cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange wet appearence next to connector from factory?

dandan112988
Level 7
Hello all, I was just looking around my motherboard and spotted a wet residue next to a connector. It looks wet, but it is not, and can not be cleaned off. It came out of the box like this because I took a picture of of it and noticed it in the picture as well, I just didn't spot it when installing. Is this defective? Anyone know was this residue is? It came with it from the factory.

Its to the left of the MEMOK button in the pictures below.
6 REPLIES 6

restsugavan
Level 13
RMA your board for long term use.
W11CANARY 26200.5001 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.22 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:

is it really worth it to do that though? its not actually wet, just appears wet. came from the factory. Anyone know what that is?

restsugavan wrote:

Or don't, and avoid wasting everyone's time.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
It's just solder flux...AFAIK it is harmless

oh ok, good to hear, i've never seen something like that before. So its relatively normal? Any way to clean it off that you know of?

Thank you for the reply!

Rob_W_
Level 12
You could rub it gently with isopropanol but be careful of surface mounted components, as Arne said its probably flux, afaik areas are coated with it during manufacture then cleaned up after.
I have a few areas similar on my board , never worried about it.*