cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI (1503 BIOS) i9-7940x-AVX2 & AVX-512 Issues ?

Geekslayer
Level 7
I've been running my new system @4.3Ghz(all cores) with no offsets for AVX/AVX-512 for
a few weeks with out "any" issues. I've been mostly running 3DMark and OCCT for heat,
prime 95 with AVX for load and heat, got some great physics and CPU scores in 3Dmark,
and max core temp in Prime 95 was 82c when it was pulling around 316 watts. I've played
FarCry 5, Battlefield, and a couple of other games and "not one" lockup or blue screen
UNTIL I ran latest versions of CpuZ benchamrk utility and AIDA 64's Stress test.

I get a blue screen when trying to run the AVX/AVX-512 benchmarks in cpuZ (It states that
it's beta so I kind of blew it off), but then I got hard lockups AIDA 64's stress test and
started to get nervous. Both the blue screen and hard lockup happend within 2 secs of running
those tests. Meanwhile all my other software is still running great. So I moved my offsets down
to 4.1Ghz for AVX/AVX-512 to get these "two benchmarks" running. And that seems to have fixed it.

As far as i know they're using AVX in instructions in 3DMark, prime95 and OCCT, and I can run them
without "any" issues. So I'm asking the age old question...Do I have a stability problem or is
it the software? (cpuZ and AIDA stress test)

-thank you !!!!

3DMark

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/17041168
http://www.3dmark.com/spy/5033785

Prime95

3 REPLIES 3

restsugavan
Level 13
Geekslayer wrote:
I've been running my new system @4.3Ghz(all cores) with no offsets for AVX/AVX-512 for
a few weeks with out "any" issues. I've been mostly running 3DMark and OCCT for heat,
prime 95 with AVX for load and heat, got some great physics and CPU scores in 3Dmark,
and max core temp in Prime 95 was 82c when it was pulling around 316 watts. I've played
FarCry 5, Battlefield, and a couple of other games and "not one" lockup or blue screen
UNTIL I ran latest versions of CpuZ benchamrk utility and AIDA 64's Stress test.

I get a blue screen when trying to run the AVX/AVX-512 benchmarks in cpuZ (It states that
it's beta so I kind of blew it off), but then I got hard lockups AIDA 64's stress test and
started to get nervous. Both the blue screen and hard lockup happend within 2 secs of running
those tests. Meanwhile all my other software is still running great. So I moved my offsets down
to 4.1Ghz for AVX/AVX-512 to get these "two benchmarks" running. And that seems to have fixed it.

As far as i know they're using AVX in instructions in 3DMark, prime95 and OCCT, and I can run them
without "any" issues. So I'm asking the age old question...Do I have a stability problem or is
it the software? (cpuZ and AIDA stress test)

-thank you !!!!

3DMark

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/17041168
http://www.3dmark.com/spy/5033785

Prime95

From your information given. Look like you have stability issues. Testing heavy AVX2 and AVX512 module during your current setting may shorten your CPU lifespan. CPU Z AVX2 module use both port 0 and port 1 from Haswell Base Microarchitect through Coffeelake full load.
CPUZ Z AVX512 module use all port 0 + 1 and port 5 on your CPU full load.

AVX offset you did forcing your CPU clock same as the core using but by architecture it must be reduce clock your CPU both test modules
above. It was normally you getting blue screen with it.*
W11CANARY 26090.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

restsugavan wrote:
From your information given. Look like you have stability issues. Testing heavy AVX2 and AVX512 module during your current setting may shorten your CPU lifespan. CPU Z AVX2 module use both port 0 and port 1 from Haswell Base Microarchitect through Coffeelake full load.

AVX offset you did forcing your CPU clock same as the core using but by architecture it must be reduce clock your CPU both test modules

I've got my problem figured out. My setting are now 4.3Ghz all cores and my AVX is at 4.1Ghz and AVX 512 is at 3.9Ghz. I also noticed in
the 1503 BIOS that the cache shows it's set at 2400, but in reality the board sets it at 2700 if you leave that field on AUTO.

restsugavan wrote:

btw...thanks for responding