Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X299 VRM Disaster (overheat) ??

Beto556
Level 9
77 REPLIES 77

Raja@ASUS wrote:
You're always welcome to contact ek and tell them about your requirements. Don't know if their reps look at these threads.

As for whether a given chip should have a heatsink, it depends on numerous factors, including how much copper there is in the pcb and how much heat there is from surrounding components.

I'm actually surprised there isn't a little fan under the I/O cover like there is in other x299 motherboards. 🙂 Being that the chip is 'enclosed', and we don't want throttling/damage, as Raja would say it would be probably wise to consider cooling it in some manner. 🙂 I wrote on the APex thread if the Apex has the same situation with the VRM and the 10G chip as I'm still up in the air as to which i'm gettting.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Removing/replacing anything from/on the board has grounds to invalidate the warranty. That isn't going to change. FWIW the Aquantia throttles when temps breach max case temp, so it won't burn out - at least we couldnt make it do so in the lab.

While we're on the subject of overclocking, the type of stuff you'll be doing with your choice of CPU hardly requires a VRM water block. With some airflow over R6E heatsink, you can pull well over 400W through the VRM before temps hit throttling point.

To your point - with a 92mm fan placed as pictured - pushing ~400W through with totally reasonable VRM temps (though I plan to add an EK mono-block soon):

EDIT: seen as much as 456W with 430-440W sustained and still ~75C VRM temps with the setup in the picture

DragonPurr wrote:
There is still the question of how the final EK R6E monoblock installation will look like. Will EK's Installation Manual say? ...

1) Remove the VRM backplate and detach the VRM heatsink.
2) Remove the I/O cover and remove the I/O-heatsink/heatpipe/VRM-heatsink assembly.
3) Replace the I/O cover and leave the Aquantia AQC107 chip just exposed to the open air for cooling.
4) Install the monoblock.

The R6E I/O cover is far more enclosed than the Gigabyte X299 and MSI X299 XPower I/O covers, so passive air-cooling without a heatsink would not be ideal.

Ideally, I want to see EK include a replacement heatsink for the 10G chip. EK already includes 1mm thermal pads with their X299 monoblocks to cover the MOSFETs and inductors. Just add a replacement 10G-chip heatsink to their R6E monoblock kit, apply the thermal pad, mount the replacement heatsink, and I would very happily even pay an extra $20 for that (instead of looking for a heatsink myself), compared to the $136.99 price of their other X299 monoblocks.

If EK doesn't provide a workable solution or instruct on what to do, they won't be selling many blocks. And now that you're informed, you can decide what you want to do if it doesn't meet your requirements.

Korth
Level 14
If you remove the heatsink then you'll see exactly how big the chip is, lol. You'll probably also see part markings which can lead to datasheets specifying thermal output and cooling requirements (for each operating mode).

[Edit]

To give you a rough idea:
- Intel 82599 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller datasheet (sections 13.12.1 through 13.13.3 specify thermal interface management, thermal parameters, thermal measurement specifications, etc; section 13.14 specifies Cooler Master heatsink and Honeywell PCM45F bonding TIM)
- Sierra PM3393 S/UNI 1x10GE-XP is a "Low Power" Single Chip 10G Ethernet PHY, described as 27x27mm 672-pin FCBGA with -40C to +85C Industrial operating range
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
If you remove the heatsink then you'll see exactly how big the chip is, lol. You'll probably also see part markings which can lead to datasheets specifying thermal output and cooling requirements (for each operating mode).

[Edit]

To give you a rough idea:
- Intel 82599 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller datasheet (sections 13.12.1 through 13.13.3 specify thermal interface management, thermal parameters, thermal measurement specifications, etc; section 13.14 specifies Cooler Master heatsink and Honeywell PCM45F bonding TIM)
- Sierra PM3393 S/UNI 1x10GE-XP is a "Low Power" Single Chip 10G Ethernet PHY, described as 27x27mm 672-pin FCBGA with -40C to +85C Industrial operating range

The R6E uses the Aquantia AQC107 10G controller:

http://www.aquantia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Aquantia_AQtion.pdf
http://www.aquantia.com/products/client-connectivity/aqtion-aqc107/

This same 10G controller is used in the $390 ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9, and it is an economical aggressively-priced 10G controller that does not add a big price increase to the mobo cost. Asus recently released a XG-C100C 10G PCIe x4 card that also uses this same AQC107:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/XG-C100C/

and all the AQC107 PCIe cards are priced in the $100 to $140 range. By comparison, if you want to use a 10G card that uses Intel's lower-end server-grade X540 and X550 10G adapters, they cost $300 to $500.

You can see the size of the AQC107 chip here:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/aquantia-launches-aqtion-5-gbe-and-10-gbe-ethernet-adapters.html

Raja
Level 13
The fan wasn't needed to meet tdp specs, so that's why there isn't one.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The fan wasn't needed to meet tdp specs, so that's why there isn't one.

Wow you learn something new. 🙂 🙂

I found a few little heatsinks that advertise being able to dissipate that much heat and since it will be right at the back of the case with a fan right there bringing air into the case, I think it will be good should I go that route. Still up in the air about the Apex vs the RE6. Pros/cons with both. 🙂
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

cekim
Level 11
As I mentioned, its mostly auto, so I'm not sure there is much to see here...
I set primary timings and 1.35v VDIMM and that's about it:
ImageImageImageImage