cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X299-E Gaming: Is this how its deathbed looks like?

martine-dee
Level 12
Hi. I have a box with the Asus' ROG Strix X299-E Gaming, and there is a number of issues that piled up over the last few months:

- The box had its share of issues with the system getting stuck in the 00 state and restart loops; that started with an ill-plugged power cable, and was stopped by stopping any OC'ing.
- Then Wi-Fi/Bluetooth issues started; that could be purely Linux
- USB issues: flash drives can't be read or written to, both on Linux and Windows. When I plug them into the other box, the system either sees them just fine, or asks to repair them.
- USB issues: keyboard and mouse randomly die, and need replugging
- About latest: Speaker issues: When the box boots up, I've started hearing a strong bass wave as the sound powers up; that didn't happen once since I started using this mobo
- The latest: the H115i radiator fans keep spinning also when the box is powered down; I've tried refreshing the cooler's firmware and also mobo's BIOS; also keeping it unplugged from the power for a while (ofc, they stop spinning when everything is off power); they still keep spinning when the box is powered down

The Box
Case: be quiet! SILENT BASE 800
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11, 1000W
CPU: Intel Core i7-7820X
Water CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H115i RGB PLATINUM
RAM: CT4K16G4DFD8213 (Crucial 64 GB DDR4, 4x 16 GB, 2133 MHz CL15)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GT 710 (PCIEX16/X8_1)
SSD: WD Blue 1 TB (SATA_1)
M.2 SSD: WD Black 1 TB (M.2_1)
Monitors (2):
- VG248QE, 144Hz (HDMI out converted to DP)
- VG248QE, 144Hz (DVI)
Speakers: Creative Inspire P380 (the mobo audio)
Keyboard: Genesis RHOD 400 (Case USB 2.0 via USB910)
Mouse: Logitech B100 (Case USB 2.0 via USB910)

Warn: The H115i doesn't fit the Silent Base 800; I've taken off the case's rooftop to install the radiator.

Fan config:
- Front Chassis Lower (intake) - CHA_FAN2
- Front Chassis Upper (intake) - CPU_OPT
- Back Chassis (intake) - CHA_FAN1
- H115i (two exhaust fans on the top) - CPU_FAN + USB connection
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sounds like fans are maybe plugged into the wrong place...controller? that is not turning off because ERP is not on?

Or some other dodgy power problem...the fans and the soundwave...?

Maybe take it out the back of the barn...like Old Yeller

martine-dee
Level 12
Updated: added the full config in the OP, with exact connections to the Mobo.

Hmm, ErP. So, ErP's full-on calmed down the cooler radiator fans. It is strange, beacuse I never touched that option in the past. It is possible that they were on for a while.
These fans are controlled via the cooler, so there is only one place they could ever be connected.

> Maybe take it out the back of the barn...like Old Yeller
If I follow right... this x299 PC is my most used box right now. I only use the M12E build for gaming.
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating