cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG VI APEX detects only 2/4 Ram Modules correctly?

j_battermann
Level 7
Hello there,

I got a somewhat strange problem with my new ROG Rampage VI Apex board in combination with a 4-Dimm (4x16gb 3000mhz) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz kit: the board has its latest bios applied (September 15th 2017) and all 4 ddr4 modules are installed on the board, however the board/bios and therefore also OS only detect 2 of the modules correctly and consequently only 32 out of the 64 expected GB.

Detecting correctly as in - inside the bios the SPD information displays the full information for two of the modules only, for two other modules it displays the information only partially (see attached screenshots), albeit some of their information is there.

Now I tried shuffling the modules in the slots but no change - 2 out of 4 are fully detected.. two are not. I also re-tried all 4 modules in the original system I pulled them from .. and all 4 work perfectly fine there. I also tried loading the bios defaults - no change.. the ROG Rampage VI Apex does not properly recognize all 4 of them.

Does anyone know what's going on here / how I could get the board to recognize all 4 of the modules?

Thanks,
-Jörg
16 REPLIES 16

j.battermann wrote:
Yep - it's a delidded one. I didn't do it myself but I was suspecting that something might have gone wrong. They said they tested it prior to sending it out, but due to the nature of this problem, maybe they didn't test with 4 dimms etc.

Oh my.. I'll have to send it back then. Would you by any chance happen to have made a picture of the (location of the) resistor you've mentioned so I can let the caseking.de folks know where to look specifically? Or maybe point out the one as seen on the delidded 7980xe (mine's a 7960x.. but I assume they look similiar)?

It's the upper one

Tried to show it on your chip now

Great, thanks!

Dancop_HWBOT wrote:
I've had the same issue with 3 chips now...and no, it's neither the board, nor the dimm!
Let me guess, you deliddded your chip, no?
If yes, there's one resistor, quite near to the die, missing then...

Alright - the caseking.de folks were super quick after all... checked my CPU and could reproduce the problem on their side and sent me a replacement / newly delidded one within a day... and this one works as expected! Well as far as I could test it - but all of the memory is properly detected and usable so it seems to have been a problematic delid originally.

Thanks for the suggestion(s) and help!!

-J

xarot
Level 11
Hello,

Any clue how this resistor comes off during delidding, since it's on the side of the PCB?
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

Raja
Level 13
Must've - somehow - pushed the IHS up against it at some point.

haihane
Level 13
Wow. Today I learnt.

Thank you.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.