. Too afraid to re-enable the USB-C audio while it's working now.

dopeyish
Level 8

It seems they fixed an incompatibility with your cable. Hopefully your cable allows you to go into full turbo power mode as well when docked.