Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog rampage vi extreme omega

csbin
Level 7
360 REPLIES 360

RichKnecht wrote:
I guess I am the oddball here as I really like the looks of the Omega over the Extreme. IMO, it doesn't look "cheap" at all. They used black anodized aluminum for the covers and the VRMs look like what they should have been in the beginning. I'm not a huge gamer, so I don't want or need 3 GPUs. I have a feeling this will be a big step up from my X299 Strix.

Design complexity is much less, aluminium is not expensive especially these pieces and at the end of the day its just relatively flat pieces...nothing hard to manufacture. The original Rampage VIE is much harder and more expensive if you know anything about production costs. There are changes on the PCB as well and the Start/Reset button is moved down (bad and awkward) and who knows what else lies beneath.

And the VRMs should come with a Waterblock like the Maximus Formula XI that btw has mediocre VRMs with "golden handles"....

You may like it of course but its nothing like the original and no other board is for that matter...maybe we got a unicorn and that's it....
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Abaidor wrote:
Design complexity is much less, aluminium is not expensive especially these pieces and at the end of the day its just relatively flat pieces...nothing hard to manufacture. The original Rampage VIE is much harder and more expensive if you know anything about production costs. There are changes on the PCB as well and the Start/Reset button is moved down (bad and awkward) and who knows what else lies beneath.

And the VRMs should come with a Waterblock like the Maximus Formula XI that btw has mediocre VRMs with "golden handles"....

You may like it of course but its nothing like the original and no other board is for that matter...maybe we got a unicorn and that's it....

A Unicorn indeed as it seems that the Extreme is gone. So, other than the Omega, my only choice it the Prime Deluxe II (I am not a fan of all the white trim) and the Sage (too industrial looking for me).

Abaidor wrote:

I'm happy I built with the Rampage VI Extreme. Beautiful board.

suniverse11@gmail.com wrote:
I'm happy I built with the Rampage VI Extreme. Beautiful board.

Same.

Though I am disappointed with the lack of SATA and USB connectors. In addition to gaming I use the amped up board as kind of a central hub for my digital life. Fortunately my Rampage V is still humming along with all it's SATA populated as a file server.

RichKnecht wrote:
I guess I am the oddball here as I really like the looks of the Omega over the Extreme. IMO, it doesn't look "cheap" at all. They used black anodized aluminum for the covers and the VRMs look like what they should have been in the beginning. I'm not a huge gamer, so I don't want or need 3 GPUs. I have a feeling this will be a big step up from my X299 Strix.

The loss of bling is the least of their worries. Its a downgrade in functionality and loss of components. Actually its almost a dead match for the Strix Gaming model. but even that board has more PCIe slots!! other difference is CPU power connections and the armor. Its certainly not much of an upgrade from even the bottom tier boards and a step down from the original RVIE and apex as well as the deluxe. As for the VRM heatsink they should have made it like the older formula where its set up for liquid instead of a 10K rpm baby fan thats gonna get gunked up and die in less than a year unless you get tired of hearing the tiny fan screaming like a banshee!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:

The only perceived benifit I can see is the additional 8 pin block over the previous 4 pin.

The power solution has been upgraded so that it can handle a sustained 500W+ load, which the original R6E board can't, even with active cooling. The VRM costs twice as much, but better deals with transients (at least 30mV less sag under fast transients).

JustinThyme wrote:
As for the VRM heatsink they should have made it like the older formula where its set up for liquid instead of a 10K rpm baby fan thats gonna get gunked up and die in less than a year unless you get tired of hearing the tiny fan screaming like a banshee!

The VRM fan curves can be controlled. By default, they don’t switch on until 60C, so they’re not constantly active. You can adjust the curve as you see fit, and if the chassis has reasonable airflow, you won’t even need them.

JustinThyme wrote:

Big problem is reduction of PCIE slots. One cannot run 2X GPUs in SLI and 2X PCIE SSDs. I see no VROC key slot either.

Have a look at the manual, which is available online.

