Intel 7980XE
Intel SSD 900P 480gb
Samsung SM863 2tb
WD Gold 10TB x4 (RAID 10)
Megaraid 9361-8i
AMD Vega FE
64GB Trident Z RGB, DDR4 3600MHz, CL17
+ custom WC loop

I have never experienced so much trouble than from this MB.

Bios 0802 is causing random lockups (every 15-30min) and gets stuck on the boot
Bios 1002 can't shutdown (goes to just back to login screen and gets stuck on the book, so this is not viable option too.
Bios 1004 "works" but it still has stability problems. It hangs and gets stuck on boot "only" every few days and it wont overclock as well as in 1002 (event with everything in stock, no overclocking or XMP).

...then we get to Fall Update compatibility issues, well I have tried to install different W10 builds on every bios version (except 1003 as it has same problems as 0802 and 1002). After 20-30 installs the conclusion is that board is not compatible with the Fall Update on any bios versions OR any driver versions available OR any ISO versions from the MS (September and November versions).

Immediately after clean install Edge freeze while browsing, explorer hangs when creating shortcut to the desktop... so basically windows build 1709 is not usable. Some times I got usable Windows when I upgraded from the 1703 to 1709 but still I'm not too confident on this route also as I got random problems also which are not present on 1703.

Only stable version for me is currently 1703. I have tested with other cpu and memory with the same results.

I noticed that all these issues were quite wide spread as other complain from the same issues (here and other forums) and latest posts from the MS support forum is not encouraging as they blame Asus from their broken bios.

...then all this with failed VRM cooler design is enough.

Even thought all these problems (well except the VRM design) are correctable by the future BIOS updates I'm going to RMA this board and send it back.
Asus lost my faith and soon going to test Asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE.

I have never seen this broken flagship MB from Asus. It's quite a mystery how they release the product when they must have known in advance that their BIOS is not stable enough. I'm not going to be beta tester with the workstation which I should work and rely on my daily work.

End of RANT.
38 REPLIES 38

vennacher
Level 7
I also had issues with the Fall Creators update with booting and stability. Don't have an RIVE, but do have an R$BE and they are reasonably close for comparison. My rig is nearing 5 years old and for awhile I thought something major was failing. It took me about a month to troubleshoot, finally nailing the last piece down last week.

The only thing that kept me from swapping parts was that the only change between and functioning system and non-functioning system was the Fall Creators Update, earlier versions were fine.

Do you have a connected USB device? Are you using Vcore offset mode? These 2 things were my bane after the Fall Creators Update install. My flash card reader (has a Genesys controller) does not work with the Fall Creators update. Driver Power State Failure blue screens, and long boot times. Disconnected it and these problems went away. Maybe it was on the verge of failing??? even though it seemed to work fine with earlier versions. Second issue, can no longer use Vcore offset mode with C-states enabled and needed also to increase the + offset. The issue is with idle voltages. Can only speculate that the Fall Creators Update changed something in how windows manages power savings. This sometimes manifest itself hanging between post and windows start up, sometimes while reading email or other light load. Somethings my system just hung, others it would outright blue screen. Most common BSODs were WHEA and Watchdog Timeout. Best solution for me was to switch to a fixed voltage.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

vennacher
Level 7
Doh! Sorry for my dyslexia. I read Rampage VI as Rampage IV. Just ignore my last post.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

vennacher wrote:
Doh! Sorry for my dyslexia. I read Rampage VI as Rampage IV. Just ignore my last post.

...guess what, I just looked over my friends computer who was using my previous MB, Rampage IV (X79, tested with the latest bios 4901). It had all the same problems with FCU as I did with Rampage VI.

It's easy to test if FCU is working correctly or not.

After clean install open Edge and write "hwinfo" to the address bar and click the first result from the bing (https://www.hwinfo.com). When you click the link, almost every time Edge freezes. If it opens without freezing, click download and download installer link. From there click FossHub (Fast CDN), in this link Edge will freeze always if FCU has problem.

Other method is installing chrome (usually Edge freeze on this also) and when chrome is installed, visit on some web site and try to create shortcut to the desktop by dragging the link to the desktop. Chrome will freeze.

