cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtek onboard sound goes to sleep?

sehlat
Level 10
I have an Asus Rampage VI Extreme Omega motherboard and I recently installed the newest Realtek Sound drivers, the Realtek Console and Sonic 3 courtesy of MoKiChU. Everything works a heck lot better than when the old drivers were being used. I love the new controls and software and I want to thank him for his hard work. However, I have one question. It seems that after a period of 5 minutes or so of sound inactivity, like surfing the web, the onboard sound goes to sleep. If I don't prod it awake by clicking on the sound icon and hitting the volume bar to refresh, it tends to stay asleep even when I launch a game. I also have EVERY Sleep and Hibernate setting I can find turned off in Windows, so NOTHING should go to sleep on my system. Am I missing something or is this normal?
5 REPLIES 5

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Try by disabling PCI Express Link State Power Management in your power plan to avoid L0s/L1 state of PCI Express power management mechanism :

- Windows Control Panel > Power Options > Change plan settings of your current power plan > Change advanced power settings > PCI Express > Link State Power Management : Disabled.

sehlat
Level 10
The ONE setting I hadn't changed. Figures. I didn't think it applied to on board sound. Oh well. The only selection to set it to is "Off" on my system, which I selected. So next time I'm surfing for awhile, I'll check to see if it sleeps again. So far so good. If it does it again, I'll let you know. Thanks.

Perhaps you can answer another question. I purchased a USB HyperX Quadcast microphone. Ever since plugging it in to a USB port and having Windows install the driver, I've been getting an Event 219, Kernel-PnP cannot load the Driver/WudfRd error every time I boot the system as long as it's plugged in. Everything reports as working properly in the Device Manager, no yellow triangles, and the mic works just fine. Any ideas?

sehlat wrote:
The ONE setting I hadn't changed. Figures. I didn't think it applied to on board sound. Oh well. The only selection to set it to is "Off" on my system, which I selected. So next time I'm surfing for awhile, I'll check to see if it sleeps again. So far so good. If it does it again, I'll let you know. Thanks.

Well, keep us informed 😉

sehlat wrote:
Perhaps you can answer another question. I purchased a USB HyperX Quadcast microphone. Ever since plugging it in to a USB port and having Windows install the driver, I've been getting an Event 219, Kernel-PnP cannot load the Driver/WudfRd error every time I boot the system as long as it's plugged in. Everything reports as working properly in the Device Manager, no yellow triangles, and the mic works just fine. Any ideas?

The generic PnP drivers seem have trouble with your USB mic (which does not impact its functioning however), you have to open a ticket at HyperX support : https://www.hyperxgaming.com/unitedstates/us/support/technical/products/hx-micqc

sehlat
Level 10
OK, changing that one setting did keep the sound from going to sleep. Thank you sir.

1. Go Into Device Manager to Find Your Drivers
First, you need to identify the driver version you have for Realtek. Use your search icon on the Windows taskbar to look for your “Device Manager,� and select it.
Once the Device Manager is open, find your Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.
Expand the menu and see if your Realtek High Definition Audio driver exists.

2. Perform a Manual Update Push
Once you locate the Realtek HD Audio driver, right-click on that driver and select Update Driver.
You will then be prompted to Search automatically for updated software, or to browse for a manual driver located on your computer.
Select to search automatically.
Windows 10 will automatically begin updating to the latest driver available in their database.

Greetings,
Peter