Two cards can be used with two drives. Disclaimers are added when there are conditions. As you can see there is a disclaimer for U.2, but not M.2. There is also a VROC key slot.

JustinThyme wrote:

If I was to change up boards Id be going for the WS Sage 10G instead. Im betting this wont even come in at a lower price point. Yes covers are cheaper and most of the bling is gone

The aluminium cover costs $10 more than the last iteration. To buffer that cost, decision was made to remove the AD standard, which will never be widely adopted. The AX standard seems to be the next milestone. We already have two AX routers on the market, with a third on its way. As soon as client controllers are available, we’ll implement onto future boards. It's always a game of compromise. We went with a more rugged engineering approach this time. Hence the alu cover. It helps dissipate heat from drives. Not that the last iteration was bad, it's just this is better. They will both be sold. So no harm done. If rugged engineering is not you, pick something else. There are lots to choose from.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
The power solution has been upgraded so that it can handle a sustained 500W+ load, which the original R6E board can't, even with active cooling. The VRM costs twice as much, but better deals with transients (at least 30mV less sag under fast transients).

The VRM fan curves can be controlled. By default, they don’t switch on until 60C, so they’re not constantly active. You can adjust the curve as you see fit, and if the chassis has reasonable airflow, you won’t even need them.

Have a look at the manual, which is available online.

Two cards can be used with two drives. Disclaimers are added when there are conditions. As you can see there is a disclaimer for U.2, but not M.2. There is also a VROC key slot.

The aluminium cover costs $10 more than the last iteration. To buffer that cost, decision was made to remove the AD standard, which will never be widely adopted. The AX standard seems to be the next milestone. We already have two AX routers on the market, with a third on its way. As soon as client controllers are available, we’ll implement onto future boards. It's always a game of compromise. We went with a more rugged engineering approach this time. Hence the alu cover. It helps dissipate heat from drives. Not that the last iteration was bad, it's just this is better. They will both be sold. So no harm done. If rugged engineering is not you, pick something else. There are lots to choose from.

Thanks for all the info. I have no doubt this board will be a capable performer like the previous versions. It's a great idea to have both the Extreme and Omega for sale simultaneously as I prefer the look of the Omega. Only time will tell. Looking forward to the reviews, but I'll be first in line for this board when they become available.

RichKnecht
Level 7
Seems like this thread has become a bashing zone for Asus. Kind of sucks for us users looking for a new board for their X299 rigs that has a capable power delivery system, capable VRM cooling, and what should be great overclocking potential. If you don't like the looks, OK I get it. You already own an Extreme, so there is no need for you to upgrade....great. If the board doesn't offer the features you want/need, buy something else. I, for one, will be buying this board and I'll probably not be alone. Just like the Intel refresh of X299, some like it and some don't. I know I will not be trading my delidded chip for a soldered chip. Same goes for this refresh. Some will make the switch, some won't.

I have a feeling the direction of this thread will change once the boards start rolling out to consumers and reviewers. Until that moment comes around, I'll just wait impatiently for these to hit the shelves.

RichKnecht wrote:
Seems like this thread has become a bashing zone for Asus. Kind of sucks for us users looking for a new board for their X299 rigs that has a capable power delivery system, capable VRM cooling, and what should be great overclocking potential. If you don't like the looks, OK I get it. You already own an Extreme, so there is no need for you to upgrade....great. If the board doesn't offer the features you want/need, buy something else. I, for one, will be buying this board and I'll probably not be alone. Just like the Intel refresh of X299, some like it and some don't. I know I will not be trading my delidded chip for a soldered chip. Same goes for this refresh. Some will make the switch, some won't.

I have a feeling the direction of this thread will change once the boards start rolling out to consumers and reviewers. Until that moment comes around, I'll just wait impatiently for these to hit the shelves.

I'm ready for a new build and the Omega looks awesome to me. My R6E is my favorite PC of all time and I'm hoping I'll be just as pleased with the Omega.

Raja
Level 13
We can clean it up once you get your board, Rich. Or start another.