cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI

iransofaraway
Level 7
Hi folks. I bought an Prime X299-Deluxe and a Core i9-7900X - I've had them for months now but keep having a random issue. Sometimes, after rebooting, one of my cores will be maxed at 100% constantly, and checking DPC interrupts shows ACPI.SYS is the culprit. No amount of rebooting, changing drivers, etc seems to correct it - rebooting sometimes fixes it - if I shut down completely and power off the system for like five minutes, then boot back up, the problem sometimes goes away. Sometimes I have to swap around PCI-E cards. It's just bonkers. I've built many computers in my life, and know what I'm doing, but this has me stumped.

I found this other user on Reddit having the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7puiip/win_10_bug_acpisys_always_maxes_out_one_of_my_cpu... - and I have that same motherboard and SSD, but slightly different CPU. The Microsoft tech in that thread seemed to indicate that they looked at the logs and it's possibly an issue with ASUS?

Has anyone experienced anything like this on their X299 hardware? Any tips/ways to get it fixed? I'm already running latest BIOS firmware for my board, and latest drivers on everything.
86 REPLIES 86

Sprayingmango wrote:
I was having issues with Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 on my RVIE build. It was causing issues in games with stuttering, I had to completely disable TBMax and it solved all of my issues.

Having issues with a single core having 100%? Or some other issue?

I got the issue with TBT 3 card install. If you have it, disable TBT 3 pcie slot with the pcie swicth, disable thunderbolt under bios, un plug power cable, wait 5 min.
After that you can reboot core 2 utilisation is normal, and no in game fps drop when overclocking is apply and no ssd hdd access latency lag under window.
Issue appear on 3 different x299 rampage VI extreme (RMA 3 times) and with Asus Thunderboltex 3 and gigabyte alpine ridge tbt3.
Ask asus france support no body got the answer, ask intel no body got the answer.
I don't make the test on with the 1301 bios... bored since the release TBT 3 is non fully functionnal on this board. My solution... have to explore my nas with intel nuc, ethernet connection, don't use the TBT 3 on my R6E and losing all the bandwith...
Also with thunderboltex 3 firmware update and latest driver (for update work only on PCIE 4x pch port) issue is here on every pcie port.

Ulos.fr wrote:
I got the issue with TBT 3 card install. If you have it, disable TBT 3 pcie slot with the pcie swicth, disable thunderbolt under bios, un plug power cable, wait 5 min.
After that you can reboot core 2 utilisation is normal, and no in game fps drop when overclocking is apply and no ssd hdd access latency lag under window.
Issue appear on 3 different x299 rampage VI extreme (RMA 3 times) and with Asus Thunderboltex 3 and gigabyte alpine ridge tbt3.
Ask asus france support no body got the answer, ask intel no body got the answer.
I don't make the test on with the 1301 bios... bored since the release TBT 3 is non fully functionnal on this board. My solution... have to explore my nas with intel nuc, ethernet connection, don't use the TBT 3 on my R6E and losing all the bandwith...
Also with thunderboltex 3 firmware update and latest driver (for update work only on PCIE 4x pch port) issue is here on every pcie port.

I thought it was the TBT card too - however it happens to me even if I don't have the card installed (and BIOS has it disabled). The issue seems to randomly be a dice roll on every hard shutdown/power-off of the system.

When you put off tbt 3 card or disable it with bios and pcie switch turn off, don't forget to unplug power cable and wait 2-3 min. Issue desappear at the next reboot.
Some time TBT 3 card work... Asus model or gigabyte but ramdomly after a reboot, issue is back...

The only way i found to use my TBT 3 device for my job is a Oc profile with tbt 3 activate and no Overclocking apply just asus multicore enhanced activate and every thing on auto (just ram setting can be set without bug), You will just have some ssd hdd access latency with the core 2 at 100%... And an other bios Oc profile for gaming with OC setting to 4.8 Ghz, tbt 3 desactived etc...
And when i need to switch work-gaming, have to open the computer disable TBT 3 pcie Switch (for me the 4), change bios unplug the power cable and wait a while... And i can work or game... Very easy way for a professionnal or gaming use of a workstation TBT 3 labeled product...

I spend 3 mounths to find the issue because the trouble stay if you forget one parameter (switch off pcie port, bios desactivate tbt 3 and waiting unplug).
And you don' need aida or hwmon to see that just go in window perf tab you will see the core 2 at 100%.
Like i say the issue happen for me on 3 different X299 R6E with asus and gigabyte TBT3 add in card on every pcie slot... And intel also change my 7900x to test.
I can replicate the issue and when i make ticket no answer from intel or asus other than change my CPU or change motheboard... And tbt3 bug still here.
I had also try with other ram, other power supply, other graphic card, Window on 960 pro or on 900P etc.... every thing.

I have a x299-a with a Thunderbolt EX III card and i have issues with core 2 at 100% i have had contact with asus support but they say they are unable to replicate the problem. Is it the thunderbolt card that is the problem for you for sire??

DooRules
Level 10
I uninstalled HWMon and installed aida, one core full bore. Killed aida and the one core back to normal. Only using HWMon now, it has no issues.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

DooRules wrote:
I uninstalled HWMon and installed aida, one core full bore. Killed aida and the one core back to normal. Only using HWMon now, it has no issues.

I didn't mean for you to uninstall Hardware Monitor, I was referring to AIDA.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

asmodyus
Level 10
Not sure if this is related but every couple days my computer will randomly just stars to stutter sometimes to the point of stand still. I reboot the computer no problem trying to see what going on but in resource monitor I sometime see one of the cpu spiking to 100% repeatability. But if I reboot fixes it.

For the TBT 3, i'm sure! I had test 3 motherboard X299 R6e, 2 7900X and Two differents TBT 3 board (asus, gigabyte), also other ram sticks, other PSU and windows 10 1706 or 1709 on diifferent ssd (samsung 960 pro and intel 900p)... with or without TBT header also.
3 months on it with a watercooling loop cpu x2 gpu to dismount each time (maybe x8) and loosing hours and hours on it and money to put new conductonaut every time... There is no other explaination...
When you activate TBT 3 add in card core 2 is at 100%, there is latency access and bug on ssd and hdd and window x3 loading time.
And if you change cpu ratio to overclock... Yours games run like a **** fps drop, lag, stuttering when a new element appear on the map etc...
Contact asus and intel no body care, they just send me new motherboard or cpu...
But sometime ramdomly the computer can run smoothly for 1-2 days.
Since i have desactivate the board like i explain in my process before, there is no more issue.
To access in my TBT 3 device i have to create a local network and use my nuc skull canyon like a server who access to my tbt 3 device and share it... i m running my nas at 120 mb/sec, normally is 600-800 mb/sec for video 4k and photo editing is not the best.
Begin to think ask a refund and move to gigabyte gaming 9 but pcie slot management is not the same and not fit with my stuff.

I reported this on this forum and others last Nov/Dec. I had a lot more participation and such on other forums, but here is the link from this forum.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97880-Core-spiking-on-x299-Prime-A-bios-(0802)&p=689856#po...

Went through a bunch of back and forth with Asus. It was never resolved. I tested different CPU's and a few different motherboards.
You have 2 options, roll back to bios 0503 or move to another MB brand.