cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI

iransofaraway
Level 7
Hi folks. I bought an Prime X299-Deluxe and a Core i9-7900X - I've had them for months now but keep having a random issue. Sometimes, after rebooting, one of my cores will be maxed at 100% constantly, and checking DPC interrupts shows ACPI.SYS is the culprit. No amount of rebooting, changing drivers, etc seems to correct it - rebooting sometimes fixes it - if I shut down completely and power off the system for like five minutes, then boot back up, the problem sometimes goes away. Sometimes I have to swap around PCI-E cards. It's just bonkers. I've built many computers in my life, and know what I'm doing, but this has me stumped.

I found this other user on Reddit having the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7puiip/win_10_bug_acpisys_always_maxes_out_one_of_my_cpu... - and I have that same motherboard and SSD, but slightly different CPU. The Microsoft tech in that thread seemed to indicate that they looked at the logs and it's possibly an issue with ASUS?

Has anyone experienced anything like this on their X299 hardware? Any tips/ways to get it fixed? I'm already running latest BIOS firmware for my board, and latest drivers on everything.
86 REPLIES 86

Ulos.fr wrote:
I'm waiting after asus support answer...
Don't think and i don't know if putting X299 prime bios in a X299 R6E can work.

ask your ASUS to connect with asus nordic..

*Marko H
ASUS Nordic
Technical Support Department

Silent Scone wrote:

I'm glad. Here's your sticker.

Like I said, we're more open-minded here (usually). The thread title is even called "Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI". Which is exactly what me and other users are having in tandem with using certain utilities.

Probably worth pointing out that disabling TB3 isn't a fix, either. If you're happy simply doing this in your instance, then perhaps it's best to simply stop commenting.

Hard to believe how dense you are for someone boasting about being "open-minded". You add little value to this thread given how many users have already confirmed that Aida has never been installed. Take the Aida issue to a different thread if that is specifically related to that program. Try to be "open-minded" here. For the rest of us who have never heard of that program and are having ACPI.sys issues due to ASUS motherboard firmware, which for the record has been confirmed by Microsoft employees to be an ASUS firmware root issue (I have emails of proof from them that I have already forwarded to ASUS support), we need to exchange information and try to get ASUS to acknowledge this is on them to fix.

Again, why don't you practice what you preach and take the aida issue in a separate thread. They share the same symptom but aren't related. It's time YOU stop commenting and create a separate thread for your aida issue. Be a big boy and move on.

In short, here are the facts as of today, April 23rd:

• Microsoft has confirmed multiple times in email to me that this is an ASUS firmware issue.
  • The ACPI owners have confirmed that this is an ASUS firmware issue. See below for a detailed response from them.
  • Aida users are having issues with their program, but while the symptom is similar, it is a completely different issue, as most users here are not using Aida. It's as if a doctor is saying a normal headache due to fatigue is related to a brain tumor, since they both cause a similar symptom. It's ludicrous and counter-productive to this thread. A new thread has to be created for Aida users. Most people here suffering from this bug have never installed Aida nor used it.
  • ASUS has yet to acknowledge that it's an issue on their part, despite the overwhelming evidence and log inspection done by Microsoft. I have tried to get them in touch with the Microsoft employees helping me, but they haven't reached out yet. More pressure on them is needed.
  • Thunderbolt 3 seems to be one of the root causes. I use TB3 and have this issue, as do the other people in this thread with the same issue.

Here is a detailed comment on the logs from a Microsoft senior programmer. He got in touch with the ACPI owners and passed along the following information. For the record, I got written permission to share this information from private email communication we had.

There’s an obvious abuser:

ACPI method \_GPE._L61 has high frequency 497565.

The frequency is per 5 minutes and… this number is just astonishing. This means _L61 GPE interrupt is flooding system. In a nutshell, the firmware keeps sending us (acpi.sys) the interrupts on 61st GPE pin and expects it (acpi.sys) to execute the firmware provided method - \_GPE._L61.. which we politely do (as contracted). It’s an OEM issue to investigate

And in case you don't understand, OEM = ASUS. It cannot be more clear that ASUS needs to investigate this bug and solve it themselves. Microsoft has confirmed this bug is on ASUS, so have the ACPI owners.

RecklessNL wrote:
Hard to believe how dense you are for someone boasting about being "open-minded". You add little value to this thread given how many users have already confirmed that Aida has never been installed. Take the Aida issue to a different thread if that is specifically related to that program. Try to be "open-minded" here. For the rest of us who have never heard of that program and are having ACPI.sys issues due to ASUS motherboard firmware, which for the record has been confirmed by Microsoft employees to be an ASUS firmware root issue (I have emails of proof from them that I have already forwarded to ASUS support), we need to exchange information and try to get ASUS to acknowledge this is on them to fix.

Again, why don't you practice what you preach and take the aida issue in a separate thread. They share the same symptom but aren't related. It's time YOU stop commenting and create a separate thread for your aida issue. Be a big boy and move on.

In short, here are the facts as of today, April 23rd:

• Microsoft has confirmed multiple times in email to me that this is an ASUS firmware issue.
  • The ACPI owners have confirmed that this is an ASUS firmware issue. See below for a detailed response from them.
  • Aida users are having issues with their program, but while the symptom is similar, it is a completely different issue, as most users here are not using Aida. It's as if a doctor is saying a normal headache due to fatigue is related to a brain tumor, since they both cause a similar symptom. It's ludicrous and counter-productive to this thread. A new thread has to be created for Aida users. Most people here suffering from this bug have never installed Aida nor used it.
  • ASUS has yet to acknowledge that it's an issue on their part, despite the overwhelming evidence and log inspection done by Microsoft. I have tried to get them in touch with the Microsoft employees helping me, but they haven't reached out yet. More pressure on them is needed.
  • Thunderbolt 3 seems to be one of the root causes. I use TB3 and have this issue, as do the other people in this thread with the same issue.

Here is a detailed comment on the logs from a Microsoft senior programmer. He got in touch with the ACPI owners and passed along the following information. For the record, I got written permission to share this information from private email communication we had.

And in case you don't understand, OEM = ASUS. It cannot be more clear that ASUS needs to investigate this bug and solve it themselves. Microsoft has confirmed this bug is on ASUS, so have the ACPI owners.

Once again, take your pride and put it somewhere where it has more value, which isn't here. The title of the thread is Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI

These are precicely the symptons of both issues. Considering your inability to read the thread title, it's highly questionable who the dense person is here. The fact you're not able to post in this thread without insult only cements that.

DooRules wrote:
I have one core running full blast as well it seems. As soon as I closed out Aida64 it dropped right off. Started it back up and one core picked right up again. I use it to monitor some temps for my Aquaero controller. i guess i will try Hwinfo64 and see if the same thing persists.

For me it seems Aida64 was the culprit. Killed it and tried Hwinfo and on several reboots no core going full bore at startup. I will monitor to see if it stays this way.

Another user who immediately found this information useful. AIDA64 is reading registers from the EC, and in one case out of 16 the response is extremely slow in some instances. The penalty access is also something the motherboard is doing, I don't see anywhere in my posts where that is refuted. Perhaps your energy would be better spent reading the thread title first, and subsiquently not being so selfish in trying to squat others suffering similar issues.

After digesting the thread title, if you had been able to read on you would have seen I also after finding my own fix posted this:

Silent Scone wrote:
Yes, that's fine.

For me, following my post worked - but it's not necessarily the same root cause. I'm also running insider build 171115.

Wake on magic packet isn't enabled by default, either.

Not being aggressive will help you enter a situation without coming out with your tail between your legs in future.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Don't fight guys!
Reckless have create this thread "Single core- 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI" here.
He have a X299 Prime Deluxe (TBT 3 deliver with the MB).
It's why I directly speak about TBT 3 because I know like we discuss before since the release of asus x299 model, there is a lot of issue with it. Never have asus answer since October like I said and it's just boring to find trick and finally work on this computer...

Silent Scone, you tried to help him and found an other issue with AIDA64 confirmed by AIDA64 team and others users. But maybe the two issue are link because with aida, you access to deeper thing than normal user. And the issue is the same at the end.

Now what we really need is just Asus answer... And don't loose our patience.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Understood, just in future refrain from trying to shut down other posts as you have been earlier in the thread simply because it's not directly relating. Nobody is disputing that disabling TB is relieving the problem.

Ulos_fr
Level 7
Iransofaraway create that thread and he have a x299 prime deluxe so it's why I had speak directly about TBT 3. The add in card is deliver with the motherboard.
And like I said before; i'm fighting with my computer since October with this issue and I never have Asus answer.
After I think Silent Scone found an other issue during his search of replicate and monitoring with AIda64. This issue is confirmed, replicate by AIDA team and others users. Aida can access deeper in the firmware than a normal user.
But at the end the issue is the same like is wrote "Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI"

Don't fight also because what we really need is an Asus answer...

Ulos_fr
Level 7
Hi all,

Somebody got some answer from his ticket?
Because on my side nothing...
Silent have you some news from AIDA 64 team?

Ulos.fr wrote:
Hi all,

Somebody got some answer from his ticket?
Because on my side nothing...
Silent have you some news from AIDA 64 team?

Nothing yet. These things can take time. Seems a similar issue with the EC readout causing latency is repeatable on other platforms, too. (Z370)

Silent Scone wrote:
Nothing yet. These things can take time. Seems a similar issue with the EC readout causing latency is repeatable on other platforms, too. (Z370)

Hello,

I didn't get full details, but this issue seems to have been a bug in BIOS code that this update fixes. Not stricly add-on card related.
This fix will be included in X299's official BIOS release, most likely in the next official version.

Best Regards,
Marko H
ASUS Nordic
Technical Support Department

Receive direct support for your ASUS All-in-One, Desktop, LCD,
Notebook, Mobile phone and Wireless.
From Sweden: 08 587 69 407
ASUS Supportsite: http://support.asus.com

logo

”Please do not remove any of the previous correspondence in this mail.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 2018-05-15 10:05:21
Subject: Re: Re:Re:Re: Re: Re:Re:Motherboard PRIME X299-A;ASUS Service No=E1804141997

Hi there, i haven´t had a problem now since upgrading to your BIOS. Was the problem related to Thunderbolt or was there another issue?
Just curious since others had similar problems in the ASUS forums claiming they didn´t have any TB card installed.

Best regards Christer

So i recieved a test BIOS from ASUS for the prime x299-a. I haven´t had an issue with the core 2 100% since installing this BIOS.

Asus asked me not to spread this BIOS version since it was a test, but said that this problem was a BIOS problem and wasn´t related to Thunderbolt so hopefully everyone will benefit from this.