In last method, after clean install and type settings on start and windows settings opens. Usually you cannot click any of the icons but if you can it will with high probability freeze when you try to open "Update & security".

Explorer freezing, file system errors (acl errors), edge freezing... on X79 and X299 boards what I have tested. This is not isolated problem only on X299 but on X79 also which is alarming. It means that FCU breaks on majority of the Asus boards. I should receive board from Asrock soon post updates how things go with that board...

grayl wrote:
...guess what, I just looked over my friends computer who was using my previous MB, Rampage IV (X79, tested with the latest bios 4901). It had all the same problems with FCU as I did with Rampage VI.

It's easy to test if FCU is working correctly or not.

After clean install open Edge and write "hwinfo" to the address bar and click the first result from the bing (https://www.hwinfo.com). When you click the link, almost every time Edge freezes. If it opens without freezing, click download and download installer link. From there click FossHub (Fast CDN), in this link Edge will freeze always if FCU has problem.

Other method is installing chrome (usually Edge freeze on this also) and when chrome is installed, visit on some web site and try to create shortcut to the desktop by dragging the link to the desktop. Chrome will freeze.

In last method, after clean install and type settings on start and windows settings opens. Usually you cannot click any of the icons but if you can it will with high probability freeze when you try to open "Update & security".

Explorer freezing, file system errors (acl errors), edge freezing... on X79 and X299 boards what I have tested. This is not isolated problem only on X299 but on X79 also which is alarming. It means that FCU breaks on majority of the Asus boards. I should receive board from Asrock soon post updates how things go with that board...
The first and only thing I do with Edge is downlaod and install Chrome. I didn't experiance any problems. Dragging a link to the desktop has no issues either. This is on Win10 1709.

Quozzo wrote:
The first and only thing I do with Edge is downlaod and install Chrome. I didn't experiance any problems. Dragging a link to the desktop has no issues either. This is on Win10 1709.

What MB and bios you were using?

For me 1709 did work sometimes, usually when I updated 1703 to 1709. Sometimes 1709 september ISO version installed in stable state (only with VROC drivers and I couldn't install November version in stable manner in with any drivers). If people post their FCU experiences it would be great to know more detailed about the HW and was 1709 installed fresh or updated from 1703.

ExcessiveGBH
Level 8
No problem here with Chrome dragging link to desktop.
But did have another problem with MS update KB4054517, this was stopping Express VPN from opening and some Steam games. Uninstalled and blocked using wushowhide.diagcab.
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

Got the Asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE and all problems went away. No more random freezing or any issues EXCEPT Windows 1709 which has the same problems as I was facing with the the Rampage VI Extreme (Edge freezing and some other anomalies).

Asrock also OC'd more easily and in lower voltages.

No more Asus for me.

grayl wrote:
Got the Asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE and all problems went away. No more random freezing or any issues EXCEPT Windows 1709 which has the same problems as I was facing with the the Rampage VI Extreme (Edge freezing and some other anomalies).

No more Asus for me.

Good luck with Asrock!

Post up your OC validation with the Asrock with CPUZ validate, bet you I beat it with a RVIE and with lower voltages! NO CPUZ validation and it didnt happen. Mine is in my sig,

Now go and search any search engine with keywords Asrock fatality X299 random freeze, plenty of hits.
What everyone seems to be forgetting is this is a new platform and early adopters always get to take a ride on the bug train until its all sorted.

As for the rest, none of that has a thing to do with the platform and everything to do with a hosed up OS release, not that this is like an islated incident with M$.

Also FYI you should go check out how many BIOS updates others have had with the X299 platform, including Asrock. We all know that ALL manufacturers had to rush to market and they have all had stability issues. They all have had VRM issues too, Der8auer did a segment on this. Please keep in mind that the design and roadmap is not a manufacturer design, its an Intel design. The manufacturers are tasked with implementing that design and developing a BIOS to make it work, Intel only Does the BIOS on Intel manufactured boards.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

grayl wrote:

No more Asus for me.

That's too funny. Asus started Pegasus/ASRock. Pegasus still build boards for both Asus and ASRock. And Asus and ASRock share IP. So whether you like it or not you never said good bye.

how to switch between two BIOS on this RVIE ???