cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore

LiveOrDie
Level 11
ASUS today launched the Republic of Gamers (ROG) Rampage VI Extreme Encore socket LGA2066 motherboard. This board replaces the original ROG Rampage VI Extreme from the product-stack, but is positioned a notch below the Extreme Omega. It still has a beefy EATX PCB, but with slight variations to the layout. A few features such as the U.2 port are removed, while some of the connectivity options receive major updates. To begin with, the Extreme Encore features Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) WLAN (the Extreme Omega has the older 802.11ac standard). The Extreme Encore also features a 20 Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 port, which combines 10 Gbps wiring from two ports to a single port. The wired networking is unchanged, with a 10 GbE interface driven by an Aquantia controller, and a 1 GbE driven by an Intel i219-V.

ASUS also reworked the CPU VRM compared to the original Rampage VI Extreme. The new Extreme Encore features a 16-phase CPU VRM with Infineon TDA21472 power-stages, and a large fan-heatsink with more surface-area than even the heatsink featured on the Extreme Omega. The memory VRM is a 4-phase (2+2 phase) setup. The expansion slot area has been made a little more usable, with x16, space, x4, x16, space x16, compared to the x16, double-space, x16, x4, x16 layout of the Extreme Omega. The Extreme Encore features the latest ROG design scheme, with even more acrylic aRGB diffusers. The rest of the board's feature-set is identical to that of the Extreme Omega. The ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore is expected to be priced at USD $649.99.

Source

153 REPLIES 153

tistou77
Level 13
Hello

I switched to Encore and I have a few questions (compared to R6E)

The Encore has this famous double boot (when the PSU was off) possible to remove it (the R6E no longer had this double boot with the latest bios) ?
Which is longer than with the R6E (it turned off almost after startup, the Encore takes longer to shut down)

Nothing alarming, but the boot is longer, especially POST (before displaying the ROG logo)
Same setting as the R6E and same device (just the keyboard and mouse plugged into USB3 ports, USB2 port on the R6E)
Maybe the ASmedia controller...

I saw that there is an Intel USB3 controller, you know which USB port is it for?

It seems that at the back of the MB there are ASmedia and Intel

Or did you plug the keyboard and mouse into which port?

Thanks
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

martine-dee
Level 12
Hi. Currently having the rog strix x299-e gaming, I notice that encore's PCIEX16_1 is closer to the RAM.

For your convenience: e gaming vs. encore mans.

PCIE Slot Layout

Naturally, I would worry whether a graphics card like a GTX 1080 Ti or an RTX 2080 Ti would fit in encore's PCIEX16_1, below a high speed RAM set.

Also, on e gaming I cannot use PCIEX8/X1_3 (the bottom pcie slot) for my AE-9, because of the COM plug. It looks like it is the same with encore's bottom pcie slot (PCIEX16_3) and the EZ_PLUG.

So, in case that I cannot use encore's PCIEX16_1 for the graphics card, the only shot I would have at plugging AE-9 is if PCIEX16_1 could take AE-9 instead. Very risky purchase imo.

So, @tistou77, can also the case bar user from using the first slot for the graphics card?

M2 Slots

One thing I like about e gaming and e gaming II are those vertical M2 slots. When I got my first M2 drive, I put it in e gaming's M.2_1. Despite being fairly away from the graphics card, as soon as I'd start gaming, the heat would cause game freezes due to M2 overheating. The drive's operational temp is up to 70C, and only keeping that temp under 70C fixed the issue. I accomplished this by moving it to M.2_2. So, I am very unlikely to want to use a horizontal M2 slot ever again. Encore doesn't have any vertical M2 slots, right?

I think those are my worries, the layout issues.
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating

@tistou77 #138

I have the same double boot with my RVIE Encore from cold boot.
MSI have fixed the same thing with their Intel Z490 !

Description
- Improve memory compatibility.
- Fix that the system will restart twice when the power supply is cold booted

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-Z490-ACE

I wish I knew what they changed, so that I could possibly transfer/mod to the encore bios

Problem started after bios 0401. I have tried to back-flash to 0401 without success in solving the problem (using USB programmer as well)

I have also removed the coin cell battery and shorted it's contacts as well for 20-30 seconds

So it could be firmware related, as 0504 or 0505 did a firmware update . LED Firmware I Think & somthing else

C'mon Asus please fix this problem !

tistou77
Level 13
@Biozz

Thanks for the informations 😉
With the R6E and since bios 2004, this double boot isn't present

Maybe with the Encore and the next bios 🙂
Sorry for my english 😄

tistou77 wrote:
@Biozz

Thanks for the informations 😉
With the R6E and since bios 2004, this double boot isn't present

Maybe with the Encore and the next bios 🙂

@Tistou77,

Is it safe to use your modded latest bios 0603 into the Rampage Encore?
The more I read about this board the more worried I become.

Can anyone explain what is the issue with the double boot?

Thanks a lot

Desertum_0 wrote:
@Tistou77,

Is it safe to use your modded latest bios 0603 into the Rampage Encore?

Yes it's safe 😉
Sorry for my english 😄

tistou77 wrote:
Yes it's safe 😉

New Bios today, no mention of double boot.

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE BIOS 0702
"1. Update ME FW version.
2. Improved system stability
3. Update Microcode for IPU 2020.1

Desertum_0
Level 10
The bios for the omega has not been updated since Version 3006
2020/02/14... It is due for an update a long time ago.

As per the Encore,usually Asus will provide a bios update every 3 months,it is also past due.

Pick up your act Asus.

tistou77
Level 13
I installed it and still this double boot
And also, always the problem with the voltage of the rams
Sorry for my english 😄

BigJohnny
Level 13
I know I’m dragging up the dead but I’ve not experienced a double boot with a 9940X or 10980XE.*