cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Apex 1705 Bios Freezing

roblangston
Level 7
I have recently updated to the latest 1705 BIOS and now my machine seems to freeze randomly when running XMP settings.

Prior to this, I have used 1301 and 1503 BIOS without any problems.

PC Specs:-

i9-7900x
1080ti
32GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB)
2 x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe

I have also noticed a lot of the BIOS revisions are now missing from the Asus download section.

Is anyone else having the same issues?
15 REPLIES 15

This is some really strange behaviour. Installed a second GPU GTX1050 in PCIe 3 slot, left existing graphics card in PCIe1 slot but disabled with the onboard jumpers. PC has been running since yesterday without any crashes or issues. Then decided to disable PCIe3 via the jumpers and re-enable PCIe1 and everything is still running without issues ~ 5 hours so far. I am really at a loss as to why everything would work with 2 GPU cards in the MB with one of them disabled. Something else which is strange is that the fans on the GTX1050 run at 100% even though the PCIe slot is disabled.

roblangston wrote:
This is some really strange behaviour. Installed a second GPU GTX1050 in PCIe 3 slot, left existing graphics card in PCIe1 slot but disabled with the onboard jumpers. PC has been running since yesterday without any crashes or issues. Then decided to disable PCIe3 via the jumpers and re-enable PCIe1 and everything is still running without issues ~ 5 hours so far. I am really at a loss as to why everything would work with 2 GPU cards in the MB with one of them disabled. Something else which is strange is that the fans on the GTX1050 run at 100% even though the PCIe slot is disabled.

Please let us know if your problems come back or/and if you find any final solution. I have the same issues as you - e.g. my PC can randomly freeze in different moments. Monitors still show image, but nothing works and only hard restart helps. Also my rig can pass few hour stress test without problems and then freeze when browsing Facebook... Sometimes I update BIOS or change memory settings and the PC run for many weeks without problems. Once I had no problems for two months and then the PC has frozen again. I think that your issues will be back. I think that the only solution is to RMA the board, but I'm afraid that they will not accept my claims as the problem is not visible immediately - the PC has to ran for few days at least.

Also can you hear something from the board in a moment it freezes? I can hear a crack (crackle, sizzle - don't know what word should I use).

Well, I am getting closer to solving the issue I believe. I have just moved my 1080ti from PCIe slot 1 to PCIe slot 3 but that didn't resolve the issue. However, I also disabled the on-board Intel Ethernet NIC and the PC has been rock solid stable for 6 hours now. I am hoping that is the root cause of the issue. Update: Ignore that, PC just froze again with the Intel NIC disabled.

@rython - I can't hear any sounds when the machine freezes, just the display is frozen along with the mouse pointer. The frequency can be anywhere between 30 seconds to over 8 hours. I have noticed that when the machine is under heavy load it will never freeze and only seems to happen when carrying out light tasks like browsing the web or downloading some files.

A bit of an update on this. I was unable to isolate the exact cause of the problem so went to the extreme length of dismantling the entire PC, removing the hardline water cooling and installing a replacement motherboard from a different manufacturer. The machine has now been running for ~15 hours without any issues. It seems to me that the problem is located somewhere on the motherboard but I am unsure of the exact issue. What I do know is its a PIA to swap a motherboard when the system is under hardline water.

Just a quick follow up, old board is going in for RMA. New MSI board has been rock solid.

Just a follow up, 2 months on from the original issue. Since swapping over to the MSI board with the same hardware attached, I have not had a single issue. Old board went in to the service centre and was returned as being fixed but without any accompanying documentation on what has actually been done to it. Am I now supposed to spend time re-testing everything as its going to be sold and I dont want to pass the board onto someone else without verifying the fault has actually been fixed.