cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G733PY Flickering screen, sent in for repair

Kimber1911
Level 7

So, I am having the famous Asus screen flickering and I'm in need of help just like the rest. I have been reading all the posts I can get my hands on and trying to follow/understand all of the advice given, but I’m at a loss now.  I have the Asus Rog Strix 17 G733PY-XS98 I purchased this in July of 2023

Steps I have tried:

updating drivers/ graphics cards/ Bios

setting my display to 60hz instead of the 240hz

Followed the live chat advice: power off holding power button for 30 seconds and then powering back on. Resetting the computer back to the day before the problem started, then lastly a factory reset. Each time the problem would resolve for about 4 hours but would start to slowly flicker at times and eventually flicker during all my online activity. I'm not the savviest computer person so when this problem was not resolved & ASUS refused to extend my warranty an extra 3 years I wanted to purchase because I missed the window by 7 days, I felt it would be best if ppl who know what they are doing fix this problem since I am now on a time crunch and don’t have the warranty time to sit and try their endless, useless advice.

I sent my laptop in for repair, I filled out the form & stated the following problems:

Flickering screen 

Blue screen 3 times

Armory crate keyboard lighting randomly shutting off.

I now have my laptop back and I will skip all the BS I went through, but I will share what they stated in their fix/action/replacement parts.

They listed problems and complaints as:

1. Blue screen error (BSOD) "yes, I did list this as a problem."
  2. Brightness can't adjust " I never mention this problem, it worked just fine."

This is all they listed as the problems I was reporting and failed to mention the flickering screen and the armory crate keyboard lights shutting off randomly. 

Actions taken by Asus:

Reinstall HDI image (PC) FOTA(phone/pad) to resolve problem (x2) and exchanged parts (x2)

Replacement parts:

Gasket

Absorber.

As soon as I received the laptop after so call repairs, I of course had to set up the whole computer again (no problem) I refused to install any apps I use, nor did I do any downloads other than the updates that were required. I surfed the internet for about 4 hours and again I noticed a flicker here and there when changing pages and even when writing in word, currently the flickers are increasing over time no matter what I am doing.

All the posts I have been reading, it sounds more like this is a software issue with Amda Ryzen, is this correct? If so, do I have any kind of hope this problem will be resolved on an update or did I just invest in the most expensive paper weight ever? Should I send my laptop back in after my strongly worded letter to the CEO or should I find another computer repair shop and hope for the best?

I purchased this laptop not for gaming (Don’t get me wrong I love games) but I purchased this laptop for my photograph and video editing since most gaming computers have the best results for the type of things I do, but trying to edit and fix photos is beyond difficult with a flickering screen.

-Kimber

7 REPLIES 7

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Kimber1911 ,
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I noticed that even after the repair and without installing any software, you're still experiencing flickering issues while using Word. This could likely be an issue with the hardware accelerator. Please refer to this link for instructions on how to disable hardware graphics acceleration and see if the issue improves.

If the problem persists, could you please record a video and provide the following information through private message so that we can further investigate your issue? Thank you.

• Serial Number:
  • BIOS Version:
  • NVIDIA/AMD Display Driver Version:
  • Windows Build Version: (Settings -> System -> About)
  • Have you replaced or added any hardware (RAM/SSD)?

I've tried your advice and it has not resolved the issue. I've even noticed that now the keyboard light will also flicker sometimes when the screen flickers. I will try to take video of this on my day off and send it to you. 

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Kimber1911 ,

Please make sure that you have updated your BIOS to the latest version 327 and tested whether the issue improves with the ASUS-certified NVIDIA display driver version V31.0.15.3645 and AMD display driver version V31.0.14038.8002. Thank you.

Kimber1911
Level 7

Today I went through and updated BIOS to the latest version 327 and NVIDIA display driver version V31.0.15.3645 and AMD display driver version V31.0.14038.8002.  I will test this out for a few days and take videos if necessary. 

-Kimber

Kimber1911
Level 7

Ok, the test only took 4 hours and the screen is flickering again. I  have done the updates plus the Bios, I  have turn off my hardware acclerater, even though this should not be an issue with a 4000.00 laptop. I'll spend the rest of my time making videos and again contacting the repair service that did nothing to fix this issue. I have been more then willing to work with asus on fixing this problem and was even willing to buy the extended warranty just to make sure this problem could get resolved, but again was denied the warranty because I missed it by 7 days while working with asus to resolve this issue. So to say I regret my purchase is an understatement. I will fallow through with the videos and my letters to the CEO as stated on my repair report from the service center.

-Kimber

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Kimber1911 ,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to confirm if, apart from the Flickering screen, you have experienced any BSOD occurrences? 
Could you please provide me with the laptop serial number and information on whether you have used an external monitor via private message? This will help me and the local service team further investigate your case. Thank you.

Message sent. 

No external monitor nor hardware.

-Kimber