cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Wifi adapter no longer reporting drivers?

wmarone
Level 7
See the attached image.

I'm seeing an unknown network controller in device manager, and Windows cannot identify any drivers for it. I cannot identify the proper driver on the ASUS website, so I'm here asking if anyone else knows.

The details on the unit are:

Vendor ID: 0x1AE9
Device ID: 0x0310

When I search those values, they appear to be a Wilocity Wil6200 chip? No details at all though, and this device appeared recently so I'm wondering if the firmware for the chip is flaked out? I have reinstalled the wifi drivers available on the ASUS page for this board, but no change.

Currently running Windows 10 FCU, clean install.
11 REPLIES 11

Kidd232
Level 7
My X299 Deluxe got same problem before, the solution is removing the power cable for 1 minute, you may try this way!

Thanks for the reply, but no luck. Left it powered off for ~2 minutes, still showing up same as above.

SOLVED

It's not part of the standard WIFI install, it's under the "See All Downloads" link and marked Beta Version.

If anyone else sees this and gets confused like me: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/08WIRELESS/WIFI_11ad_Win10_2.0.9.7000_20170807_Beta.zip

wmarone wrote:
SOLVED

It's not part of the standard WIFI install, it's under the "See All Downloads" link and marked Beta Version.

If anyone else sees this and gets confused like me: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/08WIRELESS/WIFI_11ad_Win10_2.0.9.7000_20170807_Beta.zip

And now nearly a year in, we're still stuck with a beta driver for the 802.11ad hardware. Unfortunately, I am now seeing Windows report Code 52 on the driver, claiming it cannot verify the digital signature. This persists after scrubbing the drivers and reinstalling. A quick comparison of the 802.11ac driver shows that there's no Microsoft signature on the 802.11ad driver, only a Qualcomm signature.

It's about time ASUS dropped release drivers for this hardware.

I opened a trouble ticket about a month ago with Asus to try to get them to write an signed driver for the 802.11ad radio. I've been using ethernet since last year, but I've moved to a new place where that's not practical, and I have a Netgear Nighthawk X10 router, so it'd be great if this worked. They first sent me a link to the 802.11ac driver, then told me to disable driver signature enforcement (which resets everytime you restart the computer, and also disables many programs that require it activated.)

It's a shame, because the beta driver, with driver signature enforcement turned off, works fine and provides ~850mbps via fast.com (on a gigabit connection.) But the older driver that I found, that is actually signed, is extremely unreliable and crappy.

They keep saying that my ticket is still being worked, but I'm not very hopeful. It's ridiculous that a flagship, $450 motherboard can't get a driver written for it a year after it's release.

G75rog
Level 10
You could disable the MB Wifi and drop in a pcie Wifi to get you back in operation. Just be sure to buy one with decent drivers...

G75rog wrote:
You could disable the MB Wifi and drop in a pcie Wifi to get you back in operation. Just be sure to buy one with decent drivers...

We're not "out of operation." The motherboard is equipped with both 802.11AD and 802.11AC chipsets. The AC chipset works fine. However, I have gigabit internet at home, and I'd like the included hardware to have a supported driver so I can take full advantage of my internet connection.

Asus has continued to respond to the chain of support emails telling me to download the beta driver from their website, despite my repeated explanations that Windows 10 64-bit will not load unsigned drivers. I strongly suspect that their "L3" technical support doesn't have a strong grasp of the English language.

I've only been buying EVGA video cards for years now due to their outstanding support. I guess this is the last ASUS motherboard I'll ever buy. Absolutely terrible service for a HEDT motherboard.

Nebor
Level 7
Well I hit the end of the line with Asus. After repeatedly stating that they need to release a signed, non-beta driver I got this:*We apologized based on review of your case our product engineers have indicated that currently there are no updates available as the AD is still in its infancy and we may release an update next year.

So there we go. Maybe they’ll release a working driver 2 years after the motherboard came to market. What a joke. *

Nebor wrote:
Well I hit the end of the line with Asus. After repeatedly stating that they need to release a signed, non-beta driver I got this:*We apologized based on review of your case our product engineers have indicated that currently there are no updates available as the AD is still in its infancy and we may release an update next year.

So there we go. Maybe they’ll release a working driver 2 years after the motherboard came to market. What a joke. *

Words fail me.?????