cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Asus Thunderbolt 3 card work with Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore board?

jincuteguy
Level 7
Hi guys, I have an Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore board. My question is I need a Thunderbolt 3 connector so that I can use my Universal Audio Apollo Twin X audio interface which has a Thunderbolt 3 connector. I already bought a Thunderbolt 3 cable and everything.

Does this board have a Thunderbolt 3 connector? I checked the manual book and I didnt see any. So I'm wondering if I buy the Asus Thunderbolt 3 PCI-E card, will it work with this board? or the Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 pci-e card?
Any infos would be appreciated it.

Thank you
5 REPLIES 5

Nonny
Level 10
Hello,

I got the Thunderbolt extra cart for Asus Rampage V extreme i I could not make it work, i am asking myself is it working anyway after reading tons of forum pages i give up i have it in my shelf here and there was also a driver chaos i dont know is it better now but i dont want to try again ...

greetings

Nonny

Nonny wrote:
Hello,

I got the Thunderbolt extra cart for Asus Rampage V extreme i I could not make it work, i am asking myself is it working anyway after reading tons of forum pages i give up i have it in my shelf here and there was also a driver chaos i dont know is it better now but i dont want to try again ...

greetings

Nonny

Which exact board do you have? There is a difference between Asus Rampage VI Extreme and Rampage VI Extreme Encore.
The original Rampage VI extreme (without Encore) board has a Thunderbolt header, so the card should work.
But my board is a Extreme Encore board which does not have a Thunderbolt header at all.
It's kinda suck that being the best X299 board on the market, and does not have a Thunderbolt 3 connector support.

Nonny
Level 10
Hello again ,

I wrote Rampage V (5) , there i a difference to rampage VI (6) 😉 , i have now Rampage Vi extreme encore , but i remeber this card and it was shown in the Bios and there was some cofiguration but nothing helped i could not make it work , but there was also some people they sad that is the Card firmware and asus not publish a new one or it was well hidden, i dont remember i would not count on this that the card will work ...

Greetings

Nonny

xtremefunky
Level 8
Does anyone meanwhile know, if an extension card would work?

bsodmike
Level 7
Hi all,

What about this card,
ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 with Intel® Thunderbolt™ 4 JHL 8540 Controller, 2 USB Type-C Ports, up to 40Gb/s bi-Directional Bandwidth, DisplayPort 1.4 Support, up to 100W Quick Charge. (https://amzn.to/3LqZQgI)

I have a ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME LGA2066 X299 board. The Thunderbolt header is a 5-pin only, but the Asus Thunderbolt card (both the v3 or v4 card) both come with two connectors. One is a 13+1 connector, and the other looks like a 5-pin connector.

Is anyone aware if just the 5-pin will work in Windows 10? My use is to connect ASIO to a UAB Apollo x8 deck.

Thanks,
Mike.