cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single core - 100% CPU - high interrupts on ACPI

iransofaraway
Level 7
Hi folks. I bought an Prime X299-Deluxe and a Core i9-7900X - I've had them for months now but keep having a random issue. Sometimes, after rebooting, one of my cores will be maxed at 100% constantly, and checking DPC interrupts shows ACPI.SYS is the culprit. No amount of rebooting, changing drivers, etc seems to correct it - rebooting sometimes fixes it - if I shut down completely and power off the system for like five minutes, then boot back up, the problem sometimes goes away. Sometimes I have to swap around PCI-E cards. It's just bonkers. I've built many computers in my life, and know what I'm doing, but this has me stumped.

I found this other user on Reddit having the same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7puiip/win_10_bug_acpisys_always_maxes_out_one_of_my_cpu... - and I have that same motherboard and SSD, but slightly different CPU. The Microsoft tech in that thread seemed to indicate that they looked at the logs and it's possibly an issue with ASUS?

Has anyone experienced anything like this on their X299 hardware? Any tips/ways to get it fixed? I'm already running latest BIOS firmware for my board, and latest drivers on everything.
86 REPLIES 86

MirceaForce wrote:
your memory are not in the qvl asus

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2066/ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME/Intel_CoreX-Series_CPU6-core_abov...

sell this memory or return it and buy g.skill for this board or something certified

what is your power supply ?? case etc post all components

Thanks for the reply. I've never gone off of QVL lists - it just means that ASUS has tested/"certified" it. Using RAM not on QVL does not mean you're gonna have problems. I'm not even using the RAM in XMP mode anymore, and still experience the single core bug.

Power supply is ROSEWILL Gaming 80 Plus Gold 750W Power Supply / PSU, CAPSTONE Series. Case seems irrelevant, but its a Corsair Vengeance Series Black C70.

iransofaraway wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I've never gone off of QVL lists - it just means that ASUS has tested/"certified" it. Using RAM not on QVL does not mean you're gonna have problems. I'm not even using the RAM in XMP mode anymore, and still experience the single core bug.

Power supply is ROSEWILL Gaming 80 Plus Gold 750W Power Supply / PSU, CAPSTONE Series. Case seems irrelevant, but its a Corsair Vengeance Series Black C70.

7980xe @4.2ghz
1050ti fanless
Corsair 3000mhz 64gb vengeance white led
Seasonic gold x-1050*
Asus thunderbolt exIII
BIOS 1201*

Even though i sometimes start the computer and core 2 doesnt go up to 100%, my system can seem smooth, but i still get latency spikes that decrease the performance of my computer when i am using my music programs.

cRiTza wrote:
Even though i sometimes start the computer and core 2 doesnt go up to 100%, my system can seem smooth, but i still get latency spikes that decrease the performance of my computer when i am using my music programs.

please update to the latest bios 1301 and also the me

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100952-Bios-1301-Wrong-ME/page3

last post read it

after perform clrear cmos with system shut down remove power cord and press the back of the motherboard

also update windows
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

iransofaraway wrote:

you paid 89$ for a power supply that is crap

you have a 600$ motherboard a more capable supply you need for this job

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-Titanium-Poweron-Self-Warranty-SSR-850TR/dp/B075M3R4YB/ref=sr_1_1?s=...

or

https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Technolohy-COOLERGENIE-controller-EDT1050EWT/dp/B074ZN21SD/ref=sr_1_1...

and

certified ram from qvl

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q-64gtzr

did you try removing the proccesor and installed it again.. ??

also did you connect all the cable from the psu to the motherboard 8 pin + 4 pin for the cpu proper power ??

also what steeping is the cpu ??

like this from here :

Core i9-7900X (3.3G,140W,L3:13.75M,10C,rev:U0)

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_CPU/

also verify all the components to be inserted proper into their slots remove them again and insert them again
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Have you installed anything that may have enabled HPET in Windows 10? It's been known to cause problems with certain configs on this platform.

Run command prompt as administrator and type the following string.

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

Reboot and retest.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Have you installed anything that may have enabled HPET in Windows 10? It's been known to cause problems with certain configs on this platform.

Run command prompt as administrator and type the following string.

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

Reboot and retest.

Thanks, but HPET is not enabled. Using UEFI boot, and I checked my boot config (using bcdedit) and HPET is not set.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Do you have AI Suite installed? Try switching between WIndows Balanced and High Performance power plans.

You may have to uninstall and reinstall device drivers systematically as to find the root of the problem.

Silent Scone wrote:
Do you have AI Suite installed? Try switching between WIndows Balanced and High Performance power plans.

You may have to uninstall and reinstall device drivers systematically as to find the root of the problem.

I do not have AI Suite installed, never had a need for it. I always run in "High Performance" power plan. C-states are disabled too. Turbo Boost max is enabled. I did try uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, but nothing seemed to help - until I shut down my computer and moved around my PCI-E graphics card to another slot, then rebooted - it could've just been rebooting that did it - but I can put the GFX card back to where it was originally and the problem doesn't come back. It's just literally a cointoss if it's going to happen upon boot up or not.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Moving the GPU to another slot would also prompt a reinstallation of the GPU driver, so that's something to go on.