cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X299-E Random Lockups

skecus
Level 9
Hi Everyone,

I've been experiencing random lockups (with no BSOD) every few days since building my new machine a few weeks ago. When the system locks all the fans and lights remain active but the HD light is no longer blinking and the screen is frozen. This seems to happen during game play or when surfing the web. The only way to get the machine back is to do hard reset with the power button.

Some of the troubleshooting done so far:

-Update BIOS to the latest 0702 version
-Installed latest Chipset Drivers Version 10.1.1.44
-Updated Firmware on 960 EVO and installed the latest NVEe Driver
-Updated latest nVidia drivers
-Checked Windows logs and found no unusual behavior prior to lockups

Other Info - System is liquid cooled running 31c idle and 50-55c on load
I'm running the XPS profile to achieve 3200mhz on the memory, CPU is still stock.

I'm going to try swapping out another power supply, but do not have another board or CPU to test at the moment. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs
Mobo - Asus Rog Strix X299-E
CPU - Intel Core i7-7800X Processor (No OC)
Video - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 TI FTW3 iCX Hydro Copper GAMING, 11G-P4-6699-KR, 11GB
PS - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W
OS Drive - Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 (Windows 10x64)
Memory - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin 3600MHz (PC4 28800)
Cooling EK-Supremacy EVO / EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM pump with 2 240M Radiators
19 REPLIES 19

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
On installing, report back if experiencing instability. You will likely need to tune the system manually, moreover, there are no guarantees that 4Ghz is possible on all CPU.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

skecus
Level 9
Update - After replacing the Gskill memory with Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 4000 (PC4-32000) C19 for Intel 200 - PC memory CMK16GX4M2E4000C19R I've yet to experience a total lock up even after running Memtest overnight.

I did have an unusual error after installing the new faster memory and setting the XMP mode. I started getting the LED Q-Code "BD" which eventually forced me into safe mode upon booting. After the following advice in this older post - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51672-LED-Debug-Code-quot-BD-quot-No-restart I adjusted some of the voltage dropping the memory slightly below 4000 mhz which allowed me to boot with out any QCodes. I wonder if the original issue could have been resolved with some tuning, although without the Q code I might not have figured it out.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
I know this is a old thread but, after removing my OC due to my monoblock not being able to cool my CPU enough, I've been getting lockups to making me think my system was more stable overclocked lol.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Cooling has a big impact on this platform. You might want to try more VCCIN, as too little can cause these types of system hangs.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Cooling has a big impact on this platform. You might want to try more VCCIN, as too little can cause these types of system hangs.

Thanks for the reply, does LLC effect the VCCIN because I've never needed to change it for my overclock before but I did have LLC on level 6.

LiveOrDie wrote:
Thanks for the reply, does LLC effect the VCCIN because I've never needed to change it for my overclock before but I did have LLC on level 6.

If you manually set the VCCIN to lets say 1.9 and you're not using LLC, that 1.9 could drop to 1.79 under load. A higher level of LLC (lets say)
5 or 6 may prevent that 1.9 to drop below 1.85 under load. Where a setting of 7 or higher might increase it.

these numbers are examples only, don't use them on your cpu

LiveOrDie wrote:

I have a 7940x with all cores at 4.3, I have my VCCIN at 1.95/ LLC 6 and under load it's ends up around around 1.87. If it drops
below 1.83, i'll get a blue screen while playing one of my games. My SA Voltage is around .910 as well. I wouldn't want to go over 2.0
with my VCCIN though.

Geekslayer wrote:
I have a 7940x with all cores at 4.3, I have my VCCIN at 1.95/ LLC 6 and under load it's ends up around around 1.87. If it drops
below 1.83, i'll get a blue screen while playing one of my games. My SA Voltage is around .910 as well. I wouldn't want to go over 2.0
with my VCCIN though.

My LLC is at 3 not 6, sorry.

Geekslayer wrote:
My LLC is at 3 not 6, sorry.

Yeah maybe I should just set LLC to 6 for stock and see how it goes, it's good to have some droop in case it spikes, I only seem to get lockups when cooking my projects in unreal engine and it's doesn't happen all the time ether.