Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog rampage vi extreme omega

csbin
Level 7
360 REPLIES 360

Hellbound
Level 7
If I cant find a RVIE, is the Omega the only option for high end from Asus? If Omega is not a replacement for the RVIE, then why discontinue the RVIE? Not sure what to think about the Omega.

Hellbound wrote:
If I cant find a RVIE, is the Omega the only option for high end from Asus? If Omega is not a replacement for the RVIE, then why discontinue the RVIE? Not sure what to think about the Omega.

I'm having problems finding it anywhere that doesn't have a refurbished board or charging double or tripple the price.

Ohpus wrote:
I'm having problems finding it anywhere that doesn't have a refurbished board or charging double or tripple the price.

That's why I just went ahead and got the Omega. B&H had a (supposedly) new one in stock a while back, $649. I just decided $100 more wasn't all that much compared to what the rest of a HEDT rig runs these days. Almost every other component (or component group in like the water cooling loop) cost more - CPU/GPU/RAM all cost more than $750. PSU cost less, case cost less. That's about it.

Mine has been very well behaved, I haven't had a single flaw that I can think of. The board diagram in the manual is a mess, but I doubt this is the very first board most people ever purchase so most can still navigate the connections.

OK one thing that I didn't like: The M.2_1 despite having the lower number (closer to the metal, you'd think) is the PCH M.2 slot. M.2_2 is the CPU M.2 slot and seems to be about 10% faster in the quick Crystal Disk Mark comparison (identical new drives in both in my case). At least I think that's correct. These drives are so fast that I'll probably never notice 10%, I guess that's what I get for thinking the lower number slot would be the faster choice.

Even bone stock no OC this 7980XE just wipes the floor with the 4.6Ghz OC 5960X in the RVE in multithreaded stuff.

Ohpus wrote:

I have a brand new Rampage vi Extreme for sale. I bought it days before the omega was announced and as soon as it was I wanted that instead so instead of dealing with the return I figured I just sell it. Its on ebay my user name is tp624.

Hellbound wrote:

Same case for the Apex to seem I can find that board forsale ether any more.

LiveOrDie wrote:
Same case for the Apex to seem I can find that board forsale ether any more.

I recently purchased a complete Apex package on Ebay for $350.
Put 32GB and a 9900x on it for my son. It's living in a Thermaltake View 91 case at his house running great.

Yaboyali
Level 7
Can i run two rtx 2080ti’s and 4 m.2 970 pros with this mother board? *Will the graphics cards run at 16/16? Also I’m new to the whole vroc, can anyone tell me I’m able to vroc 4 970 pros 512gb each? *Or is the maximum 3*

Yaboyali wrote:
Can i run two rtx 2080ti’s and 4 m.2 970 pros with this mother board? *Will the graphics cards run at 16/16? Also I’m new to the whole vroc, can anyone tell me I’m able to vroc 4 970 pros 512gb each? *Or is the maximum 3*

I am not running Vroc, because I see no benefits in using it. I have a NVMe from which I boot my OS and two NVMe running in RAID0 (via Storage Spaces before I had them running as Stripe Volume via Disk Management). Performance wise I see no ground breaking differences and seeing the hassle with license dongles and so on, I can life with this 100% working method.

You can run two GPUs in PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 and they will both run in PCI Express x16 as long as PCIEX16_3 stays unpopulated. If you use PCIEX16_3, both 2 and 3 will switch to PCIe x8. PCIEX16_1 is always x16.

You can put the 4 NVMe in the on board and DIMM M.2 sockets. M2_1 gets it's lanes from the PCH, while the other sockets all get their lanes directly from the CPU. I have no idea which of those could be run in Vroc.

Aysberg wrote:
I am not running Vroc, because I see no benefits in using it. I have a NVMe from which I boot my OS and two NVMe running in RAID0 (via Storage Spaces before I had them running as Stripe Volume via Disk Management). Performance wise I see no ground breaking differences and seeing the hassle with license dongles and so on, I can life with this 100% working method.

You can run two GPUs in PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 and they will both run in PCI Express x16 as long as PCIEX16_3 stays unpopulated. If you use PCIEX16_3, both 2 and 3 will switch to PCIe x8. PCIEX16_1 is always x16.

You can put the 4 NVMe in the on board and DIMM M.2 sockets. M2_1 gets it's lanes from the PCH, while the other sockets all get their lanes directly from the CPU. I have no idea which of those could be run in Vroc.

Thank you for the helpful information.*

RichKnecht
Level 7
One thing I have noticed when overclocking with this board is that LLC settings seem a little "weaker" than those on my old Strix board. On the Strix, I had it set to 6 and vccin would not move from my set value of 1.95V. With the Omega, with a setting of 7, vccin still drops from 1.95 to 1.92 under load. On level 6, it would drop a lot more than that ( ~1,87) which caused blue screens. So far on 7, everything seems fine, but I would expect this board to perform a little better than that. I don't like running LLC so close to max. Any suggestions?