cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 2004 Updater wants to install A-Volute

Super_Gnome
Level 11
What is A-Volute? The Windows updater of all things wants to install this. Will it mess up my R6 Omega based system? I've never seen or heard of this. Is it bloatware? There is a button on the updater you can hit to "Install Now."

After Googling this name, it appears as though at least some people's systems have been messed up after they installed this. Sigh. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any and all info and replies.
16 REPLIES 16

gorandroid
Level 7
i can't find "a-voluten" but i can find similar to them, what do i need to remove in the driver explorer ?

I recently purchased and brought up a new ROG Strix X570-E motherboard. After initial Windows installation I proceeded with board-specific drivers. Everything looked ok until I checked the Device Manager which indicated an error on Other Unknown Device. Here are the basic details reported in the Device Manager entry.

Device Manager:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There are no compatible drivers for this device.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Property Details:

Device Instance Path: SWD\DRIVERENUM\{1B98EF90-CA0E-11E7-8F1A-0800200C9A66}#AVOLUTESS3VAD&6&25AD6B79&2
Hardware Ids: ROOT\AVoluteSS3Vad
Parent: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1168&SUBSYS_104387C5&REV_1001\5&590aa42&0&0001

I believe the sequence of events were such that this error occurred after the Realtek driver install. It took me a bit to think to look at the Hardware Ids to confirm the "unknown" device was related to the Realtek driver package, and specifically the AVolute piece. Looking back at the driver install files I see AVolute elements but don't know exactly what made it in during the install. Today, while waiting for my forum registration to settle out, I got a Windows Update notice that an A-Volute update was pending. After researching the connection to the Realtek package I proceeded with the update. To my dismay this did not fix the Device Manager perceived error. Everything appears to function, including what I've tested so far about the audio subsystem.

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding if I'm on the right track, have the correct missing pieces, and how to resolve this error. I suppose I could let this dangling error persist, but I've had some weird things happen with Windows Update with similar seemingly benign errors. I would like to resolve this before going any further with my updates and software installs.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

gbabecki wrote:
I recently purchased and brought up a new ROG Strix X570-E motherboard. After initial Windows installation I proceeded with board-specific drivers. Everything looked ok until I checked the Device Manager which indicated an error on Other Unknown Device. Here are the basic details reported in the Device Manager entry.

Device Manager:

Property Details:

Device Instance Path: SWD\DRIVERENUM\{1B98EF90-CA0E-11E7-8F1A-0800200C9A66}#AVOLUTESS3VAD&6&25AD6B79&2
Parent: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1168&SUBSYS_104387C5&REV_1001\5&590aa42&0&0001

I believe the sequence of events were such that this error occurred after the Realtek driver install. It took me a bit to think to look at the Hardware Ids to confirm the "unknown" device was related to the Realtek driver package, and specifically the AVolute piece. Looking back at the driver install files I see AVolute elements but don't know exactly what made it in during the install. Today, while waiting for my forum registration to settle out, I got a Windows Update notice that an A-Volute update was pending. After researching the connection to the Realtek package I proceeded with the update. To my dismay this did not fix the Device Manager perceived error. Everything appears to function, including what I've tested so far about the audio subsystem.

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding if I'm on the right track, have the correct missing pieces, and how to resolve this error. I suppose I could let this dangling error persist, but I've had some weird things happen with Windows Update with similar seemingly benign errors. I would like to resolve this before going any further with my updates and software installs.

Hi,

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (MB | Intel 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx & AMD 3xx/4xx/5xx).

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

To perform a clean installation of the Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004), use these steps:

• Start your PC with the USB bootable media.
  • Press any key to begin.
  • Click the Next button.
  • Click the Install now button.
  • Click the Skip button if you’re reinstalling. (If Windows 10 was already activated, after the installation it’ll re-activate automatically.)
  • Check the I accept the license terms option.
  • Click the Next button.
  • Select the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) option.
  • Select each partition in the hard drive that you want to install Windows 10, and click the Delete button. (Usually, the “Drive 0â€ÂÂ� is the drive that contains all the installation files.)
  • Select the hard drive (Drive 0 Unallocated Space) to install Windows 10.
  • Click the Next button.
  • After the installation, select your region in the first page of the out-of-the-box experience (OOBE).
  • Click the Yes button.
  • Select your keyboard layout.
  • Click the Yes button.
  • If you’re not setting a second keyboard layout, click the Skip button.
  • If your device is using an Ethernet connection, your device will connect to the network automatically. If you’re using a wireless connection, you’ll need to set up the connection manually.
  • Select the Set up for personal use option.
  • Click the Next button.
  • Type your Microsoft account credential.
  • Click the Next button.
  • Type your Microsoft account password.
  • Click the Next button.
  • Click the Create a PIN button.
  • Create a new PIN password.
  • Click the OK button.
  • Select your privacy settings that best suits your needs.
  • Click the Accept button.
  • Click the Yes button if you want to use Timeline across devices.
  • Click the Do it later button to skip linking your phone to your PC. (You can always do this from the Settings app.)
  • Click the Next button to set up OneDrive automatically. (Alternatively, you can click the Only save file to this PC option to skip this step.)
  • Click the No button to skip the Office 365 setup.
  • Click the Accept button to enable Cortana on your device.

Greetings,
peter

MoKiChU
Level 40
gbabecki wrote:

Device Manager:

Property Details:

Hi,

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (MB | Intel 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx & AMD 3xx/4xx/5xx).

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (MB | Intel 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx & AMD 3xx/4xx/5xx).

Hi MoKiChU,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry.

As it turns out I used the latest audio driver package from the ASUS support download page.
V9088_V4_WHQL_210114_SS_III_3.16.14.0_VAC_DTS_S_VAD_0512.zip

I did see the link you referenced in my initial search but thought I was past that point. I'll follow the instructions laid out there and see what happens.

Thanks,
Glenn

MoKiChU,

Just wanted to close out my issue by reporting success with your instructions and links to the Realtek Audio software. The Driver Explorer you provided and the driver install package was very nice; just wondering where all that came from. I did have to manually install all the related audio apps after the automatic restart but that went smoothly as well.

Just curious, but wondering why it was so difficult to get the right package of software for this. The CD with the motherboard seemed incomplete (at least with instructions) by comparison, and trying to find "Realtek audio" materials on the internet was awful. The Realtek site only seemed to have E-net software and references on Sony's site (of all places) was incomplete or insufficient. It seems as if the Realtek "assets" have been scattered to the wind.

Anyway, thanks for your expertise and experience to help guide me through correcting my install problem. Now I can get on with my installs without worrying about having to restart from an OS reinstall.

Best Regards,
Glenn