cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6E: Any clue on what is the expected i9-7940X overclock?

Inkar
Level 7
Hi,

Does anyone have a clue about what is the all core expected i9-7940X (non-avx) overclock range with the Rampage VI Extreme and an AIO?.
I know nothing is guaranteed other than the factory specs. I just can't find any reviews with this kind of data for the 7940X.

Thanks.
83 REPLIES 83

CSN7 wrote:
Well you mean Threadripper is almost on pair with Intels 16 ... I wouldn't even say almost, Intel still smokes AMD honestly.

Well we'll see what is possible with my cooling on 16 Cores. Got the 7920X to 5.0-5.3 Ghz depending on the benchmark ofc.

Glad I could help! But you did the work, so props to you Sir!

hah,yeah if every intel specimen is capable of OC than Intel destroys amd by all means in every aspect.(as my sweet i7 7700k vs ryzen hehe,that was a great chip).Hope your new CPU get great results! 🙂 Anyway,I always want moooree,moreee 😄 Honestly,I should be satisfied with this ...it gets the job done very nicely on motherboard that's way high end for this CPU and it's use(in my case anyway) 🙂
What? 5,2Ghz?wow 🙂 I think my would explode even by booting in windows 😉
I'm curious ,what radiators do you use and how many?

I have bought a 7940X and have not had the chance to fire it up yet since I am still gathering parts for my system. Actually it is very time consuming to research parts when building from scratch. Anyway, I have everything but some cooling parts and then I will be able to build.

I have the Rampage VI Extreme for this build.

Right now I am missing the pump (decided on the EK Dual D5) the waterblock that I was between the monoblock or a heatkiller + VRM waterblock and of course several small parts , barbs, fittings etc that will have next month since I really have a lot of work and can't find freaking time. I am just taking breaks and write some posts on the forums.

Anyway, I really hope that the 7940X I have in its box will manage some overclocking since that is the reason I chose it over the 7980X for fear of not be able to cool the big beast properly. I will start without delidding and run it like that for some time and then I will delid. I intent to redo my loop with hardline so that will be the time of delidding.

@CSN7

How comes and you did not go for the 7980X? I guess not for the price since those CPUs are already quite high but their price difference is not that much compared to the total price of the systems their going in. In my case the difference was 320 Euros (I don't pay VAT buying as a company in Europe) which is not ignorable but not much vs the 000s of the system cost.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Rob_W_
Level 12
As An example, I have a 7980xe and on a kraken x62 3.9 ghz was safe temps, then delided it and could go to 4.3 safe temps, now have custom loop and 4.7ghz temps mid to high 60’s,anything above and things start getting toasty.
24/7 running at 4.6ghz.*

Dronson
Level 7
Rob W, your overclock results - its all cores, under Prime95 or AIda64 with AVX enable ?

Dronson wrote:
Rob W, your overclock results - its all cores, under Prime95 or AIda64 with AVX enable ?

sorry, that should have read mid to high 70's at 4.7ghz that's why I run at 4.6ghz for 24/7
I only use realbench for testing and if it passes then I stress test, if it passes both then I'm good to go with any apps or games.
no longer use prime95 and not used alda64, so many times I have heard of people running successfully for hours and then machine crashes when apps are run,
so I find realbench a good real world test, ( but each to there own I guess)
I have avx _3 and avx512 -5 all cores at 4.6ghz temps whilst gaming tend to be around 50deg
the example was just the differences with deliding/aio and custom loop.

Dronson
Level 7
Hm. Im have exactly like you config, expept CPU - 7920. EK Waterblock, D5, 420rad. May be im have a bad sample. But some cores on my CPU on 4.4Ghz, rise over 100's very quick under cinebench.

Dronson wrote:
Hm. Im have exactly like you config, expept CPU - 7920. EK Waterblock, D5, 420rad. May be im have a bad sample. But some cores on my CPU on 4.4Ghz, rise over 100's very quick under cinebench.

I will try cinibench and let you know,
I initially had some high temp cores, I even re-delided but was able to bring them down with bios settings ( eventually!)
Will pass on settings I have when on computer. *

I'm late joining the party, after almost a year I use i7 7820x, yesterday I sold it and now I use an i9 7940x.
Still undelidded but for now this cpu run at 4.7Ghz all core using AVX -3 and AVX512 -5 with 1.208v ( Idont know if this too high or normal or exceptional)
Maximum temp when streessed using Realbench for 1 hour is around 83c and when tested using HWBot x265 overkill mode 4x (4K) I reach 80c

So if I delid my 7940x is there any chance to achieve maybe 4.9Ghz All core with vcore maybe below 1.275v or even 1.25v?

fireedo wrote:
I'm late joining the party, after almost a year I use i7 7820x, yesterday I sold it and now I use an i9 7940x.
Still undelidded but for now this cpu run at 4.7Ghz all core using AVX -3 and AVX512 -5 with 1.208v ( Idont know if this too high or normal or exceptional)
Maximum temp when streessed using Realbench for 1 hour is around 83c and when tested using HWBot x265 overkill mode 4x (4K) I reach 80c

So if I delid my 7940x is there any chance to achieve maybe 4.9Ghz All core with vcore maybe below 1.275v or even 1.25v?

4.9 is very optimistic, even for good samples and non AVX loads. 4.8 might be achievable, very good sample you've got there with the applied voltage.

Abaidor wrote:
@fireedo

May I ask what cooling you are using? I have the same CPU and my temps are getting a lot higher under stress @ 4.7Ghz. I am using a EK Monoblock.

A lot of the time you're limited by the contact between the die and the heat spreader, so good cooling will only get you so far unless you opt to delid.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
4.9 is very optimistic, even for good samples and non AVX loads. 4.8 might be achievable, very good sample you've got there with the applied voltage.

A lot of the time you're limited by the contact between the die and the heat spreader, so good cooling will only get you so far unless you opt to delid.

It looks like this might be the case with mine - I have a big MO-RA 420 Pro external rad with 9X ML140 Pros & Dual D5s plus EK Monoblock. Water temps are not my issue and my 1080Ti never exceeds 40C even overclocked (2065Mhz + 12Ghz RAM). (That is now with Summer Ambients hitting 26-27C during the day)

My 7940X however if bumped to 4.7Ghz all cores (need 1.22V) some cores hit the 100s under stress testing. So for now I have 4 Cores @ 4.7Ghz , 4 Cores @ 4.6Ghz and the rest at 4.2 GHz and stock voltage.

I have not delided but it looks like I will have to in order to improve temps. For the moment though performance is excellent for me as it is so I might enjoy the warranty a little bit more.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |