cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiinders 10 1809 and VROC

JustinThyme
Level 13
So Im not really paying attention to the Version numbers. I just let her rip when new one comes out and if I dont like it I roll back. Here I am been running 1803.......well since it was released. Updated just fine. So i replace my GPU (have second on the way) with a strix 2080Ti O11G. I upgraded 3Dmarks to get the Port Royal and get an error that I have to be on 1809 to run it. Im up half the night, made M$ remote in and they ditched me! Like chat window closes then the link they sent me to reconnect doesnt work. This Idiot firstly was trying to do it off of an unmounted ISO to which it got an error very time, meanwhile Im just making a USB stick on another machine. So It just would not go, second reboot and 42% I get a sysprep error. All faqs said to remove unnecessary software and unplug hardware. So im bare bones with nothing plugged in except mouse, even unplugged keyboard and same story. I simpy would not update. Pull new GPU and put in spare 1080, NADA. Switched to alternate BIOS, NADA. Tried everything under the sun and in the end the update does not like VROC. Plugged in spare NVMe SSD in to DIMM.2_1 and cloned VROC array to spare SSD, pulled 900P drives, booted to spare SSD, did update without a hiccup, then cloned it back to 900P VROC array and working fine now. What a PITA!

So if you cant get the update to go ( still had to force it ) and you aare running VROC then clone to another drive, update, then clone back.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein
1 REPLY 1

Brighttail
Level 11
JustinThyme wrote:
So Im not really paying attention to the Version numbers. I just let her rip when new one comes out and if I dont like it I roll back. Here I am been running 1803.......well since it was released. Updated just fine. So i replace my GPU (have second on the way) with a strix 2080Ti O11G. I upgraded 3Dmarks to get the Port Royal and get an error that I have to be on 1809 to run it. Im up half the night, made M$ remote in and they ditched me! Like chat window closes then the link they sent me to reconnect doesnt work. This Idiot firstly was trying to do it off of an unmounted ISO to which it got an error very time, meanwhile Im just making a USB stick on another machine. So It just would not go, second reboot and 42% I get a sysprep error. All faqs said to remove unnecessary software and unplug hardware. So im bare bones with nothing plugged in except mouse, even unplugged keyboard and same story. I simpy would not update. Pull new GPU and put in spare 1080, NADA. Switched to alternate BIOS, NADA. Tried everything under the sun and in the end the update does not like VROC. Plugged in spare NVMe SSD in to DIMM.2_1 and cloned VROC array to spare SSD, pulled 900P drives, booted to spare SSD, did update without a hiccup, then cloned it back to 900P VROC array and working fine now. What a PITA!

So if you cant get the update to go ( still had to force it ) and you aare running VROC then clone to another drive, update, then clone back.

I applaud your tenacity. I stopped using VROC as it just doesn't seem worth the extra hassle for the limited performance you get. I must admit since the Spectre/Meltdown patch, I was considering going back to it as my 900Ps lost about 20% of their 4k random read/write speeds but even then...ugh. I couldn't get it to go with 1803 WITHOUT bumping my BIOS back to 803 and THEN i could install windows 1803... I'm assuming with 1809 and a clean install, I would still have to bump the BIOS back just to install windows and then bring the BIOS back.

Of course the new RSTe drivers may be better and it might work without having to change the BIOS but I wonder when was the last time you did a full, clean install, Justin?

What enterprise RAID drivers did you use? What are your speeds, better or worse than previous BIOS/WIndows? Did you have to use the VROC key you got or is it still passthough?
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop