cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI

iransofaraway
Level 7
Hi folks. I bought an Prime X299-Deluxe and a Core i9-7900X - I've had them for months now but keep having a random issue. Sometimes, after rebooting, one of my cores will be maxed at 100% constantly, and checking DPC interrupts shows ACPI.SYS is the culprit. No amount of rebooting, changing drivers, etc seems to correct it - rebooting sometimes fixes it - if I shut down completely and power off the system for like five minutes, then boot back up, the problem sometimes goes away. Sometimes I have to swap around PCI-E cards. It's just bonkers. I've built many computers in my life, and know what I'm doing, but this has me stumped.

I found this other user on Reddit having the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7puiip/win_10_bug_acpisys_always_maxes_out_one_of_my_cpu... - and I have that same motherboard and SSD, but slightly different CPU. The Microsoft tech in that thread seemed to indicate that they looked at the logs and it's possibly an issue with ASUS?

Has anyone experienced anything like this on their X299 hardware? Any tips/ways to get it fixed? I'm already running latest BIOS firmware for my board, and latest drivers on everything.
86 REPLIES 86

RecklessNL wrote:
This sounds like a good idea, but did we confirm 100% that this bug doesn't happen when Thunderbolt 3 is disabled / the card is removed?

Also I have never heard of Aida64, some people here keep bringing it up as if it's related to the bug - it's not. Most people here and on reddit who have this issue do not and have never had that program installed. I certainly haven't, and I've had this bug for months. Aida has nothing to do with it and is largely irrelevant to this issue.

The main point to figure out is if TB3 is the main root cause of this, or if this still happens with people not using TB3. So far, it seems most affected users here and on Reddit use TB3 card, but we need to confirm it 100%.

Well, thankfully this isn't reddit, we're a bit more open-minded here. AIDA64 is a widely used and adopted monitoring app. The connection is that for a short period since Windows 10 rolled over to a newer build, ACPI latency is in abundance in certain circumstances. It's best not to jump into a thread with blanket statements when you don't even know what the root course of the issue is. All the boards involved are working with the same EC so it's not difficult to understand why the problems could be connected.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

No issue

Issue

with picture is always more clear 😃

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

I'm glad. Here's your sticker.

Like I said, we're more open-minded here (usually). The thread title is even called "Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI". Which is exactly what me and other users are having in tandem with using certain utilities.

Probably worth pointing out that disabling TB3 isn't a fix, either. If you're happy simply doing this in your instance, then perhaps it's best to simply stop commenting.

Maybe we misunderstood... There are multiple issues and i never said the opposite.
And maybe all are link by the use of some process inside the firmware of the MB.
I tried this afternoon to replicate your issue, but can't have it to put it in pictures like that.
We need to have visibility because it's like asus don't care about ours issues, don't know how many time you are waiting after a fix but for me 7 months.
In all my tickets since this thread on ACPI and 100% core 2 use and latency issues, i mentionned every things and also your name and your search.
If I put images here is just to clarify when i send to asus all forum links, like I do this afternoon.

And after speaking about open minded answer...
Disabling TBT 3 is not a fix for me also just a way to use correctly my computer without issue and for working is not easy to copy from external NAS device to inside ssd, going to bios disabling, switch off, reboot etc... don't have time to waste on that.

The bad side of all this is we are user who speak with user... where is asus.

Ulos do you get this issue running defailt settings in BIOS also?
Have you tried older BIOS like guitardom said earlier in this thread?*

Issue appear with stock setting, just activating tbt3 create a trouble, but like we said with silent. It's not only tbt3 but deeper in firmware.
0503 is *the only I haven't try... because with older one it's high frequency ram issue, vroc etc...
Don't want to exchange issue against others.
*But yesterday got finally asus answer, not with support ticket but with complaint ticket.
They ask me full detailed mail with screen shoot etc...
I write a book... with all link to different forums etc.
Asus France said they will send all to main house.
Now waiting...*

I have recieved a test bios from asus but for asus prime x299-a *i dont have time to go test it though.

Did someone download the bios o posted?
I havent had the time to try it myself.

Ulos how are you doing?*

cRiTza wrote:
Did someone download the bios o posted?
I havent had the time to try it myself.

Ulos how are you doing?*

I'm waiting after asus support answer...
Don't think and i don't know if putting X299 prime bios in a X299 R6E can work.

Ulos.fr wrote:
I'm waiting after asus support answer...
Don't think and i don't know if putting X299 prime bios in a X299 R6E can work.

No, it certainly won't.