cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI and M.2 SLOTS clarification

Geekslayer
Level 7
Hello, I'm just looking for some clarification on these m.2 slots on this motherboard, PLEASE correct if I'm wrong, but my understanding
is the following......

1. M.2_1 (ENCLOSED SLOT BETWEEN PCIE SLOTS) (SATA/PCH ONLY ) (CAN BE MIXED WITH INTEL SATA III RAID)
2. M.2_1 (DIMM2) (SLOT ON RISER CARD FACING THE RAM) CPU OR PCH
3. M.2_2 (DIMM2) (SLOT ON RISER CARD FACING POWER CONNECTOR) PCH ONLY

The reason I'm asking is because I would get varying results on some benchmarks when using the M.2_2 (DIMM2) slot
for my 970 pro, but when I use M.2_1 (DIMM2) the results are more consistent when using the CPU . My guess is that
only one slot that can work directly with the CPU, and that is the M.2_1 (DIMM2) slot ??

-thank you !!!!
7 REPLIES 7

czechoj
Level 7
Geekslayer wrote:
Hello, I'm just looking for some clarification on these m.2 slots on this motherboard, PLEASE correct if I'm wrong, but my understanding
is the following......

1. M.2_1 (ENCLOSED SLOT BETWEEN PCIE SLOTS) (SATA/PCH ONLY ) (CAN BE MIXED WITH INTEL SATA III RAID)
2. M.2_1 (DIMM2) (SLOT ON RISER CARD FACING THE RAM) CPU OR PCH
3. M.2_2 (DIMM2) (SLOT ON RISER CARD FACING POWER CONNECTOR) PCH ONLY

The reason I'm asking is because I would get varying results on some benchmarks when using the M.2_2 (DIMM2) slot
for my 970 pro, but when I use M.2_1 (DIMM2) the results are more consistent when using the CPU . My guess is that
only one slot that can work directly with the CPU, and that is the M.2_1 (DIMM2) slot ??

-thank you !!!!

M.2_2 depends only on the CPU and not PCH because it works only with 44 Lane CPUs

czechoj wrote:
M.2_2 depends only on the CPU and not PCH because it works only with 44 Lane CPUs

I do have a 44 lane i9-7940x and thank you for responding. in the back of my mind i was thinking that too, but I'm
wondering why my benchmarks vary so much using this slot. I'm certain you don't need the M.2_1 slot populated as
well if you want to use the M.2_2 slot..... Ohhh well, back to the drawing board.

-thanks again !!

G75rog
Level 10
Careful reading of the motherboard manual answers a lot of questions before they are asked.

Do you have a 44 lane CPU?

czechoj
Level 7
According to the profile, Geekslayer has i9-7940X, so there are 44 lines on board

JustinThyme
Level 13
Check that you are not sharing any lanes. Do you have other sata drives installed? Is it set up for gen 3 and X4? *I get the same results no matter where I put it.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Check that you are not sharing any lanes. Do you have other sata drives installed? Is it set up for gen 3 and X4? *I get the same results no matter where I put it.*

I found a great deal on (4) 860 EVO 1TB SATA III drives on Black Friday, but they're plugged into the SATA III ports 1-4 (PCH) and shouldn't
really affect the m.2 ports. The 970 pro is running great in M.2_1 DIMM2. Shame on Asus for the port naming, I think Rainman could
have done a better job. Some day I'll try and figure out why putting my 970 pro in M.2_2 DIMM2 has performance issues. It's roughly
any where between 10% and 50% (sometimes it's good though)

-thanks for the reply !

Geekslayer wrote:
I found a great deal on (4) 860 EVO 1TB SATA III drives on Black Friday, but they're plugged into the SATA III ports 1-4 (PCH) and shouldn't
really affect the m.2 ports. The 970 pro is running great in M.2_1 DIMM2. Shame on Asus for the port naming, I think Rainman could
have done a better job. Some day I'll try and figure out why putting my 970 pro in M.2_2 DIMM2 has performance issues. It's roughly
any where between 10% and 50% (sometimes it's good though)

-thanks for the reply !

This is what I get when it's running good. I'm using Windows's driver, but have the same issue with Samsung's.
when the performance drops. I don't have any screenshots of those, but everything drops between 10% to 50%
sometimes. I let the drive cool, before running the next test. I've had it in the m.2_1 slot for a week and it's still
good.

I found a screenshot when the performance drops